Our Biggest weakness

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Defense. Subban is a #1, Markov is #2, an aging #2 but still a #2. And then, the rest are #5, #6, #7. We do not have a 2nd pairing on this team. And that's a big problem. But then, we might not have a 2nd line either....

Honestly, the ways he's progressing, I think Beaulieu's a #4 by the end of the year.

The problem is coaching. There's a mismatch between the team's playing style and the make-up of the roster. Overemphasizing the stretch pass (killed Bylsma in Pittsburgh), sloppy puck movement and dumping in the puck to much. All that would not be as much of a problem if you have a roster like Boston's but Montreal is built on speed. So that equals bottom 3rd possession numbers. This team wins, but rarely does it ever feel convincing. That's fine if your playing legitimately elite teams, but when you rely on clutch goaltending and bounces to beat teams like Carolina, you should return to the drawing board. Habs are a paper tiger, and unless things change, they're going to fold soon.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
1. Secondary scoring.

Aside from Pacioretty, we don't have a true sniper. We need to address this going forward. Scoring goals when we need. We do have depth Plekanec, Eller, Sekec, Gallagher but they aren't snipers on the wing.

2. Defense

Needs a bit of work judging from Pitsburgh's game, too many turnovers, Crosby had a breakaway in OT etc., Subban is a #1 dman, Markov at this point of his career is a #4. Gonchar is no longer a fast player and is really slow. #5-6 defense at this point. Beaulieu is young but not a #2 or #3 yet. Emelin is not a puck moving dman and shouldn't play more minutes, he's a #5 and Gilbert is a #7 along with Weaver.
We lack #2 and #3 defensemen who can eat up some minutes. Keith Yandle and Andrej Sekera will be available at the deadline.
I can't take you seriously after you said that. Markov is still great. Otherwise, good post.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The team need to stop using their well known game plan called "omg I hope Carey Price will stop this one!!!"

Montreality

Jul 11, 2012
Montreal
No excuses! Doubt is our only weakness. This team is just as good as a lot of teams that have won the cup. If they get to the playoffs and work hard like they've done 3 games out of 4 all year i don't see why they cant win a cup. Pick up Jagr and its a lock ! haha

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
our secondary scoring really isnt an issue (which means our bottom 6), our primary scoring is.

our defense is also a pretty big issue aswell

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Here's my quick fix.

To MTL: Jagr
To NJ: 3rd round pick (from MTL)

To CAR: Emelin
To MTL: Sekera and 3rd.

To TOR: 3rd (From CAR)
To MTL: Franson

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Sekec-Plekanec-Jagr
Desharnais-Eller-Parenteau
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Andrigetto

Markov-Subban
Sekera-Franson
Beaulieu-Gonchar
Gilbert/Weaver

Price
Tokarski

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I don't get the Jagr love.

He is 42 and would automatically become the teams slowest player.

I think that boat sailed when the Habs didn't sign him in the offseason. You know, when they could have had him without exchanging any assets.

Jagr is absolutely not happening.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Our biggest weakness is that we are, as usual, a team designed got the regular season, not the playoffs. Our D us tissue soft and slow and when teams turn up the heat, we wilt.

Needs more jam

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
Overall, the team is fine. We are doing well, and did well last season. I agree that MT isn't a very good tactical coach, but I think he's good at working with players. Gallant always was the tactics man.

As has been said, our biggest immediate weakness is on right wing. Weise should never be in any top 6, and even Gallagher and PAP ideally shouldn't play on a top line.

After that, I'd say we're set for now, but I worry about who will replace Markov in a few years. Beaulieu has a been very good on a second pairing, but I doubt he'll ever achieve anything near Markov's level.

Last edited:

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
We are a Chris Pronger type of player away from being a contender.

So are the Oilers...

Chris Prongers don't grow on trees. That man was a monster of a player.

I think most people can see where our holes are. We need a Top-6 forward, and a #2-3 D.

Ryan O'Riley or Jordan Eberle would help a ton, as would Yandle.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So are the Oilers...

Chris Prongers don't grow on trees. That man was a monster of a player.

I think most people can see where our holes are. We need a Top-6 forward, and a #2-3 D.

Ryan O'Riley or Jordan Eberle would help a ton, as would Yandle.

We definitely need a scoring forward and that should be a top priority and it might be the very reason that Bealieau is up here from Hamilton. He's being showcased as trade bait. I personally would not trade him, it would be Emelin for me but maybe the demand is just not as great for a guy like Emelin when you have a potential number 2 D man in Bealieau.

PKsubBANG

Jul 17, 2014
2 main areas of concern

1- The PP :
Someone like Jagr (via trade, say for DD ?) would be able to carry and control the puck in the O-Zone, instead of dumping on the PP (FFS!).

Allows you to spread a better lineup

Pac - Galch - Gallagher
Sekac -Plek -Jagr (Czech line !!!!!)
PAP -Eller -Weise/ Prust
Bournival - Malhotra - Prust/ Weise

2- A younger than Markov, hard-hitting, Left-handed partner for Subban.

?! - Subban
Beaulieu -Gonchar
Emelin- Gilbert
Weaver.

Beaulieu is playing well at #3 and should stay there (it's his ceiling IMO) so it would have to be Markov that gets traded for said D-man. He probably is the only one that has enough value to get the conversation started with a GM in dealing a d-man of that sort.

But unfortunately, teams don't trade these kinds of player. For a reason...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
holy **** can we pls give up on the Jagr fantasy? MB could have signed him as a free agent 2 years ago (after Jagr expressed his interest in joining the team) but he didnt....

he definitely isnt gonna give up assets for him 2 years later, its called common sense guys.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Honestly, the ways he's progressing, I think Beaulieu's a #4 by the end of the year.

The problem is coaching. There's a mismatch between the team's playing style and the make-up of the roster. Overemphasizing the stretch pass (killed Bylsma in Pittsburgh), sloppy puck movement and dumping in the puck to much. All that would not be as much of a problem if you have a roster like Boston's but Montreal is built on speed. So that equals bottom 3rd possession numbers. This team wins, but rarely does it ever feel convincing. That's fine if your playing legitimately elite teams, but when you rely on clutch goaltending and bounces to beat teams like Carolina, you should return to the drawing board. Habs are a paper tiger, and unless things change, they're going to fold soon.

Gonchar he's doing a much better job than I thought he would. But Therrien or not, just look at the names and where those guys are headed. Gonchar, Gilbert, Emelin and Beaulieu. Yep, Beaulieu is HEADED towards a 2nd pairing. He's not there though. Gilbert wasn't good enough for Florida. Emelin is awfully dissapointing and I don't see how it's Therrie related. And Gonchar is 1 or 2 years away from retirement.

Ursus the White

Formerly Hogfather
Mar 27, 2014
Alberta
A different perspective, or repeating something but in a different new way......:)

Biggest weakness is over-reliance on Price. He is our "thermal exhaust port." If he gets proton-torpedoed, that is the whole enchilada with guacamole on the side.

Habs have speed, but keep jamming the transmission.

Habs have MT, but that is one onboard computer that needs a brand new chip

Still cannot believe how small this team is. Or how small it has been for quite some time.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We need skills and size at both end of the ice. Coaches are fine. Relying on Price is fine, he can handle it.

Lets be positive :)

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...just to reiterate:

url

/thread.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
A different perspective, or repeating something but in a different new way......:)

Biggest weakness is over-reliance on Price. He is our "thermal exhaust port." If he gets proton-torpedoed, that is the whole enchilada with guacamole on the side.

Habs have speed, but keep jamming the transmission.

Habs have MT, but that is one onboard computer that needs a brand new chip

Still cannot believe how small this team is. Or how small it has been for quite some time.

Just wait we are gonna keep getting smaller and softer then it will come to a head, lots of posters will be shocked, shocked I tell you, and then a week later the same people will be decrying the "talentless goon" unlucky enough to cut the slack.

Book it.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Habs biggest weakness is that the habs don't have Jagr...:sarcasm:

Seriously guys, this isn't 'The' year. The team is two major holes away from contending vs the West. And young guys like Galchenyuk, Eller and Sekac all need to find another gear or two which takes seasoning and time.

They need to bring in a top notch winger, preferably RW like Eberle. And two second pairing dmen.

If Beaulieu isn't used in package for the top line winger and finds his next gear he can be a 2nd pairing guy.

I'm trying to think like Bergevin, and I think he looks to the offseason to add the long term extra pieces. When other GMs are more flexible to make moves.

That or the amount of teams fighting for playoff spots thin out between now and the deadline thus creating more sellers. And whether or not Jagr > Vanek doesn't mean Jagr makes the Habs better.

You have to wonder if a guy like Iginla could be made available. Another season (or is it two) left though. I'd consider a guy like Doan if the price-tag isn't extreme, if he were even available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad