Proposal: Ottawa - St.Louis

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
As is, that's terrible for the Blues. Bobby Ryan isn't the player St. Louis should be spending 7.25m in cap space on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
How about.. ..

Lehtera+2018 3rd (we dont have a '17)

For

Bobby Ryan Bobble head and you promise to not dress him against us. Hes always due for a goal...

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
The Blues don't need wingers, but RW would be more needed than LW. However, near-Tarasenko money for what would be our 2RW (for a LONG TIME) would be awful. Lehtera has shorter term and actually "fills" a position of need.

Ryan just isn't a good fit with STL.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm one of the biggest Lehtera haters and I wouldn't even touch this. At least Lehtera is gone in 2 years.

ConBonJovi

Mar 29, 2016
Canada
Man, Bobby Ryan is just a less skilled, almost equally expensive Tarasenko...

If you guys want an affordable winger for a run, look at Perreault out of WPG or Vanek. They'll give you Ryan's production (if not more) at a fraction of the cost and with no horrible term....

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Man, Bobby Ryan is just a less skilled, almost equally expensive Tarasenko...

If you guys want an affordable winger for a run, look at Perreault out of WPG or Vanek. They'll give you Ryan's production (if not more) at a fraction of the cost and with no horrible term....

We don't, Blues aren't making a run this year. And we are looking for a center, so trading one of the few centers we actually have for another winger would be beyond dumb

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would rather take 2 more years of 4.7 mil for a slow 3rd line center rather than 5 more years of 7.25 mil for a 2nd line RW.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Is he 2.5M better than Lehtera?

If Ryan only had two more seasons on his contract, would Sens fans even be making this offer? His cap hit is terrible, but it's his term that is going to be an anchor for most, if not all, competing teams.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Good luck with that. I can just see teams lining up around the block for Ryan on that contract...

I agree, but you don't need teams lined up, you just need one or two. And we don't need it this year or next or next really. Or at all when you come right down to it. If managed properly, he won't affect us. It's a waste of a couple of million dollars a year, but Ryan, despite his numerous faults, is actually a lot better than people make him out to be.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm one of the biggest Lehtera haters and I wouldn't even touch this. At least Lehtera is gone in 2 years.

I'm one of the biggest Ryan haters and I wouldn't even touch this.

Totally get why Blues fans don't want to add Ryan when they already have Tarasenko making big money on the RW, but there's no way in hell Bobby Ryan isn't at least worth $2.5 million more than Lehtera.

Leave Bobby exposed in expansion and hope like hell Vegas takes him (lack of scoring options, "big name", ect). If they don't take him, re-evaluate next year.

Senators are trying to win now, downgrading while still taking on a bad deal doesn't help them.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I'm one of the biggest Ryan haters and I wouldn't even touch this.

Totally get why Blues fans don't want to add Ryan when they already have Tarasenko making big money on the RW, but there's no way in hell Bobby Ryan isn't at least worth $2.5 million more than Lehtera.

Leave Bobby exposed in expansion and hope like hell Vegas takes him (lack of scoring options, "big name", ect). If they don't take him, re-evaluate next year.

Senators are trying to win now, downgrading while still taking on a bad deal doesn't help them.

I don't disagree that Ryan is worth $2.5M more than Lehtera. But Lehtera isn't getting paid for the next five years.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Btw what happened to Bobby Ryan's offense? He was a consistent 30 goal scorer until he went to Ottawa, did he have a better set of players around him in Anaheim or has he just regressed that badly?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Btw what happened to Bobby Ryan's offense? He was a consistent 30 goal scorer until he went to Ottawa, did he have a better set of players around him in Anaheim or has he just regressed that badly?

Lots of hand/fingers injuries have really affected his shot (heck, he's out now with a broken finger...again)

He's never been the pure sniper he was in Anaheim, but has actually developed decent playmaking abilities and an okay 2-way game in Ottawa, maybe because he's being asked to do more.

Combination of the above and I doubt we see him get back to 30 goals, but he still hovers around the same PPG as his last couple of seasons in Anaheim.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Injury after injury, but if I was guessing, I'd say he had a hernia that he never could get back to form. Or 80%. There has to be something, he looks like he's skating in mud most of the time. Hopefully more rehab this summer or another procedure can fix it, don't know.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To Ottawa
Jori Lehtera
2017 3rd

To St.Louis
Bobby Ryan

Ottawa doesn't even consider this unless they were back against the wall regarding the cap or the budget, which is NOT the case.

Like I said in another thread, it would be acceptable to lose Ryan to LV because :

- it means that they don't lose anybody else to the expansion draft (Methot, Phaneuf or Dzingel)

- it frees up 37.25 for the next 5 years. With that money, hopefully Ottawa could find another top-6 forward and has some more available money to negotiate new contracts. And with all the young talent coming up (White, Dahlen, Brown, Chlapik, Perron...), the answer might be from within.

Trading Ryan for Lethera is counter-productive.

Lehtera+2018 3rd (we dont have a '17)

For

Bobby Ryan Bobble head and you promise to not dress him against us. Hes always due for a goal...

Yeah his career stats against the Blues are great : 26 Games, 18 Goals, 14 Assists, 32 Points, +7

Good luck with that. I can just see teams lining up around the block for Ryan on that contract...

There is many "bad contracts" in the league. Will it be for shorter term? Lesser salary but similar cap hit? Higher cap hit but better player? More term but better player? A lot of possibilities... For now, Ottawa isn't a rush to move Ryan at all. They should look at exposing him to LV (reasons stated above) or wait and hope for an healthy year next season. 3 stretches he has been healthy in Ottawa :

36 pts (18 goals) +10 in the first 42 games of 2013-14 (70 pts pace)
49 pts (17 goals) +9 in the first 59 games of 2014-15 (68 pts pace)
45 pts (18 goals) -1 in the first 52 games of 2015-16 (71 pts pace)

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Injury after injury, but if I was guessing, I'd say he had a hernia that he never could get back to form. Or 80%. There has to be something, he looks like he's skating in mud most of the time. Hopefully more rehab this summer or another procedure can fix it, don't know.

He doesn't exactly scream "fitness buff". It very well could be injury related, but might just be a case of taking the summers off. Extra disappointing if that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad