Proposal: Our defence is awful. Who can Tallon target?

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Kuba
Guds
Jovo
Weaver

These guys are far too slow for the NHL. Jovo I don't think can move laterally - when he gets back we're in for real trouble, assuming he replaces strachan.

What can Tallon do to speed things up back there? We look so good when Campbell is working the puck, then he goes off and the other pylons come out and the team falls apart.

Kulikov has got the speed but makes so many bone headed mistakes. Its maddening. At least he should learn with time.

Erick*

Strachan's been pretty bad since the Ellerby trade. He's falling more than Bryan Allen out there.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
tallon's already made his bed. the signings of jovo, weaver and strachan were not all necessary. at 24, we could've counted on ellerby to at least be a bottom pairing guy. to lose that much value in a pick so that you can hold on to several bottom tier/marginal nhl defensemen was not smart.

that said - and granted that this team is poor defensively - it's not all on the D's shoulders. we just aren't playing good defense and defense is a team effort. nobody seems to really care out there.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would be a seller if I'm Tallon. It's still really early but it's obvious watching this team we aren't going to be playoff material. I would love a top 5 prospect to push our prospect poll over the top. We finished 15th in 2011 and went on to make the playoffs the next year.

Jan 19, 2006
I would be a seller if I'm Tallon. It's still really early but it's obvious watching this team we aren't going to be playoff material. I would love a top 5 prospect to push our prospect poll over the top. We finished 15th in 2011 and went on to make the playoffs the next year.

Agreed.

No point in making sacrifices to save a lost season.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Hard to blame Jovo on this when he hasn't played in 2 weeks.

agreed but I think we can agree he's been pretty bad since he was signed..and we got two more years of him :scared:

I think I agree with you..if that is the case then as much as it hurts I think we have to ship out Weiss. With the defence in the state that it is I don't see this team being a contender for a few years.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
agreed but I think we can agree he's been pretty bad since he was signed..and we got two more years of him :scared:

I think I agree with you..if that is the case then as much as it hurts I think we have to ship out Weiss. With the defence in the state that it is I don't see this team being a contender for a few years.

I hear you. I think the defense should be rebuilt through FA and trades rather than the draft with how long it usually takes for defencemen to find their game at the NHL level. They have to time this rebuild right or they will always be dealing with an imbalance.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Komiserak. He's a descent 4th D, some good size and has one more year his contract. Very good in interviews ;)

He could be had for a late late late draft pick.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Kulikov's decision making is driving me crazy...trade him for a young forward.

Kulikov seems to have lost his confidence. There was a play today where the puck was heading out of the offensive zone and there was no one close to it except Kuli. Instead of jumping up and keeping it in he started skating backwards and let a Tampa player jump on it and skate out of his zone. When he skates into the zone he looks like he just wants the puck off his stick ASAP. He needs to start hitting the net but I really think he needs to get a goal to help his confidence. Wish we had a way to give him a night off. He has all the tools he just needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing better.

Jan 19, 2006
tallon's already made his bed. the signings of jovo, weaver and strachan were not all necessary. at 24, we could've counted on ellerby to at least be a bottom pairing guy. to lose that much value in a pick so that you can hold on to several bottom tier/marginal nhl defensemen was not smart.

that said - and granted that this team is poor defensively - it's not all on the D's shoulders. we just aren't playing good defense and defense is a team effort. nobody seems to really care out there.

FWIW I don't like the Ellerby trade either, but I have a suspicion that he wanted out.

Based on the short hook he's had with 2 coaches it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted a change of scenery.

Cosmonaut

Mar 7, 2010
Florida
FWIW I don't like the Ellerby trade either, but I have a suspicion that he wanted out.

Based on the short hook he's had with 2 coaches it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted a change of scenery.

I hope that's the case, because otherwise it seems like poor asset management.

With our luck, Tallon will probably target Tallinder.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Kulikov seems to have lost his confidence. There was a play today where the puck was heading out of the offensive zone and there was no one close to it except Kuli. Instead of jumping up and keeping it in he started skating backwards and let a Tampa player jump on it and skate out of his zone. When he skates into the zone he looks like he just wants the puck off his stick ASAP. He needs to start hitting the net but I really think he needs to get a goal to help his confidence. Wish we had a way to give him a night off. He has all the tools he just needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing better.

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

This was shortly after we went up 5-3. I believe we were on the PP - this is what led to us getting a penalty in our end that negated the PP - kulikov backed off, then STILL could've got to the puck but continued to back out of the offensive zone, and (purcell?) brought it up into our zone and drew a penalty. I rewound this on the PVR and watched it 3-4 times to try to figure out why kulikov did it and still shaking my head.

I usually give the young guys a lot of lee-way, esp def, but we reallllly need him to pull it together if this team is going to win games.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

I hope that's the case, because otherwise it seems like poor asset management.

With our luck, Tallon will probably target Tallinder.

it's poor asset either way. he should've been given a real chance. it's garbage. the more i think about it, the more it ****** me off. ellerby was a good kid, a real team player, tweeting in support of his teammates last year even when he was platooning. on top of that, he was better than 2/3rds of the other D still here, even with the inconsistent ice time and lack of confidence. why is strachan here over ellerby?

LA sticks him with doughty and he goes out and gets a point in his first game. the kid needed someone to show some confidence in him and neither dineen or tallon did.

same old song. it's depressing but i'm happy for ellerby. seems like a good kid mired in a bad situation here.

Jan 19, 2006
it's poor asset either way. he should've been given a real chance. it's garbage. the more i think about it, the more it ****** me off. ellerby was a good kid, a real team player, tweeting in support of his teammates last year even when he was platooning. on top of that, he was better than 2/3rds of the other D still here, even with the inconsistent ice time and lack of confidence. why is strachan here over ellerby?

LA sticks him with doughty and he goes out and gets a point in his first game. the kid needed someone to show some confidence in him and neither dineen or tallon did.

same old song. it's depressing but i'm happy for ellerby. seems like a good kid mired in a bad situation here.

You can't play it both ways 0.G.

PDB had little confidence in him as well.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Kuba is the only defenseman I really don't want to see back next year. He's done more than enough early on to want him out of here. I guess I can say that I really don't want Jovo back either and hope he retires while still on a semi-good note. He's at the point where injuries are going to take a toll and age is not helping his play. His contract would just end up killing us as he keeps playing.

Kulikov is not having a terrific season, especially with his decision making. However, the guy has too much skill to give up with. I think his knowledge will come with experience, but I agree that it's probably a mental issue with him.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I don't think Kuli has been as bad as a lot are saying. Don't get me wrong, he's made some big mistakes and his shooting is still below average (probably part of the reason he's a defenseman). But overall I think he's been good. He logs heavy minutes and I believe he's even one of the few that still has a positive plus/minus.

-ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't think Kuli has been as bad as a lot are saying. Don't get me wrong, he's made some big mistakes and his shooting is still below average (probably part of the reason he's a defenseman). But overall I think he's been good. He logs heavy minutes and I believe he's even one of the few that still has a positive plus/minus.

-ghoste

I agree Ghoste. His shot is terrible, there's no getting around that. But hey, it can only improve, right? lol I also don't agree on Gudbranson. To me it looks like he improved his skating a lot over the summer. He's definitely the 3rd best skater on this blueline. That's not saying much lol, but he's definitely not slow. I like how he's played for just coming back.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
I agree Ghoste. His shot is terrible, there's no getting around that. But hey, it can only improve, right? lol I also don't agree on Gudbranson. To me it looks like he improved his skating a lot over the summer. He's definitely the 3rd best skater on this blueline. That's not saying much lol, but he's definitely not slow. I like how he's played for just coming back.

Kuli is one of the few players on the entire team that is showing some balls. Hes constantly running around, trying to make things happen. He doesnt die wondering and I like that about him. Some things will work, some wont, but thats the deal with him. I have enjoyed his play thus far.

Id even go a step further on Guds and say he is the 2nd best skater on the Defense. Im not sure others will agree but I dont see Campbell as a "smooth skating denensemen" anymore. He's decently agile and quick but he is by no means fast and is routinely beaten for speed playing D. His action is short and choppy and doesnt generate much power. Hes a great distributor but he does that with his passing, not skating. I have no qualms with Guds' skating, good both directions and with his long and quick legs is very fast.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Kuba
Guds
Jovo
Weaver

These guys are far too slow for the NHL. Jovo I don't think can move laterally - when he gets back we're in for real trouble, assuming he replaces strachan.

What can Tallon do to speed things up back there? We look so good when Campbell is working the puck, then he goes off and the other pylons come out and the team falls apart.

Kulikov has got the speed but makes so many bone headed mistakes. Its maddening. At least he should learn with time.
I think Gudbranson skates fine for someone 6'5"-220. Actually I think he skates really well. I didn't see that as a problem with him. The only one I see where skating causes problems is Kuba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad