Proposal: Ottawa - Vancouver: trade of fan favourite players

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ottawa needs to shed dollars. It's no secret.

Vancouver has all the dollars right now.

Bobby Ryan
Alex Burrows
2nd in 2020

for

Loui Eriksson

Burrows has 1 year left. Gets to retire where he's appreciated.
2nd round pick pays for the additional salary that Vancouver is taking on.

I shall go hide now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Probably would need more than the second rounder in 2020 but I don’t mind the idea of adding salary

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Hmmm... let's see. Ryan and Eriksson are both signed till 2021, but Ryan's cap hit is $1.25 million higher per year and Ryan is owed $10 million more in salary than Eriksson is over that time. Ryan scored at 0.53PPG over 63 games compared to Eriksson's 0.46PPG over 50 games. Then we also take on 1 year of Burrows $2.5m contract. Realistically the players in this trade are replacement level at this point in time. The only plus, really, is that Ryan's contract isn't entirely buyout proof.

So breaking it down - the trade is:
Ottawa:
$1.25m for 4 years cap relief
$2.5m for 1 year cap relief
$10m over 4 years salary relief
$2.5m over 1 year salary relief

Canucks:
2nd round pick in 2020.

I think Canucks pass.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a nice try, but anything involving Ryan for Eriksson is basically a non-starter....But the idea of Canucks taking on salary to make a hockey deal happen isn't out of the question. Sens probably desperately hoping to unload Ryan's salary going forward, but it's going to cost them dearly.....Also assuming that Ottawa will need to clear out of some cap space to re-sign Karlsson, so who knows.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Burrows back to Van is definitely intriguing for this Sens fan, although I wouldn't move a 2nd to get rid of the last year of his deal.

I know Ryan being involved is a complete non-starter, but would the Canucks take on a smaller cap dump (Gaborik)? What would that cost the Sens?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It's a nice try, but anything involving Ryan for Eriksson is basically a non-starter....But the idea of Canucks taking on salary to make a hockey deal happen isn't out of the question. Sens probably desperately hoping to unload Ryan's salary going forward, but it's going to cost them dearly.....Also assuming that Ottawa will need to clear out of some cap space to re-sign Karlsson, so who knows.

Unload? Yes.

Saving 1.25m per year to get a worse, older player is not unloading, though. Ryan has massive negative value, but that is largely negated by taking on a worse, older, slightly cheaper player. For some reason, I pretty much never see Canucks fans acknowledge this fact when these proposals come up.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
What if Burrows is taken out?

Ryan for Eriksson so the Sens can save cash/salary over the next four years.

What sweetener would Vancouver need to take on the extra salary over the next four years?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We don’t give a ****, if there is an Eriksson Ryan swap, Canucks won’t do it unless we get Chabot or a 1st.

Especially since we have to take the Burrows contract too.

Good for you. Ottawa isn’t trading their first or Chabot just to get rid of Ryan. Especially if we have to take Eriksson.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks shouldn’t take on Bobby Ryan’s contract unless a 2018 first is coming back our way. If this is unacceptable, then the Canucks should take a hard pass on any Ryan-related offers from the Sens.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Anybody that thinks the Canucks can take on bad contracts does not understand their roster. They do not have cap space once you calculate in all the spending they need to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad