Speculation: Our defensive pairings next year?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just from what has been said it would seem that Ottawa would be pretty happy to stand pat. That's not overly surprising given our success without two of our better defensive players not even being available for most of the year (Karlsson, Cowen).

With that in mind, and noting that BMurr talked to Wiercioch about Gonchar's spot last year. How do you see our pairings playing out if we don't sign/trade for another defenceman? Certainly the depth is there to not have to do so.

Personally I would like to see something like...

Jared Cowen - Erik Karlsson
Marc Methot - Patrick Wiercioch
Chris Phillips - Eric Gryba

With one of Benoit/Ceci (maybe an off-chance Rutkowski) being the back-ups to the right side and Borowiecki/Sdao being the back-ups to the left. The reason I've paired Cowen with Karlsson and Methot with Wiercioch is just for stability. Right now Cowen and Wiercioch are both less experienced and less talented than their counterparts (Karlsson, Methot) and since Methot and Karlsson will likely get the bulk of the playing time they'll end up on the ice together at times anyway. This way both Cowen and Wiercioch have a bit of insulation and strong support that they can also learn and grow from.

Thoughts?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
At the moment, I think it starts out:

Methot - EK
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Weircioch

I hope Weircioch can learn to play the right side.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Methot - EK
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Weircioch

He should spend all summer working on transitioning to that side, along with (continued) work on his strength and skating (foot speed).

I'd like to see:
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Wericioch
Phillips-Gryba

as the top 6. But I agree that Weircioch starting in the bottom pairing is entirely plausible. If Weircioch makes another jump in his development that's a very good group. Cowen had a rough year, but he considering how good he looked pre-injury and against the Rangers before that I have to think it was injury related and he'll bounce back.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

Methot - EK
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Weircioch

This, with Boro as the 7th. I can't see MacLean breaking up EK/Meth with how well the pairing worked this season. Cowen and Gryba will be a solid shutdown pair.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sold as Cowen-Gryba as a pairing.

Also, I really really hope that Wiercioch can learn how to play the right side well. That makes or breaks our defense. I think it should be expected that the Methot-Karlsson pairing stays intact. Then I'd probably go with Cowen-Wiercioch, followed by Phillips-Gryba.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Couldn't be less sold on Wiercioch as a top 4 guy, nor am I sold on him playing the right side. Need to acquire someone, very important. Dan Boyle please!!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Cowen and Gryba isn't something I'm looking forward to since they've both been prone to defensive lapses

I think I'd much rather Cowen and Weircioch: lets both players focus on their strengths

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I think this represents the most realistic option:
Cowen-karlsson
Weircoch-Methot
Phillips-Gryba

Methot is the most versatile D-man with his size, speed and experience.
Sure it breaks up the Methot/karlsson pairing, but there is no other really credible option. Asking Weircoch to play his opposite side when he just is attempting to become a regular NHL player is unfair
and will likely inhibit his development.

Phillips could conceivably play the opposite side. His age and declining mobility probably make this a less likely option.

Tape2Tape

Aug 18, 2010
I think both Weircioch and Gryba will get the chance to have regular spots, but I still feel it's in our best interest to acquire another D for the short term. With the loss of Gonchar and Lundin, those are two bodies that need to be replaced either from within or elsewhere. Add in the potential loss of Benoit, and that's three guys who played this year who we don't have the luxury of using if there are injuries etc.

I'd be most comfortable with the following (under the assumption Benoit isn't brought back):

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-FA/Trade
Phillips-Weircioch
Gryba

If Benoit is back in the fold, I think that eliminates the need for a "top 4" signing, as you can move Weircioch up and slide Gryba in, but I'd still like to see us bring in a depth guy.

I think Boro is still a "project" and might need another year under Luke to work on his game. I'm sure he'll get a ton of ice in Bingo.

Ceci might be ready for 2014-15, and if that were the case he slides in nicely for Phillips. By then both Gryba, Weircioch and Cowen have a few seasons of experience so you can comfortably bring in another young guy.

Long term, if Gryba and Weircioch keep improving, I'm very comfortable with:

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba-Ceci
Boro

I'm also hoping we get a pleasant surprise and Wikstrand turns out to be a serviceable NHL blueliner for us.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I think both Weircioch and Gryba will get the chance to have regular spots, but I still feel it's in our best interest to acquire another D for the short term. With the loss of Gonchar and Lundin, those are two bodies that need to be replaced either from within or elsewhere. Add in the potential loss of Benoit, and that's three guys who played this year who we don't have the luxury of using if there are injuries etc.

I'd be most comfortable with the following (under the assumption Benoit isn't brought back):

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-FA/Trade
Phillips-Weircioch
Gryba

If Benoit is back in the fold, I think that eliminates the need for a "top 4" signing, as you can move Weircioch up and slide Gryba in, but I'd still like to see us bring in a depth guy.

I think Boro is still a "project" and might need another year under Luke to work on his game. I'm sure he'll get a ton of ice in Bingo.

Ceci might be ready for 2014-15, and if that were the case he slides in nicely for Phillips. By then both Gryba, Weircioch and Cowen have a few seasons of experience so you can comfortably bring in another young guy.

Long term, if Gryba and Weircioch keep improving, I'm very comfortable with:

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Weircioch
Gryba-Ceci
Boro

I'm also hoping we get a pleasant surprise and Wikstrand turns out to be a serviceable NHL blueliner for us.

100% with you.

WhiteLight*

Everybody in the thread is wrong. lol
sorry

The fact of the matter is, Gryba was not good with anyone except Methot last year. When paired with Phillips or Cowen, that pair was always the weak link. Despite being the 3rd pair (this is when Karlsson came back and stole Methot from Gryba) and facing easy matchups, they would always give up the most scoring chances.

This because of a lack of skill. It's like pairing Luke Richardson with Mike Commodore or Jason Smith. It doesn't work. They could not move the move and get it out of their own zone.

Methot is a decent puck mover so it worked with Gryba. And together they were a decent shutdown pair. Keep them together.

The only other option for Gryba is Wiercioch, but I feel PW is the best candidate to move to RD.

So now how do we match Cowen/Phillips and Karlsson/Wiercioch? Well the answer is obvious because of Cowen's past chemistry with Karlsson and I'd rather he play top minutes than Phillips.

Phillips and Wiercioch play on the 3rd pair. Another option is to play Phillips RD and Wiercioch LD, but again Phillips needs a puck mover like Wiercioch and not a guy like Cowen.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch

:crossfingers: that Cowen is ready for prime time.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-?
Phillips-Wiercioch
Gryba

is how i see it. If the plan is to fill that hole with wiercioch and put gryba next to phillips, well, i'm not very happy with that plan.

WhiteLight*

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch

gives you everything and is the most balanced. Each pair has a young guy and a vet. Each pair has a defensive D and a puck mover. It gives you a well defined 1st, 2nd and 3rd pair. Both the 1st and 2nd pairs can play against scoring lines. You get the best of everything.

The only issue is Wiercioch playing his off-side. That's it. He can learn.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I expect a major regression in our team if we don't pick up someone who can log Gonchar's minutes. Wiercioch cannot handle 20mins a night.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-?
Phillips-Wiercioch
Gryba

is how i see it. If the plan is to fill that hole with wiercioch and put gryba next to phillips, well, i'm not very happy with that plan.
^^^

This is how I hope to come into the season with. We're not going anywhere with the other mentioned top 4s.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
^^^

This is how I hope to come into the season with. We're not going anywhere with the other mentioned top 4s.

agreed. ceci may eventually fill that spot. in the meantime, need a solid reliable quality dman there. cowen is still a little slow at reacting sometimes(not related to injuries) and can get caught chasing.

or, you just let the kids play and learn. i think we're past that point though

WhiteLight*

^^^

oh BS.

Look at this season. Gryba AND Wiercioch were in the top 4 at some point.

If it looks like the team could use some D help, throw a 2nd rounder at a team for a 2nd pair guy at the deadline. No big deal

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
oh BS.

Look at this season. Gryba AND Wiercioch were in the top 4 at some point.

If it looks like the team could use some D help, throw a 2nd rounder at a team for a 2nd pair guy at the deadline. No big deal
No. Oh BS to you.

This team goes nowhere with Karlsson, Cowen, Phillips, Methot, Gryba, and Wiercioch as their 6 D.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No. Oh BS to you.

This team goes nowhere with Karlsson, Cowen, Phillips, Methot, Gryba, and Wiercioch as their 6 D.

I don't think you're giving the team enough credit for this year. This team went pretty far without Karlsson and Cowen in that group of 6. Adding them in is only going to make our D better. I for one would have preferred to play with Cowen and Karlsson over Gonchar and Benoit/Lundin.

Then add in a year of development for most of the young guys, some rest for tired players like Silfverberg and Zibanejad, and having Spezza and Michalek healthy (ideally) and there's no reason this team can't go far.

I would like to say that I agree with MAK about the pairings when I think about it more. Gryba was already logging 20 minutes a game and not doing a horrible job, while Methot was awesome and can easily help Gryba along.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch

Would be pretty solid.

WhiteLight*

I don't think you're giving the team enough credit for this year. This team went pretty far without Karlsson and Cowen in that group of 6. Adding them in is only going to make our D better. I for one would have preferred to play with Cowen and Karlsson over Gonchar and Benoit/Lundin.

this

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ference is going to be a free agent.... A bit old.... Small... Dirty... But is good

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
We need someone that can either be a one year stop gap until Ceci is ready or trade for a young defenseman already under contract for multiple years.

There isn't really much on the free agent front but a few options I wouldn't mind pursuing include White, Rozsival, and Summers if a trade cannot be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad