OT: Ottawa shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Just read what happened in Ottawa during my break. First the extremist in Quebec a couple of days ago, now these 3 terrorists storming the area surrounding Parliament Hill, it's incredible that this is occurring in Canada. Positive thoughts to all people in that area. Stay safe guys!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
My brother lives blocks away from there, he's safe, but this is such a frustrating development. Either our civil liberties will be further cut off, or this crap will keep happening. I want neither.

Hope they catch the guys and that everybody's safe.

edit: Apparently Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers killed the Parliament Hill shooter. Thank you Sgt Vickers.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
This is one of the thing I am not at all excited because I predicted it to my friends.

For years, I told them that we are relatively safe of terrorist acts in Canada soil but since the last statement from the mother****er ISIS leader calling for it in Canada, I knew that **** like this will go down.

We won't see complex organised plot but radicalized individuals will listen to that call. It only takes one guy to start the chain.

For the first time, I feel that we will face a very real danger of terrorist attacks.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
Stay safe bud

That ***** crazy, I'm all in to send Canadian troops to kill those ISIS mother****er now

What's scary is that there are homegrown Isis nuts. Also, while that seems to be a likely cause, we don't know for sure yet. But yes, I'm all for dismantling toxic animals

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Stay safe bud

That ***** crazy, I'm all in to send Canadian troops to kill those ISIS mother****er now

That would be one of the main goals of these attacks. I am not against pressuring ISIS with military solutions, but this will enflame anti-islamic sentiments here and across the world and the bigger the gap is the worst this conflict will become.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
This is one of the thing I am not at all excited because I predicted it to my friends.

For years, I told them that we are relatively safe of terrorist acts in Canada soil but since the last statement from the mother****er ISIS leader calling for it in Canada, I knew that **** like this will go down.

We won't see complex organised plot but radicalized individuals will listen to that call. It only takes one guy to start the chain.

For the first time, I feel that we will face a very real danger of terrorist attacks.

I think you're right. Everyone felt Canada was immune, even though multiple terrorist plans were foiled and even some kids from London, Ontario went off and conducted a gas plant bombing in Algeria. Sorry but it's come home to roost folks. Some people would like to think it's cause we're part of the military effort there. They act as if staying out of it (which sends the message to the US that we're isolationist and conveniently feel they can fight battles without us yet we'll still have their protection) would prevent terrorist activity on our soil. HA! How naive. It's been fomenting long before that or even 9/11.

While we in Canada may take the brunt of some American imperialism there's no way of escaping this when you're part of the free world. If we were peacekeeping only, ISIS would still condemn us. You can't hide. Canada is a target, not as big as USA but it is one for extremists. ISIS don't just hate us because we're aligned with countries trying to crush them but because of our way of life. They want everyone in the world to be like them, praying at a mosque 24/7 with our women covered head to toe. If we don't want that we're scum to them. That's their view.

Sadly there's people in this country disenfranchised and crazy enough to heed the call. And those people can be of any background. Recent converts to Islam (the guy in St Jean for example) are often more radicalized than those who've been Muslim their whole life! What happened in Ottawa today is not the first and it's not the last. I just fear it could get worse and someone won't just target politicians or armed personnel. It's scary enough when that happens but when everyday people get targeted is when I'll really get upset. The other annoying part is that we'll hear just as much concern from some Canadians that governments will use this as an excuse to take away more of our civil rights and spy on us, etc.

That the justification for beefing up war measures will be an excuse leading to totalitarianism. While I do believe that is something we always remain vigilant with and guard against, it really bothers me that in tragic attacks like this that's all some people on the internet wanna say. They act holier than thou and like they're so smart because they suspect this is all one big conspiracy. Bravo, egghead! To me, you have to allow our authorities to do SOME stuff to catch terrorists. It can't be business as usual. To make an omelette you must breaks some eggs.

It always bugs me those people who feel terrorism is not a threat to general safety but that some global new world order is. These are the people who believe evil people do not come from abroad but from within. A misguided, self-centred view of things when ISIS guys are calling for jihad and savagely executing men, women and children in the Middle East. That's happening and all you care about is your civil liberties? :shakehead But of course if this is not the work of ISIS you can discard some of what I said but not all. After all yesterday's nut in St. Jean was one of those radicals. Today's shooter(s) probably were emboldened by that response, no matter what their agenda is.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I struggle with the 'terrorist' label here. It does meet all the criteria of terrorism, but the connotation it holds is Islam, or more recently, ISIS, and these 'homegrown terrorists (another problematic label) are more opportunists than they are jihadists.

And that's really the problem with ISIS and how it's grown. It has grown, in large part, because of the media.

Stay safe bud

And that would really just result in more problems, I'd wager.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I struggle with the 'terrorist' label here. It does meet all the criteria of terrorism, but the connotation it holds is Islam, or more recently, ISIS, and these 'homegrown terrorists (another problematic label) are more opportunists than they are jihadists.

And that's really the problem with ISIS and how it's grown. It has grown, in large part, because of the media.

And one could argue that even ISIS is using Islam in order to give itself credibility when, in fact, there's nothing remotely close to what this religion is promoting in their actions. War and conflicts have created mentally unstable and dangerous people over there.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
And one could argue that even ISIS is using Islam in order to give itself credibility when, in fact, there's nothing remotely close to what this religion is promoting in their actions. War and conflicts have created mentally unstable and dangerous people over there.

I don't think that's something 'one could argue' so much as it's a fact.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...as a former member of the Canadian Forces, my heart aches every time I hear of a "brother" fall in the line of duty...my thoughts & prayers go out to the people of Ottawa and the family of the fallen soldier...

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
And that would really just result in more problems, I'd wager.

So we should let them chill and attack the world and our country ?

ISIS is unfortunatley a really well runned organization and found a way to convert the weak minded. The only way to stop them is to destroy the head of the movement and kill as many of them as possible.

This may sound barbaristic and a pro-american way of thinking (no offense to y'all american :sarcasm:) but honestly nothing can stop them at this point. They are all brainwashed and ready to die for their affiliation so I say why not.

By the way, ISIS members ARE NOT MUSLIMS, they are islamist. It sucks because I have muslims in my family and this whole bullcrap may turn against them only because people don't know the facts and are scared ...

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
So we should let them chill and attack the world and our country ?

ISIS is unfortunatley a really well runned organization and found a way to convert the weak minded. The only way to stop them is to destroy the head of the movement and kill as many of them as possible.

This may sound barbaristic and a pro-american way of thinking (no offense to y'all american :sarcasm:) but honestly nothing can stop them at this point. They are all brainwashed and ready to die for their affiliation so I say why not.

By the way, ISIS members ARE NOT MUSLIMS, they are islamist. It sucks because I have muslims in my family and this whole bullcrap may turn against them only because people don't know the facts and are scared ...

I think you may be overestimating the likelihood of any force's ability to kill ISIS. The track record for direct intervention to 'kill the head of terrorist organisations' isn't stellar.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

I wouldn't let the religion off the hook that easily. Everything they're doing is backed up 100% by their holy book.

The problem is that people are 100% convinced from as young as they can get them that there's a magic sky daddy watching over them and judging them. Education is the only permanent cure for this kind of dribble.

"Arabs represent 5% of the world’s population and yet produce only 1% of the world’s books, most of them religious. In fact, Spain translates more books into Spanish each year than the entire Arab world has translated into Arabic since the ninth century." - (from Sam Harris)

****'s scary. People are kept ignorant intentionally.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
My friend saw what happened in Saint-jean-sur-Richelieu. It was right in front of him...

Edit : He told me the guy flew to about 2 meters in the air and that he had a huge hole in his stomach... ****ed up

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I think you may be overestimating the likelihood of any force's ability to kill ISIS. The track record for direct intervention to 'kill the head of terrorist organisations' isn't stellar.

Yeah I know. I'm not saying we will be able to achieve that. I'm just saying we should put effort in it. But you're right, in both case we're doomed thought :help:
If we act there will be retaliation ; if we don't they'll view that as a sign of weakness and continue freely what they are doing.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't let the religion off the hook that easily. Everything they're doing is backed up 100% by their holy book.

The problem is that people are 100% convinced from as young as they can get them that there's a magic sky daddy watching over them and judging them. Education is the only permanent cure for this kind of dribble.

"Arabs represent 5% of the world’s population and yet produce only 1% of the world’s books, most of them religious. In fact, Spain translates more books into Spanish each year than the entire Arab world has translated into Arabic since the ninth century." - (from Sam Harris)

****'s scary. People are kept ignorant intentionally.

This stuff just isn't true. First, it's not 100% backed by any individual book. You're entirely wrong on that.

Second, isn't the fact that the act on Monday was carried out by a recent convert, and many of these acts carried out by 'converts' in direct contradiction with your claim that the problem is that they're convinced from a young age?

I don't understand how you go on this discussion about the Arab world when we're faced with a recent convert earlier this week. This has very little to do with the Arab world.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I know. I'm not saying we will be able to achieve that. I'm just saying we should put effort in it. But you're right, in both case we're doomed thought :help:
If we act there will be retaliation ; if we don't they'll view that as a sign of weakness and continue freely what they are doing.

It seems pretty simple to me, at least this part of things. Direct intervention has not worked and has, in fact, made the issue worse -- for all parties.

Indirect intervention, for short periods after the direct intervention, had some measurable success.

Pretty simple, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad