Proposal: Ottawa - St.Louis

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm one of the biggest Ryan haters and I wouldn't even touch this.

Totally get why Blues fans don't want to add Ryan when they already have Tarasenko making big money on the RW, but there's no way in hell Bobby Ryan isn't at least worth $2.5 million more than Lehtera.

Leave Bobby exposed in expansion and hope like hell Vegas takes him (lack of scoring options, "big name", ect). If they don't take him, re-evaluate next year.

Senators are trying to win now, downgrading while still taking on a bad deal doesn't help them.

Ryan isn't even on pace for 40 points, he's a better player than Lehtera but $2.5 is a big difference.

If Senators are trying to win now, why would they leave Ryan exposed in expansion?

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Ryan isn't even on pace for 40 points, he's a better player than Lehtera but $2.5 is a big difference.

If Senators are trying to win now, why would they leave Ryan exposed in expansion?

Because losing Methot/Ceci would hurt the team a lot more. Ottawa has more options to replace a top 6 forward than a top 4 d.

Ryan is not having a good year, but based on everything else he's done, we should be considering this year as an outlier, not the new normal, until we see what happens next year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

One thing you have to consider is that Ryan has played injured mot of the season. He even left 2 games very early in the 1st period and another at the beginning of the 3rd. Overall, all this has brought down his average ice-time to 15:18 TOI/GP. If he was just playing 18:00 like many top-6 forwards, he'd be on pace for 46 pts per 82 games, which is just only 11 pts below his usual production pace.

It's not a good season for him by any means, but you have to look deeper to see the big picture.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, the reason why Ryan would be exposed in the expansion draft :

- it means that they don't lose anybody else to the expansion draft (Methot, Phaneuf or Dzingel)

- it frees up 37.25 for the next 5 years. With that money, hopefully Ottawa could find another top-6 forward and has some more available money to negotiate new contracts. And with all the young talent coming up (White, Dahlen, Perron, Chlapik, Brown...), the answer might be from within.

If LV selects Ryan, Ottawa is taking 0$ salary back... Big difference with wasting 9.7 M$ on Lethera

Last edited:

bluemike

Nov 2, 2005
I'm one of the biggest Lehtera haters and I wouldn't even touch this. At least Lehtera is gone in 2 years.

Not so fast. If Armstrong is still there he'll sign Lehtera to a $7.5 mil extension when his current contract is up.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yes - Ryan is worth $2.5M more than Lehtera...but the problem is, Lehtera is worth $2.5M less than Lehtera. If Ryan were a $5M player, and Lehtera a $2.2M/player neither GM would have a problem. I'd imagine Ottawa would have to retain a pretty significant chunk of that remaining contract if they were going to get a decent return via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad