Post-Game Talk: Our first loser point!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why does this team leave point men so open and have a collapse mentality in their own end? This is solely on the coaches system.

Oilers are a garbage team beaten by another garbage team. They will be hard pressed to make the playoffs and if they do they will do nothing. I hope there will be some drastic changes forthcoming.

Team's not worth watching live. That's why I always record and FF lol

The system is just trash.

The team collapses to the middle, but they never pick up anyone around the net. Watch Keith on the last tying goal. He's up crosschecking some guy in the slot while the eventual goal scorer is just chilling right at the edge of the crease behind him.

Then watch them defending the rush. The defense play thirty feet off the blue line and the forwards are supposed to force the puck to the outside at the blueline. This gives the other team free entries along the boards every single rush. Then the kicker is the forwards are usually flatfooted at the blueline, so the puck carrier can just cut back to the middle in the pocket between the D and forwards. If that doesn't happen, the other teams' forwards just skate by the stationary Oilers forwards and turn every ordinary rush into a 3 on 2 and sometimes even a 4 on 2 if the Oilers center doesn't skate back hard(which they never do) and a D activates.

Reactions: Cloned

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Oilers have the best counterattacking forward in the league(and maybe ever).

Not defending the blue line(like basically in every modern NHL system) and focusing on creating turnovers there to spring McDavid is just mind-numbingly stupid.

That was the biggest thing Boudreau changed on the Canucks and their offense has exploded. Way more rush chances and possession time.

Reactions: tardigrade81

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He won't tolerate any shit. You play his way or the high way. He will hold everyone to account, McDavid and Drai included.
Im not sure if you’re right on this or not because I don’t know how various coaches act in the room. But let’s assume that you are right. That kinda begs the question … why do the most highly tuned hockey machines on the planet - guys who have played hockey all their lives, and know damn well what is required - need someone to yell at them in order to play right?

Didn’t watch the game today because I knew it wouldn’t be worth getting up at 3:00 AM on NY Day to watch. Saw the highlights and good grief Smith was freaking terrible. That OT goal was truly pitiful to behold.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Im not sure if you’re right on this or not because I don’t know how various coaches act in the room. But let’s assume that you are right. That kinda begs the question … why do the most highly tuned hockey machines on the planet - guys who have played hockey all their lives, and know damn well what is required - need someone to yell at them in order to play right?

Didn’t watch the game today because I knew it wouldn’t be worth getting up at 3:00 AM on NY Day to watch. Saw the highlights and good grief Smith was freaking terrible. That OT goal was truly pitiful to behold.

Ever wonder why teams play differently in playoffs? Last few minutes of a close game?

Its different intensity and compete levels. Some coaches have a higher demand all the time. Some players are wired with more. Some teams demand it internally.

Neither Tippett nor the captains on this team have that ability. Time for a change. Ice time, linemates, special team, etc are great motivators at any level. Doesnt have to be screaming and yelling. But it can be

Just cant keep rewarding this shit

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The Oilers have the best counterattacking forward in the league(and maybe ever).

Not defending the blue line(like basically in every modern NHL system) and focusing on creating turnovers there to spring McDavid is just mind-numbingly stupid.

That was the biggest thing Boudreau changed on the Canucks and their offense has exploded. Way more rush chances and possession time.
Agreed

And change the coach.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I dont disagree it was an interference penalty. But name or sight another instance were a penalty would be called in the last minute of a game for the same play.

It doesnt happen, well at least not to our team anyway.

Im on board for ditching Tipp, but want nothing to do with Babcock. Sign me up for Torts, these players have too long a leash.

Edit: the only real player of influence on our team that Torts might rub the wrong way is Drai....might be the fire under his ass that he needs at least once per season
I'd go with John Tortorella as well. Plays the stars big minutes but demands accountability and is a taskmaster for the rest of the roster. He is like Darryl Sutter but he hates the media and our media deserves to be hated.

You play his system or you don't play. You need to play positional fundamental hockey or you don't play. End of story.

If he decides to start an internal or public feud with McDavid or Draisaitl he gets fired. That should be made apparent to Torts from day one. My only question is why hasn't he already been hired. Two or three weeks ago it should have been done.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Get a hard ass coach now. I d rather see some top line guys pout on the bench while some guys that wanna play the right way do so.

Cant watch Leons crap any longer. He needs a coach.
Took Ovechkin 2 decades to figure it out and then he won the cup.
Hopefully Draisaitl will learn quicker and still be an Oiler

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Took Ovechkin 2 decades to figure it out and then he won the cup.
Hopefully Draisaitl will learn quicker and still be an Oiler
Seems to have forgotten about it then, with three consecutive 1st round exits...

I don't even disagree about those parts of Drai's game (and body language) that should be fixed. Just doubt it'd get this team as it's constructed any closer to a Cup.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Yesterday was probably one of the worst goaltending performances I have ever seen from this team (not saying much). Bring up Skinner

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The game tying goal was cause of a blatant interference that’s a penalty almost every time

Bang. There were 35 secs left there. Islanders tied it on a shot from the point in which an interference prevented our coverage. The puck hit somebody on the way in. The Devils had 4 goals where the puck inadvertently hit something, and was fluttering or bouncing on the way in. The degree of puck luck had was incredible, and kind of the way the puck bounces now and again. Replay that game 10 times and the Oilers win 9 times.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ever wonder why teams play differently in playoffs? Last few minutes of a close game?

Its different intensity and compete levels. Some coaches have a higher demand all the time. Some players are wired with more. Some teams demand it internally.

Neither Tippett nor the captains on this team have that ability. Time for a change. Ice time, linemates, special team, etc are great motivators at any level. Doesnt have to be screaming and yelling. But it can be

Just cant keep rewarding this shit
lol who is this poster? Darnell Nurse played 62minutes in a playoff game. With intensity. Was one of the most amazing performances I've seen by any player in 50yrs of watching hockey. He did this while his wife was in hospital having a baby. That isn't just incredible dedication, its super human. You want to talk about compete? That was the third most minutes any NHL player has had in a game.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
@BudBundy are you serious about that Hamilton play.?

Delayed penalties get blown down all the time when a pass is merely deflected.
Hamilton actually directed the puck where he was aiming.

It's honestly like you've never watched a hockey before with that statement
I remember back when you weren’t always wrong. And you were nicer.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Now, why did Lagesson played only 3 min??
I like having 7D over 12 Forwards though. Its taking care of this teams resources.

Forwards play more, getting more involved and cut away the least impact 12th forward. While 4K clearly as for now dont hild a 6D role, sharing it with Lags (who I really thought would hold a top6D spot this year).

Hopefully Lagesson makes 4K redundent comes trading deadline.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

In fairness to Smith, in the minute prior he stopped a partial breakaway AND faced a frickin two on 0. The winner was weak, but the team collapsed like a lawn chair.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The system is just trash.

The team collapses to the middle, but they never pick up anyone around the net. Watch Keith on the last tying goal. He's up crosschecking some guy in the slot while the eventual goal scorer is just chilling right at the edge of the crease behind him.

Then watch them defending the rush. The defense play thirty feet off the blue line and the forwards are supposed to force the puck to the outside at the blueline. This gives the other team free entries along the boards every single rush. Then the kicker is the forwards are usually flatfooted at the blueline, so the puck carrier can just cut back to the middle in the pocket between the D and forwards. If that doesn't happen, the other teams' forwards just skate by the stationary Oilers forwards and turn every ordinary rush into a 3 on 2 and sometimes even a 4 on 2 if the Oilers center doesn't skate back hard(which they never do) and a D activates.

The Tippett Trap is really just the anti-trap. They should hand out flowers to the opposing forwards when they let them in to the Oiler's D zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad