OT: Ottawa shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
This stuff just isn't true. First, it's not 100% backed by any individual book. You're entirely wrong on that.

Second, isn't the fact that the act on Monday was carried out by a recent convert, and many of these acts carried out by 'converts' in direct contradiction with your claim that the problem is that they're convinced from a young age?

I don't understand how you go on this discussion about the Arab world when we're faced with a recent convert earlier this week. This has very little to do with the Arab world.

Am I? I'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about the Q'uran. It's pretty clear about the whole killing apostates thing. The problem with holy books is that they have to be interpreted, which means that everyone picks and chooses what they like from the book and discards what they don't (and they have to because they're so self-contradictory). You can't say they're interpreting it wrong just because you like some moderate muslim's interpretation better.

Same thing with Christians, Protestants will say Catholics aren't true Christians and vice-versa, who's right? Doesn't work like that.

And who converted him? A bunch of dudes who think this life is meaningless and that they owe themselves to an imaginary friend. Again, education is still the answer.

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Any proof it's related to Islamism and ISIS? Because you guys are talking like it was confirmed.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
And that's really the problem with ISIS and how it's grown. It has grown, in large part, because of the media.

Maybe a small part due to the media, but the bigger part is that a few thousand of these guys managed to invade Iraq & Syria, beat the Iraqi army and are running a new country.

Pretty ballsy if you think about it, and makes them look like winners. They need a serious beating which they haven't received yet, to re-adjust that attitude. Maybe then they wouldn't look so cool cuz right now they are just going hog wild with the **** & murder and then just laughing it up on youtube.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Am I? I'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about the Q'uran. It's pretty clear about the whole killing apostates thing.

And who converted him? A bunch of dudes who think this life is meaningless and that they owe themselves to an imaginary friend. Again, education is still the answer.

Sure, I know the Quran. It's not very clear on a number of issues, which is why there are many interpretations that exist.

Second point you're making here contradicts your claim about education from a young age and discussions of the Arab world, and demonstrates that point to be wholly irrelevant to the issue at hand here (not irrelevant to discussions on the Arab world, however).

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Sure, I know the Quran. It's not very clear on a number of issues, which is why there are many interpretations that exist.

Second point you're making here contradicts your claim about education from a young age and discussions of the Arab world, and demonstrates that point to be wholly irrelevant to the issue at hand here (not irrelevant to discussions on the Arab world, however).

Well, I may be wrong on the second point. I expanded a bit on the interpretations thing.

I don't know how somebody can be brainwashed like that :\

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Maybe a small part due to the media, but the bigger part is that a few thousand of these guys managed to invade Iraq & Syria, beat the Iraqi army and are running a new country.

ISIS didn't invade these countries; ISIS existed there already. Lots of foreign fighters joined them and they've grown exponentially because they've been romanticised. Their success now is built on their initial small successes -- which were on the backs of disenfranchised tribes, anyway. It wasn't 'ISIS' so much as a rebellion against Maliki in Iraq, and then it became a branding issue. ISIS was pretty good at the whole social media/attract attention/romanticise it all deal. That's why I link it to media.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
This whole day has been unreal so far. To have an attack in the heart of Canadian democracy is such a surreal scene to watch. It's the second attack of the week on a Canadian solider. My thoughts and prayers go to the families affected.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i just hope that whatever happens, we don't turn into a police state like those clowns down south.

also: **** those ****ing ****ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad