Our defense

How many legit top 4 dmen are currently on the roster?

• 5…lol no. Let’s not get ridiculous

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since we had the goaltending discussion, I think it’s only fair to pivot to the defense. Especially because a solid portion of us believes that this is where the problem really lies.

So let’s put our current roster players (No Edvinsson. We all know he should be here, but he ain’t) into the slots they should fill ideally in your opinion on a playoff team.

I think we are 1 top pair and 1 2nd pair player short. 4 of our dmen should be deployed on a 3rd pair and one should be watching:

X - Seider
Walman - X
Ghost - Chiarot / Maata - Holl

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Seider is obviously a top pair guy, I think Walman is a good number 3 and Ghost is a second pairing guy. Both can play well with Seider it seems which is nice.

Problem I have with the defense is Mo usually gets 23 ish mins, Walman is probably at 19 mins, and the rest are pretty close in TOI. So that means Ghost, Petry, Holl, Maatta, and Chiarot(who I think has been fine for the most part). Are playing roughly the same amount. I'm pulling numbers from my ass so Maatta and Holl might have way less but surely doesn't feel like it.

So it feels like anything that comes out after Walman-Seider is a third pairing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Overall I'd say that Walman and Chiarot have played like second pairing guys this season. Ghost has been a #2/#3 tweener most of the time. Seider has been good enough to stay on the top pair, with the typical learning curve ups and downs.

But Detroit cannot seem to get any consistency out of Maatta / Petry / Holl. If any of those 3 were even a steady #5, it would be a noticeable improvement - they each seem to alternate between "reasonable plug" and "brain fart factory".

Until now I've been on the side of preaching patience with bringing up Edvinsson. But I don't know how that can continue with this level of mess.

EDIT - Ideally I'd want a better partner for Seider, Edvinsson with Ghost on the second pair, Walman and Chiarot as third pair, and the rest to hit the trebuchet. But at minimum they REALLY need to add a top 4 defensive defenseman.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Seider for sure. The rest depends on which team you’re comparing it too.

Edvinsson would be the second.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
(Last night aside) Seider is a high end defenseman I’ll continue to say should get 25 minutes + a night.

(Last night aside) Walman has generally played well for the last year or so and looks like a guy I’m very comfortable playing in the top 4 for the foreseeable future.

Ghost is a good player but a flawed one, and I understand sheltering or limiting his minutes.

The rest of the defense could get waived tomorrow and I wouldn’t give a f***.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If the Wings could land a LD that could really pair with Seider and knock down Walman, I would not be opposed.

Run something like:

Seider-XXX
Ghost-Ed
Chiarot/Holl-Walman

Reactions: lgrws91
If the Wings could land a LD that could really pair with Seider and knock down Walman, I would not be opposed.

Run something like:

Seider-XXX
Ghost-Ed
Chiarot/Holl-Walman

Agree with the trade idea, but I think you’re asking for trouble pairing a rookie with Ghost. I’d like a steady stay at home dman and stabilizer for Edvinsson. One who doesn’t roam so much and is better in his own zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: lgrws91

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Let's be honest, very few teams have more than 2 legit top 4D. Teams with 3 are generally considered among the strongest defensive units in the game. Not sure any team has 4.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
What about defensive forwards since we're talking about defense here? I feel that's part of our problem. Not enough good 2 way defensive forwards on this team imo.

Reactions: jkutswings

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Let's be honest, very few teams have more than 2 legit top 4D. Teams with 3 are generally considered among the strongest defensive units in the game. Not sure any team has 4.
How are you defining "top 4D"?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3