Speculation: Our new Captain

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If you watch the trade deadline Sabres embedded video, Adams calls Dahlin as he as about to trade Okposo. Unless I totally mis-read the scene, it seems pretty clear from that conversation that management thinks he is the next leader.

Reactions: Ygo

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Late to the party but I definitely think Tuch's hat is and should be in the ring along with Dahlin's. They are the only two candidates on the current roster for next year's Captaincy. It's currently like 72% Dahlin and 28% Tuch imo.

Care to be more specific with your percentages?

This is where I'm at actually. lean a bit more than that even towards Dahlin.

Tuch gets the A.
I don't want Girgs on this team getting an A.
Probly a toss up then with power and TT, maybe both, I guess.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If you watch the trade deadline Sabres embedded video, Adams calls Dahlin as he as about to trade Okposo. Unless I totally mis-read the scene, it seems pretty clear from that conversation that management thinks he is the next leader.

You didn't mis-read. It's a lock

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don’t see Captain material on this team
Fairburn partially agrees with the first part of your statement (quoted above).

Fairburn:

"Over the last couple weeks I have started to think they need to leave the letter off right now. Everybody."

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought it was forgone conclusion that Dahlin was the best choice and would be the next captain.

I've been re-thinking after listening to Bakes and Fairburn.

More Fairburn:

"They need to leave it open and the new coach needs to have a lot of input on that decision."

"Especially the last few days; I was waitin', as Kyle Okposo left who was going to step up. A big part of being captain is you're the one standing after they lose..... and Kyle Okposo was always ready....Rasmus Dahlin wasn't always that guy, he's so competitive, he gets so angry after they lose that sometimes he takes time to cool down, but that's part of it. I think he spoke most like a captain probably over the last couple days. The other guy Kris and I have been talking about a lot and more so today especially after the way he spoke is Dylan Cozens. He didn't play well this year so thats part of the problem. You can't put the C on the guy that just had a very dissapointing season.........But he has the makeup. 100 percent. Of all the guys who spoke the last few days.
You don't win games with press scrums.... but this is a consistent thing in the couple years covering the Sabres that he is the one, he says all the right things and it comes from a genuine place with him, and his mind is sharp. He's in the right place all the time. He was the one early in the season calling out the team for not having enought FU in their game.... Then the GM kind of walked back his comments for him.
He was the one today, first thing out of his mouth was you can't help feel that it was our fault....but also was open to the idea of bringing in more veterans....I want the competition...we do need grittier players - he's not afraid to say these things. He's also a super competitive guy. His rising candidacy is why I would leave the letter off for a little while.
Can he go and earn it? How does the leadership organically develop over the next 6 to 12 months.... Once you give it to Rasmus Dahlin.... you're not taking that thing off. There's plenty of time. You don't need to rush."

Fairburn still see's a top 6 center. Expects him to bounce back in a big way. Bakes has no worries about Cozens moving forward.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Fairburn talked about the captaincy here:

42:55 (youtube)
46:07 (spotify)

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Personally, I would run 3 Alternate captains this season. Don't put any extra pressure on any one individual and let them lead by committee. At this point, that dressing room needs more leadership than any one guy on this team can solely handle.

All the speculation and certainty here on the subject should be thrown out the window, imo. The new Coach will most likely have the final say on the decision and no one knows how that is going to play out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad