Speculation: Our new Captain

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Is it possible that Dahlin gets traded (maybe reading too much into the Mitts departure)? The FA market has some high level RD targets (Pesce, Roy, Carrier etc). Arizona has a some solid young offensive talent, a bunch of guys who are frustrated and a need on D... does 26 fetch Keller+ and use the $'s saved to get a solid RD FA. Just curious what the plan is.
Never.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
IMO, Dahlin takes the captaincy next year, Tuch and either Girgs or Cozens (depending on whether or not the former comes back) are the alternates

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
One of the bigger mistakes was bringing Okposo back and not handing the leadership over to the young guys. I know real leaders don't need a letter bla bla, but it still holds weight to be the official captain of a team. Just look at Quinn in Vancouver.
Disagree. Keep the leadership from the kids as long as you can.

You have to learn leadership. I've trained over 10,000 Soldiers in my career, and can count the number of natural born leaders I've encountered on one hand. It's a trained characteristic.

I like that the Sabres took the letter away from a kid (Eichel) and gave it to a veteran (Okposo) supported by another veteran (Girgensons), and for a little while, another veteran (Johnson).

Dahlin is entering his 7th NHL season, with 3 seasons learning from Okposo. That's what's important.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dahlin’s passion, desire and work ethic are obvious. All I’ve ever heard is that he sat under the tree of the veterans and absorbed every he could. He isn’t getting it because he’s their best player. He’s their best player because he gets it.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Dahlin’s passion, desire and work ethic are obvious. All I’ve ever heard is that he sat under the tree of the veterans and absorbed every he could. He isn’t getting it because he’s their best player. He’s their best player because he gets it.
Dahlin is the only one I feel that understands the responsibility of being a captain..

He will wear the C with such honor and pride.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I think Dahlin is the best candidate, I do question his mental fortitude, he seems to get frustrated easily and it seems to reflect in his play, but he's a young guy, plenty of time to mature. I don't think anyone questions his work ethic and this is his team.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I'm 95% of the way here.

BUT.....he bailed on pressers after the CBJ implosion. Granted, Kyle told everyone else to bolt and he'd take the heat. BUT......if he really "got it", he would have been there right alongside Kyle.

Like I said, I'm nearly to the point of "Dahlin is the next C, no questions"............but let's see what happens the rest of the season.

Reactions: oldgoalie

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I think the correct decision is to name Dahlin captain as soon as possible. Send a strong message that he is our captain. He's signed long term, he's allegedly got all the intangibles, and he's our best skater. No reason to wait a year or two in my opinion.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I didn’t say right now. Years from now. One of the few that show heart on this team.

Being the Captain shouldn’t always mean you’re the best player.
Example: Okposo..lol.......

100% Dahlin next year. Maybe Zemgus for the rest of this year. Tuch will get one of the A's, and the other will probably go to Cozens or Thompson. Unless they bring Zemgus back.

EDIT - some COL fans are saying Byram is captain material, but I can't see him getting a letter next year.
NOT this Colorado fan.....

Bo has some maturing to do..... That's not bad. He's young. Let him have some fun in the meantime.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Disagree. Keep the leadership from the kids as long as you can.

You have to learn leadership. I've trained over 10,000 Soldiers in my career, and can count the number of natural born leaders I've encountered on one hand. It's a trained characteristic.

I like that the Sabres took the letter away from a kid (Eichel) and gave it to a veteran (Okposo) supported by another veteran (Girgensons), and for a little while, another veteran (Johnson).

Dahlin is entering his 7th NHL season, with 3 seasons learning from Okposo. That's what's important.
I could have responded to any of the pro-Dahlin posts so I am not calling you out....

I love Dahlin the player. No questions about his talent and hockey skills and abilities.

I know nothing about Dahlin the team mate. Maybe it's just me but when has he really stepped up in a difficult tenuous situation affecting personnel ... like holding others accountable for sloppy play, lack of effort, etc.?? Where did he stand on withholding team-crowd acknowledgement after wins at home? (I honestly don't know the answer to this one. But Okposo was wrong if he decided there won't be any sticks raised or ahdn claps.)

That's not intended as a knock but we all should remember what the role of team Captain is.... One is liaison and representative between coach, management and players in the locker room. That is a really, really tough thing to pull off. Second is the same role between on ice officials and the coach.

Irrespective of critiques about Kyle, you could see he had the respect of the refs. He didn't always win arguments and battles, but he knew how to argue for the next one. And was taken seriously by the refs.

I have to point out that Dahlin is not liked by the referee's. They don't like how he hands out punishment and rarely give him the benefit of the doubt in adverse situations. This can change over time.

So let it.

The Sabres had co-Captains a number of years back. I didn't really agree with the concept but understood that choosing between Drury and Briere was likely too divisive to the locker room. I'm not advocated that as a solution but rather, I see nothing wrong with delaying a decision on Captaincy until next season at the earliest.

Let Rasmus grow into the role.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm interested to know if Dahlin becomes more vocal in the room / on the ice with any personal expectations, if there was any part of him trying not to step on KO's toes.

Regardless of who is selected as C or A, they'll need a core group of non-letter guys that support them 100%. This is a group that has been built on good vibes, but they need to be ok with their friends becoming more demanding

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Late to the party but I definitely think Tuch's hat is and should be in the ring along with Dahlin's. They are the only two candidates on the current roster for next year's Captaincy. It's currently like 72% Dahlin and 28% Tuch imo.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I’m surprised to learn in this thread that there are people that don’t think Dahlin is captain material
For me it isn't that I don't think Dahlin can be captain material, but just like I did with Kyle, I do not see the need to rush into making this decision.

The leadership seemed to be more present when they had three alternates and everyone working for the greater good at the end of 21-22. Making Kyles voice the lone authority detracted from what some of the other guys brought to the motivational table, imo.

I was told in the last Captain thread that Okposo was the only correct choice and posters were offended that I dare suggest keeping the status quo. Kyle was a great statesman, but he seemed to be a pretty poor motivator and oversaw a team that wasn't ready to play on the majority of nights.

Zero of us know who is the best motivator in that dressing room so anyone insisting the captain can only be one specific player is short-sighted and should open their mind to the discussion a bit. Just my perspective.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Care to explain your surprise? Or make the affirmative case? Those with doubts have articulated them.

He enjoys leading by example, but has become a leading voice in the locker room when the moment demands it.

“I think it starts from day-to-day stuff. Winning every day and the small details really matter to get respect from the guys,” he said. “I’m not that guy that talks a lot. If I have something to say I’m going to make sure I can do it too. I just try to compete every day. In games, if something happens I’ll be there for the guys and they’ll be there for me. We’re a group.”

*insert a million quotes of players saying Dahls pushes everyone to be better in practice* It's pretty obviously known hes a player who demands more out of his teammates.

Reactions: Chainshot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

He enjoys leading by example, but has become a leading voice in the locker room when the moment demands it.

“I think it starts from day-to-day stuff. Winning every day and the small details really matter to get respect from the guys,” he said. “I’m not that guy that talks a lot. If I have something to say I’m going to make sure I can do it too. I just try to compete every day. In games, if something happens I’ll be there for the guys and they’ll be there for me. We’re a group.”

*insert a million quotes of players saying Dahls pushes everyone to be better in practice* It's pretty obviously known hes a player who demands more out of his teammates.
What if Dahlin is the force that drives the guys to work to improve their games?

And maybe Tuch or Krebs are the strongest at pep talks before the games to get the boys adrenaline going and ready for the puck drop?

And maybe Gus or Tage are the statesmen that have the cool heads that lead the interaction with the refs, the press, and the fans?

Three alternate captains, all bringing their abilities to a certain area while they all learn to become better all around leaders.

There will be plenty of time for a final decision to be made. The best leadership this team has had in recent years was when they were running the three alternates After Eichel was moved, and I think that if you let the leadership evolve naturally with three alternates, by this time next year, it will probably be very obvious who is bringing the most positive leadership to the team, and an educated decision can be made then.

Reactions: Zman5778 and HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Dahlin, Tuch, and Cozens could all get the C. Dahlin is the guy that I would bet on getting it. But, I won't be shocked at all if Tuch or Cozens get it, either.

If it were up to me, I'd probably go with Tuch. I like the fact that he has experience with other NHL teams, especially his time in Vegas.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Care to explain your surprise? Or make the affirmative case? Those with doubts have articulated them.
As stated above we’re not in the room to know what’s up inside there, but I believe it’s been said before maybe by Okposo (?) in an interview somewhere that Dahlin has been the one to voice his displeasure when times are tough.

Dahlin’s give a shit meter is full throttle every night. Not only is he our best player he’s also our most physical and dirty player. He’s a tone setter.

I also don’t take it lightly that the team chose him to be Zach Bensons room mate. Bringing along one of the youngest players in the entire league and showing the way not only on the ice but off of it as well is a green flag for me.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Adams pretty much confirmed that Dahlin will be next Captain in the Embedded video

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think Tuch is prone to some malaise that you don't really want out of a captain. Can't have a guy who can be a debbie-downer leading the team.

Dahlin is the guy, to me. I think Cozens and Tuch should get the A's but I could hear an argument for Krebs if he ends up with a bigger role next season.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think Tuch is prone to some malaise that you don't really want out of a captain. Can't have a guy who can be a debbie-downer leading the team.

Dahlin is the guy, to me. I think Cozens and Tuch should get the A's but I could hear an argument for Krebs if he ends up with a bigger role next season.
Im a bit down on Tuch. I just dont see the same hunger as last year, and those 'too cute' plays he consistently does that leads to TOs isn't something I want the younger players buying into. Maybe it's injuries (what else is new), maybe it's being a new father, maybe it's his linemates (that def plays a role), etc...regardless of the reason, until he reels in those dumb ass turnovers and shows a more consistent effort (like we saw last year)- he can wear an A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad