Ottawa Sens Honest predictor

• Thread starter SensfaninToronto*
  • Start date

SensfaninToronto*

Lets all consider all variables here Who flops, whos surprises and who is what we expect

Also Where do the sens finish ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I dont know who this "Ottawa Sens" team is you are mentioning? Are they in the same league as the "Toronto Leafs" or "Montreal Habs"

Are you really Bob Cole???

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Flops - Da Costa, Uh Oh Joe
Surprises - Pageau (I guess not a real surprise at this point though), Macarthur

Ottawa
Toronto
Boston
Detroit

My standings prediction. That is my honest prediction for the standings. I doubt we make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs though.

SensfaninToronto*

You dont call them the Sens?
Also Surprizes -Pageau and macarthur
flop-MM

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Flops: macarthur, ryan, anderson, spezza, michalek, greening, pageau, turris, neil, karlsson, methot, cowen, da costa, corvo

Surprises: pageua, condra, weircioch, lehner

Standings

Boston
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Tampa
Florida
Buffalo
Ottawa

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Flops: macarthur, ryan, anderson, spezza, michalek, greening, pageau, turris, neil, karlsson, methot, cowen, da costa, corvo

Surprises: pageua, condra, weircioch, lehner

Standings

Boston
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Tampa
Florida
Buffalo
Ottawa

You forgot Smith and Kassian.

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
What is expected: Karlsson, Anderson, Ryan Flops: Michalek, Cowen, Phillips Surprises: Weircioch, MacArthur. Sens finish at top Reasoning: Red Wings are old, Leafs suck, Boston will be tired cause they were good, Montreal is small and Tampa/Florida couldn't make a good team if you combined them.

Last edited:

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
To me, the Sens are a team that could be anywhere.

They do have a team where if everything goes right, they can be legitimate Tier 2 Stanley Cup Contenders. They also have a team where there's a chance injuries can cause them to be a non-playoff team.

I think they're definitely more likely a playoff team than not, but we will see.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
flop-MM

I dont call them the Ottawa Sens .. it sounds unnatural (hence why people hate it when Bob Cole does it). Just like saying the Toronto Leafs..it does not happen. They are called simply 'The Leafs" "The Maple Leafs" or the "Toronto Maple Leafs"

Just a pet peeve

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
flop-MM

Sens? Yes. Ottawa sens? Only if youre bob cole.

Its either the sens or the ottawa senators.

You either wanna shorten your speech and say sens, or you wanna say the full name ottawa senators. Not in between.

Might sound silly to a casual fan, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to a hardcore fan.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Flops:
Spezza- Will get hurt, leaving us without strong leadership for stretches of the year.
Michalek- Manages to stay healthy, but puts up his lowest PPG totals since joining the team.
Da Costa- Waived by December. Claimed by the Flames.
Pageau- Not so much a flop, but won’t live up to the expectations people have placed on him now.
Anderson- Won’t sustain is GAA from last year. Loses the starting job to Lehner.

Surprises
Weircioch- Becomes our most consistent defensemen, puts up 45 pts.
Turris- Explodes offensively, scores 60pts.
Ryan- Despite the struggles of his line mates, he still puts up 35 goals and 70 pts, while becoming a fan favourite.
Lehner- Steals the #1 job by February. Wins the Vezina, Conn Smyth and leads Ottawa to its first Cup

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Sens? Yes. Ottawa sens? Only if youre bob cole.

Its either the sens or the ottawa senators.

You either wanna shorten your speech and say sens, or you wanna say the full name ottawa senators. Not in between.

Might sound silly to a casual fan, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to a hardcore fan.

exactly :D

back on topic I think DaCosta will be a surprise this year

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Conacher, Wiercioch, MacArthur, Pageau, Ryan surprise

Michalek, Greening, Anderson disappoint

I wanted to put Cowen in disappoint but he still made some brilliant plays in pre-season and has some serious rust on him so I'll reserve that prediction.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Conacher & Weir surprise as certified top 6/top 4 players, and good ones at that. Pageau (keeps?) surprising with consistency & maturity.

Stephane Da Costa impresses everyone with his work ethic and passing ability, and nets a whopping 12 points on the season. Anderson comes back to earth to release the Lehner. Michalek skates off into obscurity.

Turris, Ryan, MacArthur and (sadly) Corvo deliver as expected.

3rd place division finish and a gut-wrenching conference finals playoff exit.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Flops: Da Costa, Corvo, and Smith
Surprises: Turris, MacArthur, Conacher and Wiercioch

Da Costa is going to be pressed to sustain the form he's shown in the preseason and is a textbook flop candidate. He won't get the same quality linemates he had either.

Corvo I think goes without saying. I hope he doesn't play a game. He's lacidasical with the puck and his "assets" are no longer significant due to age.

Smith for some reason had been trending downwards the last two seasons.. I had a lot of hope he'd develop into that solid third line roll with some offensive output, but his game lacks focus and he seems to be reducing to a roll player rather than core piece.

Turris is going to break out this year with less pressure on him. He played quite well outside his roll and against tough competition last year. When we had Spezza he was performing at a point per game and he really turned it on in the playoffs.

I think MacArthur and Conacher could breakout alongside Turris. The line was our best during preseason and I'm most excited to see them play some meaningful games. With that being said, they are also candidates to flop. As there are some high hopes coming off a strong preseason.

Wiercioch is ready to permanently fill the role he was early last year after Karlsson went down. He is incredible at moving the puck (especially on the pp). I think he's do for his breakout year.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Michalek struggles to score or stay healthy.

Greening consistently scores and finds his way up to the top 2 lines.

Smith shows flashes of brilliance but overall he is what he is.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Flops -
J.G. Pageau - Over the course of a full season, won't live up to the ridiculous hype people have built around his nineteen games.
Stephane Da Costa - Even though I love Da Costa, he simply won't get the role a player of his type needs. Waived, team like Calgary will pick him up (in dire need of C).
Patrick Wiercioch - Wiercioch will falter in his first full season, and will have a limited role.
Jason Spezza - As usual, Spezza will find a way to get injured and leave the Sens captainless.
Chris Phillips - The fearless blueline vet has lost one too many steps IMO, and is nearing the end of the line...

Surprises -
Mark Stone - Stone will be called up at some point, and will not only fit in but excel with an excellent release and scorer's awareness.
Clarke MacArthur - MacArthur should see some Top 6 ice time, and could find his 2010-11 form when he put up 62 points.
Joe Corvo - The wiley vet seems to be getting a ridiculous amount of hate, when in reality he hasn't suited up for the Sens in 6 years! Give him a chance.

I'll say 4th or 5th for the Sens, just don't think they're deep enough. A key injury or two away from being a non-playoff team.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Michalek (30) - Spezza (25) - Ryan (35) = 90g
MacArthur (20) - Turris (20) - Conacher (20) = 60g
Greening (13) - Pageau (15) - Condra (12) = 40g
Smith (13) - Da Costa/Zbad (10) - Neil (12) = 35g

Karlsson = 15g
Rest = 25g

Minus 25g due to man games lost

~ 240 goals - Top 5-10 in the league depending on scoring year

Continue to let a high amount of shots ~32/g @ a regressed (but still good) save % of .922 = 205g - Top 10 in league.

I think we could have a good year, of course there is potential for better or worse outcomes but as an "average" I feel this is pretty solid indicator.

A +35 goal differential would put us in a fight for 3-8 spot, but likely not get us the division (although possible).

Last edited:

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Flops:
Spezza- Will get hurt, leaving us without strong leadership for stretches of the year.
Michalek- Manages to stay healthy, but puts up his lowest PPG totals since joining the team.
Da Costa- Waived by December. Claimed by the Flames.
Pageau- Not so much a flop, but won’t live up to the expectations people have placed on him now.
Anderson- Won’t sustain is GAA from last year. Loses the starting job to Lehner.

Surprises
Weircioch- Becomes our most consistent defensemen, puts up 45 pts.
Turris- Explodes offensively, scores 60pts.
Ryan- Despite the struggles of his line mates, he still puts up 35 goals and 70 pts, while becoming a fan favourite.
Lehner- Steals the #1 job by February. Wins the Vezina, Conn Smyth and leads Ottawa to its first Cup

Pretty much this. I think the biggest flops will be in the inability to stay healthy SPEZZA and MICHALEK

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Spezza blows his back after two months of play - out indefinitely.
Michalek blows his knee after two - four months of play. Career basically over in Ottawa.
Anderson plays average.
Fire everyone threads appear.
We just squeak into the playoffs, out first or second round.
Some people claim it was a great season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad