Ottawa to Host 2025 World Junior Championship

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
f*** off Hockey Canada. Another NHL city gets the World Jrs. Ottawa has hosted it and did a great job, nothing against them but this should stay small and not be these obscene prices and empty stands for the non Canada games.

Saskatoon, Quebec, London, Sarnia, Kelowna...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, there's a new owner of the Senators so the timing is interesting.
It is becoming obvious that they are just going to rotate between Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa till I die.lol

NOT A FAN AT ALL

Nothing against any of those cities but Canada can absolutely support this tourney in a non NHL city and I'd argue it'd be better.

• Haha
Reactions: ORRFForever

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Good for Ottawa. The 09 WJHC there was well supported. In hindsight, it was kind of the peak of the tournament’s popularity.

Hopefully it is back on the prairies in 2027. Either Winnipeg or Saskatchewan.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
It is becoming obvious that they are just going to rotate between Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal and Ottawa till I die.lol

NOT A FAN AT ALL

Nothing against any of those cities but Canada can absolutely support this tourney in a non NHL city and I'd argue it'd be better.

I hear you, but Ottawa is a good junior hockey city as well and supports the 67's well. TD Place, which will host several of the games, is really in poor condition though. Unfortunate that the new event centre at Lansdowne won't be ready in time.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
This feature aired yesterday on TSN.

Take a look back at the last time the nation’s capital hosted the World Junior Championship, which led to one of the all-time great moments in Canadian hockey history.

Jordan Eberle scored a last-second goal to keep Canada alive vs Russia in 2009 World Junior semis. No matter how many times Jordan Eberle has seen, been asked about or signed a picture of his iconic last-second goal in the 2009 World Junior semi-finals, he can't help but grin.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa did a great job in 2009. I loved that the tournament was back in Halifax this year and would like to see it spend some more time in comparable cities, but Ottawa deserves credit for the 2009 tournament and will hopefully be great again.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

NOT A FAN AT ALL

It's all about the money at this point. The same reason why it's hosted in Canada every other year. The days of small town Canada soley hosting the tourney (Medicine Hat in '95) are long gone.

Don't be too shocked if Canada games are only hosted in CFL stadiums in the future.

Reactions: Czechboy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
f*** off Hockey Canada. Another NHL city gets the World Jrs. Ottawa has hosted it and did a great job, nothing against them but this should stay small and not be these obscene prices and empty stands for the non Canada games.

Saskatoon, Quebec, London, Sarnia, Kelowna...
I get your point, but Ottawa did set an attendance record, that includes all games.

Part of that was due to, you had to buy a full or half package, for non elimination games. Last city I think to not be spread over 2 cities.

Reactions: Czechboy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
2009 is often considered the best WJR's - attendance, excitement, quality of play, top to bottom, it was amazing.

Let's hope it can be duplicated in 2025.
I attended, a few games, very exciting,
Remember one game USA vs (don’t remember) but the one goalie made like 70 saves against the US, fans loved it.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I attended, a few games, very exciting,
Remember one game USA vs (don’t remember) but the one goalie made like 70 saves against the US, fans loved it.
Let's just hope those federal civil servants crack open their wallets and fill the place. ;) And, while you're at it, go to a RedBlacks game!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This tournament really becomes unspecial when it's in the same country every year.

(fwiw - I understand the business reason why, don't need a lecture on it, just saying it takes a lot of the "special international tournament" luster to it)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This tournament really becomes unspecial when it's in the same country every year.

(fwiw - I understand the business reason why, don't need a lecture on it, just saying it takes a lot of the "special international tournament" luster to it)
Sweden next year coming right up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad