Speculation: Ottawa Senators offseason plan

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'd love to see it, but Backes's NMC will be converted into a NTC after July 1, and I doubt that Ottawa is on the list of teams that he would accept a trade to.

agree it's a bit of a pipedream. but never know. especially if they win the cup. he's certainly proving to be
pretty useful the last few games.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Is there anyway that if Boston wins the cup that Backes might retire?

i don't think it's out of the question for him to decide he's not "fit" to play, and collect his cash while hanging
out on what the leafs people called robidas island. official retirement? no.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cody Ceci is not garbage. He is a #5 defenseman, who can play top 4 in a pinch, but is being asked to play the toughest minutes imaginable without any support.

You're right, but that sounds like a player you shouldn't give nearly $30m to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I seriously think Ottawa should just cut all ties with Ceci altogether

I think it would be better for the young D to have a little insulation from Ceci. Let him get embarrassed, not them. Give Ceci a one year deal and then let him go in UFA. Of course if the Sens can sign a veteran D or two to play that role it would be even better, and in that case they are better off without Ceci.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This is the year they should be tanking.

They got lucky last year when they lost the lottery despite finishing last. This year they keep their pick.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Marleau is a Melnyk wet dream. He is a lock to become a senator.

I'm sure the Sens would love to get a 20 year NHL vet who can score 35-45 points in the top 9 at 1M per after his bonus is paid, and I bet the Leafs would not mind cutting bait a year early for the cap space.

I doubt Marleau would waive his NTC, let alone waive it to go to Ottawa.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm sure the Sens would love to get a 20 year NHL vet who can score 35-45 points in the top 9 at 1M per after his bonus is paid, and I bet the Leafs would not mind cutting bait a year early for the cap space.

I doubt Marleau would waive his NTC, let alone waive it to go to Ottawa.

If he didn't have a NTC, I'd honestly think this would've happened on July 2nd.

Though Phaneuf waived his NTC to Ottawa when nobody thought he would.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he didn't have a NTC, I'd honestly think this would've happened on July 2nd.

Though Phaneuf waived his NTC to Ottawa when nobody thought he would.

Just for clarification, Phaneuf never waived. He had a 12 team trade list, Ottawa was on it. Michalek was in the trade on Ottawa's side, and he had to choose to waive his no trade clause. He did it thinking he'd get a greater opportunity on a rebuilding Maple Leafs team, and they absolutely buried him. (Not saying he did or didn't deserve it)

I think that it is possible that Ottawa was only on it to limit the destinations. If you're Phaneuf's agent, and you're trying to get Phaneuf from TOR to LAK or another preferred destination, you'd probably would want to put all the Atlantic teams, especially a rival like Ottawa and Montreal who Toronto never trades with. Judging by trade rumours, Detroit was on his trade list to.

At the end of the day, TOR entered a rebuild and didn't care about trading him within the divison.

With all that said, Ottawa in 2016 while not a highly desirable destination was a solid bubble playoff team with Erik Karlsson and a few stars. The team wasn't in a perpetual state of controversy. I can't see anybody waiving to come here. Maybe a forward who is in the same boat as the previously mentioned Milan Michalek might if they think Ottawa having almost no top 6 forwards might afford them opportunity to get showcased for another contract.

Reactions: justafan22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad