Speculation: Our new Captain

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
IMO, I'd wait like Toronto did. Give out the A's, see what happens next year, and when the answer becomes clear, whether that's Dahlin, Tuch, or whoever, name the C at that point.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
One of the bigger mistakes was bringing Okposo back and not handing the leadership over to the young guys. I know real leaders don't need a letter bla bla, but it still holds weight to be the official captain of a team. Just look at Quinn in Vancouver.

Reactions: JThorne

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Dahlin. Better question is who gets his apple?

I know Tuch has occasionally worn an A, but i don’t think it’s been a permanent fixture. So I imagine he gets one. My question is, assuming we also move Girgensons, who gets the other?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
It's been said upthread, but I think they should and will wait to name a captain until before next season. Several posters, myself included, believe that trading KO to Florida was a sign of respect that the organization has for him. With that in mind, I think that naming a captain immediately comes off as a little disrespectful in a - finally, that guy's outta here and we can name a real captain (or similar) sort of way way. Sort of like getting married a week after you divorce your spouse.

I'd name an alternate - someone who could be a candidate for captain next season as you don't want to rip the A off next year. I guess Tuch could fit that bill - but it could be someone else.

Ultimately, I think Dahlin will be named captain and I believe he is the correct choice..

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It will be Dahlin this off-season, for better or worse. He's an excellent player (though not as good as he thinks he is) and he's a firey competitor (though I wish he expressed it more against opponents instead of snapping his stick after blown coverages).

Still, something feels off about him personality-wise that would give me pause if it were my letter to hand out. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I can hear it in his voice sometimes. If we had another clear option, Dahlin feels like the perfect star Euro to wear an A but not be THE GUY in the room.

Cozens is my dark horse due to the core of his Canadian peers we are intentionally assembling. He'd be a natural leader for those guys.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
IMO, I'd wait like Toronto did. Give out the A's, see what happens next year, and when the answer becomes clear, whether that's Dahlin, Tuch, or whoever, name the C at that point.

Toronto picked the wrong guy. Coaches and management should know these players to the extent of picking a captain. This should be done soon.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
100% Dahlin next year. Maybe Zemgus for the rest of this year. Tuch will get one of the A's, and the other will probably go to Cozens or Thompson. Unless they bring Zemgus back.

EDIT - some COL fans are saying Byram is captain material, but I can't see him getting a letter next year.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
They stay with As until the end of the season.

As for leadership qualities, I don’t see a lot on the team. Tuch is a cheerleader. Dahlin is skilled and a pest. None of that necessarily = leader.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
After that 9 goal loss to Columbus, where Dahlin bailed on the presser, leaving Okposo, Girgs, Tuch and Thompson to take all the heat for the team, I think it is safe to say that Dahlin is not ready to wear the C.

Put an A on Tuch and Thompson along with Dahlin and run three alternates and see who really steps up their leadership role next year before making any rushed decisions.

Maybe Cozens or Krebs make a case for a letter too as some others are predicting.

Bottom line, this decision does not need to be rushed into.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
He's their best player, their most competitive player and the face of the franchise.

He has grown more comfortable in front of a microphone, seems to be well-respected in the room, and is locked up until 2032.

He can even play the veteran card with 419 games played, good for 4th on the team and only 18 games behind Tuch.

If you don't think they have been grooming Dahlin for the job, I don't know what to tell you.

I mean the only box he doesn't tick is the cliched scowl over a perpetual 5-o'clock shadow.

Reactions: Dingo44

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The more interesting discussion to me is the As.

Even if Girgs comes back does he keep it? Or do they make the clean sweep and anoint a new group entirely from the young core. Adams said as recently as Friday that they're looking for leadership to come from within from players they've been teaching to be leaders and Okposo seemd to echo the same.

I think their choices are going to come from the group that they have committed to with long-term contracts: Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Cozens and Thompson, as well as Tuch given his spot on the roster pecking order and his affinity for the franchise.

To me, the best argument for keeping Girgs is as a placeholder to see who steps up next year into the vacuum, whether it's one of the above, or somebody pushing their way in. By all accounts, Byram is that type of personality, and his departure from the Avalanche was partly fueled by the reality he was never going to get that kind of opportunity in Denver. He was already a leader for a bunch of our guys on Team Canada.

I love Tuch; he seems like a great guy who loves the franchise and his teammates. He works hard, has a presence and is clearly someone heavily leaned on in all situations. I don't like the fact that he's a UFA in 2 years and might be a hard contract decision depending on what the players coming behind him do. I'm also not sure he has the type of thirst to lead that Byram is described as having. I get the sense Alex is more of an obliger who tends to fret over his own game and is uncomfortable taking charge. But he is certainly an obvious choice and I don't think a bad one.

Power's still a kid and an introvert. Might get a look here on his 3rd contract, but he's not a consideration now.

Dahlin will be the new captain.

Samuelsson is pretty clearly someone who is at or near the heart of the room: a beloved teammate with some gravitas. He was the captain of his USNDTP year, which I see as a signficant indicator of his leadership skills. I see him as having a shot, but it's a long one. He's got 2 strikes against him: he might not be indispensible enough; and naming him captain might change the kind of leader he is right now, and not in a good way.

Cozens has the contract, the role and the competitiveness. To me the biggest question is age and maturity. I'd be looking at how he handled the adversity of this year and whether he grew from the experience. Do you hand him the letter now, or give it to a more senior guy and cast him as likely the next in line? He's definitely someone the organization views as a developing leader.

My first choice for a new letter though is Thompson. He's got the contract, good tenure in the room, the respect of the coach and the GM, and he's obviously the guy the team looks to up-front to make a difference. But I also think people tend to underestimate the kid's character: he's a self-made player who's overcome a ton of adversity in his career to get to where he is and continues to stoicly push through obstacles without complaining or finger-pointing.

Reactions: Kulich Man

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Sabres were going to name a new captain but they came up short!

Seriously whomever they give it to can they roll it out with him wearing a goat head jersey?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Punt the decision down the road one year or give it to girgs or Tuch.

Then decide long term if it's Dahlin or Cozens for me personally. (Based on next years performances)

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Whomever channels their best Mark Messier in that dressing room should get the C.

This team needs someone who can give the pregame speech and get the team fired up and ready to play. They came out flat 85% of the time with Okposo as the C, I think it is time for someone with more fire and motivational skill.

I don't know who best fills that role. Hopefully the coaching staff does.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
Is it possible that Dahlin gets traded (maybe reading too much into the Mitts departure)? The FA market has some high level RD targets (Pesce, Roy, Carrier etc). Arizona has a some solid young offensive talent, a bunch of guys who are frustrated and a need on D... does 26 fetch Keller+ and use the $'s saved to get a solid RD FA. Just curious what the plan is.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Is it possible that Dahlin gets traded (maybe reading too much into the Mitts departure)? The FA market has some high level RD targets (Pesce, Roy, Carrier etc). Arizona has a some solid young offensive talent, a bunch of guys who are frustrated and a need on D... does 26 fetch Keller+ and use the $'s saved to get a solid RD FA. Just curious what the plan is.

Zero chance he is traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad