Ottawa to Host 2025 World Junior Championship

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This tournament really becomes unspecial when it's in the same country every year.

(fwiw - I understand the business reason why, don't need a lecture on it, just saying it takes a lot of the "special international tournament" luster to it)

If American fans actually cared about the tournament and didn’t rely on border influxes from Canada you’d see them host more often given their overall infrastructure and population.

Is there a problem with grass roots hockey interest in the US?

Maybe this ”American factor” is something USA hockey should try to address.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If American fans actually cared about the tournament and didn’t rely on border influxes from Canada you’d see them host more often given their overall infrastructure and population.

Is there a problem with grass roots hockey interest in the US?
you did what i said not to do, we understand why, I'm just saying I don't really like that it's become "the Canadian Junior Invitational"

Reactions: Czechboy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
you did what i said not to do, we understand why, I'm just saying I don't really like that it's become "the Canadian Junior Invitational"
It sort of rubs me the wrong way that the world championships are really the european senior invitational too but I still don't let that detract me from enjoying that tournament every year.

It is what it is, just sit back and watch the compelling hockey.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It’s basically on a rotation, (not including Covid bubbles/cancellations)

1 year in Canada
Next year in Europe
Next year in Canada/ northern border state
Repeat

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Screenshot_20230622_193348_Chrome.jpg

4 of the last 5 in Canada.

From 2009 to 2025 ... Ottawa and Edmonton alone will have hosted 5x which is more than any other country.

I get JJs point about the skodas but it's in different countries in Europe... Not the same one. An equivalent would be if the last 10 Skodas were held in Malmo x 2, Stockholm x 4, Helsinki, Gothenburg x 2 and Denmark.

But my gripe is the NHL cities getting it. Give it to non NHL cities in canada. The list is endless! So many amazing hockey communities in Canada that could make this special. Hell... I'm an Oiler fan so it's not like I have something against Edmonton.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
View attachment 720248

From 2009 to 2025 ... Ottawa and Edmonton alone will have hosted 5x which is more than any other country.

I get JJs point about the skodas but it's in different countries in Europe... Not the same one. An equivalent would be if the last 10 Skodas were held in Malmo x 2, Stockholm x 4, Helsinki, Gothenburg x 2 and Denmark.

But my gripe is the NHL cities getting it. Give it to non NHL cities in canada. The list is endless! So many amazing hockey communities in Canada that could make this special. Hell... I'm an Oiler fan so it's not like I have something against Edmonton.
I would say throw away, the 2 Edmonton Covid ones, then evaluate.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
View attachment 720248

Yes it's in different countries but it always has the same feel to us because it's always on the same small continent...................europe. The whistling on refs calls and singing in the stands gives it that oh so familiar European feel no matter if the game is in Stockholm or Riga, we know it's always an away tournament. and we know it's a European tournament, it's not ours!!!! Trust me on this...........I've been watching it since 1977as a Canadian fan.

I mean, we never have a home game, when that's the reality the tournament always feels the same no matter what country in Europe it's being held, it's a European tournament, it's never a Home tournament, I get exactly where fans from Europe are coming from when they complain about the WJC"S being held so much in Canada.

With one difference.......................Europe does get to at least have the WJC every once in awhile, I mean they get it next year in fact.

Honestly, I think Europe makes out far better in the whole deal. But I can live with that, I don't let it affect my enjoyment of either tournament.

I think the whole thing is just another excuse for hockey fans to bitch, and boy do they love to bitch.

Reactions: cg98

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes it's in different countries but it always has the same feel to us because it's always on the same small continent...................europe. The whistling on refs calls and singing in the stands gives it that oh so familiar European feel no matter if the game is in Stockholm or Riga, we know it's always an away tournament. and we know it's a European tournament, it's not ours!!!! Trust me on this...........I've been watching it since 1977as a Canadian fan.

I mean, we never have a home game, when that's the reality the tournament always feels the same no matter what country in Europe it's being held, it's a European tournament, it's never a Home tournament, I get exactly where fans from Europe are coming from when they complain about the WJC"S being held so much in Canada.

With one difference.......................Europe does get to at least have the WJC every once in awhile, I mean they get it next year in fact.

Honestly, I think Europe makes out far better in the whole deal. But I can live with that, I don't let it affect my enjoyment of either tournament.

I think the whole thing is just another excuse for hockey fans to bitch, and boy do they love to bitch.
Though Hockey Canada could organize the senior World Championships with some frequency if they wanted to, but it just isn't nearly as profitable for them.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It’s basically on a rotation, (not including Covid bubbles/cancellations)

1 year in Canada
Next year in Europe
Next year in Canada/ northern border state
Repeat
You can't fault the IIHF and Hockey Canada for putting the games in Canada. Look at the stands in Europe or the U.S.. It's just not the same.

Of course, some will say, "We need to grow the game!"

Okay, fair enough, but 99% of people will take money TODAY over a vague promise of money tomorrow. I would, you would, everyone would.

Same with small Canadian markets. Yes, they are great. Yes, they are often more fun/exciting than games in Toronto, but, at the end of the day, in hockey or in life, always follow the money.

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree that I prefer it in smaller locations. Would like to see Q.C. Saskatoon or Hamilton get a chance at hosting as opposed to Toronto Vancouver Montreal.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Business reasons.

Translation- little interest from public.
Exactly.

I agree that I prefer it in smaller locations. Would like to see Q.C. Saskatoon or Hamilton get a chance at hosting as opposed to Toronto Vancouver Montreal.
We all would but if you were running the IIHF or Hockey Canada and you have the choice between $10M in profits in Hamilton or $20M in Vancouver, what would you choose?

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
It’s a mistake but looking forward to the cheap tickets from resellers online…

Love Ottawa for those big events, you can always count on a last minute cheap tickets.

Will get a family bundle, anybody know historicacly when the tickets go on sale?

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
I remember when Montreal hosted the WJHC quarterfinals between Canada and Czechia in 2017, most of the seats were empty at Bell Centre. It wasn't just the quarters, but the group games as well. It had me wondering if ticket prices were high, or little attention was paid at the tournament given the fact that Montreal is a Habs town, not a junior hockey town. Hockey Canada must have thought that having the games in a storied NHL city like Montreal would be a huge boost for the organization but boy they were wrong. Hockey Canada pretty much dropped the ball on that one.

I would love to see the WJHC in the smaller Canadian cities and junior hockey venues like they had in the past where it has become a success. Sadly, it seems that Hockey Canada cares about the big fat $$$$ when it comes hosting the tournament in the NHL cities instead of junior hockey cities like they had in Halifax/Moncton earlier this year.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I remember when Montreal hosted the WJHC quarterfinals between Canada and Czechia in 2017, most of the seats were empty at Bell Centre. It wasn't just the quarters, but the group games as well. It had me wondering if ticket prices were high, or little attention was paid at the tournament given the fact that Montreal is a Habs town, not a junior hockey town. Hockey Canada must have thought that having the games in a storied NHL city like Montreal would be a huge boost for the organization but boy they were wrong. Hockey Canada pretty much dropped the ball on that one.

I would love to see the WJHC in the smaller Canadian cities and junior hockey venues like they had in the past where it has become a success. Sadly, it seems that Hockey Canada cares about the big fat $$$$ when it comes hosting the tournament in the NHL cities instead of junior hockey cities like they had in Halifax/Moncton earlier this year.
Ridiculous prices are the major sticking point here. World Junior hockey is good, it’s not NHL ticket and concession prices good however. Hosting in these big NHL cities and arenas where the fans primarily care about their NHL team first and foremost and charging them ridiculous prices for junior hockey makes it a little difficult to sellout the whole 17000+ seat barn for most games in the tournament. That’s why it should at least be in a non-NHL city. I wouldn’t see either Quebec City or Hamilton having any problems selling out their big venues with adequate pricing, especially if they hosted with a respectable smaller second venue nearby.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Hosting in these big NHL cities and arenas where the fans primarily care about their NHL team first and foremost and charging them ridiculous prices for junior hockey makes it a little difficult to sellout the whole 17000+ seat barn for most games in the tournament. That’s why it should at least be in a non-NHL city. I wouldn’t see either Quebec City or Hamilton having any problems selling out their big venues with adequate pricing, especially if they hosted with a respectable smaller second venue nearby.

Kind of hurts your argument when the Ottawa market has a much stronger history of supporting junior hockey than either of Quebec City or Hamilton.

Assen na yo!

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Kind of hurts your argument when the Ottawa market has a much stronger history of supporting junior hockey than either of Quebec City or Hamilton.

Assen na yo!
I mean, the Remparts were just selling out the Videotron Centre for their QMJHL championship run and so did Hamilton a few years ago for their OHL championship (that Arena is being renovated and downsized to accommodate more to a junior sized fan base). I’d say they’d have no problem and would be more than thrilled to see the best Canadian juniors we have to offer on the NT make a gold medal run. As long as tickets aren’t the price of a kidney on the black market, they’d have no issue selling out World Junior games.

So no. It doesn’t.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If Ottawa flops, we'll likely see a move back to smaller barns. If Ottawa succeeds, the IIHF / Hockey Canada will see dollar signs and pushing for bigger venues.

I love a small packed arena but Hockey Canada wants / needs $$$$. I'm surprised posters are upset with the decision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad