Jan 23, 2011
OTT trades 4th overall 2018 to
NYI for 11th and 12th overall 2018

OTT trades 22nd 2018 to
MTL for 35th and 38th 2018.

or

OTT trades 22nd 2018 to
DET for 33rd and 36th 2018.

So 4th and 22nd becomes 11th, 12th, 35th and 38th or if Det really likes someone at 22, Sens get 33rd and 36th. Good value? Obviously it depends who's left on board but I'm just spit ballin' some ideas. Not saying OTT, MTL, DET or NYI should/would do this either.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think if Ottawa can pull it off, it would be a smart move.
Fans won't like the 4th pick being dealt, though.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I can see 22 getting you 35 and 38, though scouts tend to agree that there's a lot of similar talent in that area so even then you are basically throwing an extra pick away unless there is a player you absolutely must have.

And unless 4 gets you a top end talent, and that is certainly debatable with this draft, then not many teams will trade 11 and 12 for just 4, there probably has to be a 2nd rounder included with 4.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Makes sense for a rebuilding team, but trading away a sure fire good player at four for possibly magic beans might be a bad move. But 22nd for the second round picks makes sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Sens trade down to lets say a 10th or later pick, can they give that pick to the Avs instead of next years 1st? If so, it's an interesting develpment to watch out for. Sens get an additional asset by trading down and they give the 2018 1st (10+ pick) to the Avs instead of the 2019 1st.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd pass from a Habs POV. 22nd is really good pick, but the chances that the 22nd OA pick makes it and the 35th OA pick or 38th OA pick makes it is not that different. Rather get more kicks at the can.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If the Sens trade down to lets say a 10th or later pick, can they give that pick to the Avs instead of next years 1st? If so, it's an interesting develpment to watch out for. Sens get an additional asset by trading down and they give the 2018 1st (10+ pick) to the Avs instead of the 2019 1st.
No...it has to be their pick. After all, if not, they could just say they want to trade the 1st they got from Pittsburgh.

Of course, if they did trade down for say #11/12....they could talk to the Avs and see if the Avs WANT one of those picks instead of the 1st next year from Ottawa. But that would be the Avs choice....#11 this year vs unknown for next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No...it has to be their pick. After all, if not, they could just say they want to trade the 1st they got from Pittsburgh.

Of course, if they did trade down for say #11/12....they could talk to the Avs and see if the Avs WANT one of those picks instead of the 1st next year from Ottawa. But that would be the Avs choice....#11 this year vs unknown for next year.

Figured so. In this case I don't see them trading their 1st.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Makes sense for a rebuilding team, but trading away a sure fire good player at four for possibly magic beans might be a bad move. But 22nd for the second round picks makes sense.

That's just it, I'm not confident in getting a sure fire good player at 4 with Sens management at the helm so I rather get more swings at bat. If we can agree that Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina will (or really should) go 1-2-3 then the Sens will possibly take Tkachuk at 4th which scares me, since I'm not sold on his high end potential.

I could easily see why Habs would rather keep their 2nds.. I'm jealous of their picks this year.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Honestly, we're going to suck ass again next year anyway. I'd be more inclined to just toss the 4th to Colorado this year, keep the 22nd, and take another shot at the ping pong balls again next year.

And what kind of message does that send to Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, the team and fanbase? It's as much of a PR move as it is a tactical one.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can see 22 getting you 35 and 38, though scouts tend to agree that there's a lot of similar talent in that area so even then you are basically throwing an extra pick away unless there is a player you absolutely must have.

And unless 4 gets you a top end talent, and that is certainly debatable with this draft, then not many teams will trade 11 and 12 for just 4, there probably has to be a 2nd rounder included with 4.
Nah. Isles already have two 2nds. A third does not move the needle.

In a draft that has been so heavily touted for it's blueline depth and talent, we now have pundits saying as many as 5 forwards may go 2-10. It is not that the blueline prospects have had disappointing seasons,but moreso that the forwards have been so impressive and pushed their way into the conversation.

NYI need blueliners and centers.We will sit tight at 11 +12

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
You WILDLY overrate the players projected to be on the board at #4.

Isles politely refuse,then laugh their a**** off.

What part of "Obviously it depends who's left on board but I'm just spit ballin' some ideas. Not saying OTT, MTL, DET or NYI should/would do this either." didn't you get?

And I'm aware that the drop from 4-10 isn't that big, hence why as a Sens fan I'd be willing to do it. But since the Islanders are losing JT, I think they would need multiple picks to surround Barzal going forward.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If lets say Velano is free falling and still at the board at 22, I bet Habs does it, if Sens dont want him for some reason.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
High firsts are a nice consolidation for a crap season. I think they’d have trouble explaining trading 4 without a 1st rounder next year

Reactions: milehigh11

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Honestly, we're going to suck ass again next year anyway. I'd be more inclined to just toss the 4th to Colorado this year, keep the 22nd, and take another shot at the ping pong balls again next year.
Thats funny our team seems to make the playoffs every 2nd year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If you're going to trade Karlsson, punt this year's pick and keep next year's.
Pretty much,is what would likely happen...I have EK resigning along with Stone and Duch early...And Ottawa makes the playoffs next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad