News Article: Ottawa Senators Organization Actively Considering Building Arena At Lebreton Flats

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
lol, true. Add in a off-site University/college campus in there as well. Or maybe partition some land off for private development, too.

Reason I suggest the museum, is to keep the large "Glebite" type artsy-educational crowd happy. If we're putting taxpayer funds into a new arena, we need to throw the arts group a carrot, as well. Putting the new museum there solves a big problem with that facility. And traffic won't be a problem with the LRT line coming in, and along the highway (and we won't have 20k people going to the museum at once and causing a rush hour situation).

You can fit the museum inside the mall

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ha. Gentlemens bet you are wrong

What level of government help are we talking about here? Municipal or Provincial?

The city ain't doing **** for Melnyk. Maybe the province might, though? I have no idea what Wynne's ideas are about publicly funded buildings like that.

Federally, Baird might throw his weight around, because he's been a proponent of a downtown arena for a while, and shifting federal funds to a municipal project in/near a high level minister's riding seems like something the Fed Cons would do.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
What level of government help are we talking about here? Municipal or Provincial?

The city ain't doing **** for Melnyk. Maybe the province might, though? I have no idea what Wynne's ideas are about publicly funded buildings like that.

Federally, Baird might throw his weight around, because he's been a proponent of a downtown arena for a while, and shifting federal funds to a municipal project in/near a high level minister's riding seems like something the Fed Cons would do.

The city will bend to Melnyks will. Just get ready for a public squabble

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Who would buy an NHL arena in the middle of Kanata when one is being built in the downtown core? How much can you realistically expect to sell it for if there is no NHL team that comes with it as an anchor tenant?

What use is a 2nd NHL-sized arena in a city that has a more centrally located, newer arena? It's not like you can put it on a truck and move it to Hamilton or anything.

Just put a huuuuuuuuuge ****ing loblaws in it.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Ha. Gentlemens bet you are wrong

You sir, have a deal.

I hope it happens. It'd increase the likelihood of a downtown arena but I just can't see any level of government giving a significant amount of money to this project.

The article does mention private partners willing to team up with the Sens. It'd be interesting to see whether or not one of those partners is Minto or Claridge. The latter already has a ton of money invested in the Icon building at the corner of Carling and Preston so Minto seems like they'd potentially be the more likely of the two to be interested in this undertaking.

Things are looking much better than they did yesterday. I hope it happens within the next 10 years!

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
There's no precedent that supports this. Quite the opposite, in fact. Why assume anything will change now?

$200 million from the city of Edmonton for a new arena

Calgary is searching for money

There has not been a completely privately built arena in the past 25 years in North America (could be wrong, subsidization more often then not)

100% threats of Ottawa Senators relocation is coming as a PR move

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'm petitioning this thread be deleted.

There's absolutely nothing of substance in that article.

This is a complete propaganda article by the Sens to distract everyone from the firing of Maclean.

What's the one thing every sens fan starts salivating at the mouth over?

A NEW ARENA DOWNTOWN!

Quick quick run the article. Distract the rabble from our tire fire of a team.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008

This is a complete propaganda article by the Sens to distract everyone from the firing of Maclean.

A NEW ARENA DOWNTOWN!

The bidding for Lebretton Flats is happening regardless of the Maclean firing, it is the most logical place in Ottawa to place an arena if you move downtown (which has been the goal for years)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"Canadian Tire Center is fine"

Youre kidding right. It's in the middle of nowhere so its inaccessible for tourists. You cant drink when you attend a game because you have to drive afterwards. You have to pay $13 for parking and it takes at least an hour to get there and i live on Elgin.

Please please move it downtown. Its a joke and an embarrassment that Ottawa s major entertainment center is 45 minutes from downtown. Someone start a petition.

Ironically, the only people who say "Canadian Tire Center is fine" are those who live in Kanata and beyond who detest the idea of a two hour round trip to see a Senators game.......

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

A NEW ARENA DOWNTOWN!

Dude, we're discussing a sports article from Ottawa most legitimate newspaper. At the very least, it's worth debating.

Besides, if it were a propaganda piece, it would have run in the Sun first.
#JustDonBrennanThings

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
The obstacles that Chianello cites at the end seem rather daunting at first sight.

The concept of an NHL hockey arena doesn’t immediately jibe with other NCC criteria for the new development, including fostering a “strong integration with existing and surrounding communities” or being a “complementary use for a waterfront site, with nearby national institutions and memorials.”

As well, the NCC set up an expectation that the new development would be anchored by a public institution — LeBreton Flats is public land — and, at least under the current ownership structure, the NHL arena does not qualify.

How do you grease that with the NCC? Or can they just arbitrarily waive such a thing.

+ she says the process is very competitive right now, hence the extended deadline from Dec. 5 to Jan. 7.

No guarantees in that piece.

Sens say they have received some community outreach and partnership offers. That's good. No numbers there. Obviously they need more and if it is at all a realistic possibility, seems so, I hope people get behind it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
i'm petitioning this thread be deleted.

This is a complete propaganda article by the sens to distract everyone from the firing of maclean.

A new arena downtown!

but what if it's true!!!!?????

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The bidding for Lebretton Flats is happening regardless of the Maclean firing, it is the most logical place in Ottawa to place an arena if you move downtown (which has been the goal for years)

Dude, we're discussing a sports article from Ottawa most legitimate newspaper. At the very least, it's worth debating.

Besides, if it were a propaganda piece, it would have run in the Sun first.
#JustDonBrennanThings

Again there is nothing of substance in the article.

Exactly 6.7% of that article is information from the Sens.

55 words out of 823.

There's nothing there other than pure conjecture from the author. It's ridiculous that they would release such a useless spew of words the day after Maclean is released.

I wonder how long the sens were holding off on saying,

“actively considering the opportunity"

or that they've been,

“approached by numerous well-established private sector companies and community organizations who have expressed a strong desire to partner with us on developing a world-class proposal for the site.”

earth shattering quotes right there. This completely changes everything since the last article they ran about the Sens moving to lebreton flats.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Again there is nothing of substance in the article.

Exactly 6.7% of that article is information from the Sens.

55 words out of 823.

There's nothing there other than pure conjecture from the author. It's ridiculous that they would release such a useless spew of words the day after Maclean is released.

I wonder how long the sens were holding off on saying,

“actively considering the opportunity"

or that they've been,

“approached by numerous well-established private sector companies and community organizations who have expressed a strong desire to partner with us on developing a world-class proposal for the site.â€

earth shattering quotes right there. This completely changes everything since the last article they ran about the Sens moving to lebreton flats.

Are you one of those people that don't believe something is true until its confirmed? IE: Trade speculation

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Are you one of those people that don't believe something is true until its confirmed? IE: Trade speculation

Yes, I believe the Sens are, “actively considering the opportunity."

wow. The sens are considering new business opportunities. who would have guessed.

Jerk Store*

I can't help but feel we should be the ones to start up this vocalization...

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yes, I believe the Sens are, “actively considering the opportunity."

wow. The sens are considering new business opportunities. who would have guessed.

By itself, not much, but at least a step in a direction that many thought they'd never see. Looks like they may be testing the waters to see if they have the fan support to get some momentum behind this. What's wrong with that exactly? I personally don't feel we should let conspiracy theories get in the way of a potentially good thing for the city or the Sens organization.

edit: obviously, as the article made very clear, this is very far from reality yet.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It may have crossed into the realm of inescapable fact that the arena would always be in Kanata but I think we have always wanted this.

I think sometimes people confuse the "why the arena is where it is" debate with some fictitious account of how the next 25 years will play out.

Doc Brown said it best:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad