News Article: Ottawa Sens head trainer "a freaking idiot" claims Colin Campbell

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
http://www.tsn.ca/judge-orders-unsealing-of-nhl-executive-s-emails-1.426134

Court orders piles of unflattering NHL emails be unsealed. Among them one where Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League Colin Campbell rips Ottawa's head trainer.

"Attached is an email from Ottawa's trainer – who is a trainer rep on the CWG [Concussion Working Group] – expressing the views of his fellow trainers," Grand wrote. "We will tailor our presentation to the Trainers in Vegas to address these issues."

Campbell's entire email reply had been redacted and Bettman had argued that disclosing the May 15, 2013, email would “chill deliberations among members of the CWG about the most effective methods to diagnose, treat and manage concussions, and might deter qualified persons from serving on the CWG.â€

In her ruling, Mayeron disclosed that Townend in his email had presented suggestions from fellow trainers regarding prevention and treatment of concussions.
Mayeron also disclosed Campbell’s reply to Townend’s email.

“This guy is a freaking idiot!†Campbell responded to Grand and others on May 16, 2013

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
In a separate batch of emails related to the firing of a former NHL referee several years ago, Campbell suggested the league “gas this ******** (referee).â€

I think once these emails are released the NHL is going to have the biggest **** storm they've ever seen on their hands.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think once these emails are released the NHL is going to have the biggest **** storm they've ever seen on their hands.

I dont think so. Unless the emails show a bunch of NHL management saying terrible things everyone is fine except Campbell. Simply fire Campbell and the problem is gone

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Bettman's remarks worry me the most. He publicly acknowledged that releasing the emails would "chill deliberations among members of the CWG".

Translation, the CWG (Concussion Working Group) would learn that the NHL doesn't actually give a rat's ass what their expert opinion is on a concussion protocol and is only being used so that it appears that the NHL is actually working on the issue.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I dont think so. Unless the emails show a bunch of NHL management saying terrible things everyone is fine except Campbell. Simply fire Campbell and the problem is gone

well it would depend on what the recommendations were by the head trainer

if he recommended a process that would be safer for the players the suffer concussions, the players in the lawsuit could easily argue that the nhl had options and chose to ignore it/save money/be ignorant etc etc and firing campbell wont help them dodge the crazy potential payout they will have to do

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Now I understand why the league kept trying to promote the idea of Colin Campbell filling GM vacancies for about a decade.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wait, so our head trainer suggested prevention and treatment ideas from other trainers around the league, and Campbell called him "an idiot" for it?

Yeah, heaven forbid the league tries to actually look out for their players, eh Collie? Goes to show you just how much of an old boys club the league is.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Collin Campbell always came across as a ******** to me, this seems to confirm it. NHL excels at hiring morons like him, maybe he was looking at the mirror when he wrote that email?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

The referee he's talking about is probably Dean Warren. It was widely speculated that Warren was punished and eventually fired because the NHL didn't like what he was doing on behalf of the NHLOA.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Sorry a bit OT but why is there a differentiation between Koh-lin and Caw-lin. Do you just change the pronunciation of your name once you become a Secretary of State or a high-powered executive?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sorry a bit OT but why is there a differentiation between Koh-lin and Caw-lin. Do you just change the pronunciation of your name once you become a Secretary of State or a high-powered executive?

I think Campbell and Powell use their pronouciation because they're full of ****.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Do you guys think that taking fighting and open ice hits out of the game it could eliminate most of the concussion problems? it may come down to only checking along the boards who knows. money talks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bettman's remarks worry me the most. He publicly acknowledged that releasing the emails would "chill deliberations among members of the CWG".

Translation, the CWG (Concussion Working Group) would learn that the NHL doesn't actually give a rat's ass what their expert opinion is on a concussion protocol and is only being used so that it appears that the NHL is actually working on the issue.

Considering the judge agreed with him, I'm going to go ahead and claim that your translation is way off.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
With few exceptions, could this explain how badly the Sens have been treated by the refs for so long

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Do you guys think that taking fighting and open ice hits out of the game it could eliminate most of the concussion problems? it may come down to only checking along the boards who knows. money talks.

I could see them trying to implement something like that. A penalty similar to charging for high hits where the gap between players is closing very quickly. I don't enjoy Scott Stevens-type hits (well, they have a NASCAR-crash appeal) but I do like a nice open-ice hit that breaks up a rush. A rule along those lines would result in hits where the defender tries to "stick" with his hit target. They'd have to let more clutch-and-grab. Otherwise the game would get soooo much more soft.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Considering the judge agreed with him, I'm going to go ahead and claim that your translation is way off.

Please read the article again.
Judge Mayeron unsealed the emails that Bettman was referring to.

Campbell's entire email reply had been redacted and Bettman had argued that disclosing the May 15, 2013, email would “chill deliberations among members of the CWG about the most effective methods to diagnose, treat and manage concussions, and might deter qualified persons from serving on the CWG.â€

Mayeron wrote that Campbell’s emails should be unsealed

While Mayeron agreed to keep secret records relating to a number of NHL board of governor meetings, she ruled that meeting minutes related to presentations about concussions should be unsealed.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa

I doubt it. I think the main factor is the speed of the game. IIRC, there has been a steady increase in concussions in women's NCAA hockey as well, and there's no body checking in women's hockey. I seem to recall reading that concussion rates between women and men's NCAA hockey was not that different. Although in fairness, men's rate could still be higher as women are more likely to report symptoms of concussions compared to men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad