GDT: Ottawa Senators @ New Jersey Devils 7PM EST

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
1)Can't say we've seen a game like last night in a while, totally dominate the game, but get stoned by a hot goalie. I was feeling nostalgic.

2)If people want the tank, why are we upset that this team continues to stink? Now when Lou trades that pick in Febuary for a 28 yr old who is 2 years away from Free agency? Ya then it will be time to get peeved. But right now I'm at hold my noes and watch phase .

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There are no flying jelly jars because this team isn't underachieving. I honestly don't think this team as currently constructed can get much better results than this. If you look at our F lineup, (and keep in mind that it's almost 2015) it is absolutely putrid. We're simply getting the expected results.

Our D should continue to improve, but when rolling 4 rookies/sophomores every night there are going to be problems.

We're at the bottom of a deep hole right now. If everything goes right, it will take 5 years to be competitive again. Our D should be in top form by then.

The forwards will have to be rebuilt virtually from scratch. It won't be pretty. Just hope we draft well and make a shrewd trade here and there. It's the only way out of this mess.

But is our young d the issue right now? Or is it the fwd's lack of production? I'd say the latter.

At beginning of the year I liked the way the roster looked. But I looked at it as if there would be no injuries, when it was obvious that we were going to have to deal with injuries. I also did not account for Zajac, Elias, Ryder, Havlat, JJ etc to be so unproductive.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
So just woke up to the S***storm that Elias created by dumping his problems and the rest of the teams on the fans. I'm really tired of him as of late. He hasn't produced anything what so ever this entire season and half of last season (after the new years) He seems to be drifting on the ice and making a paycheck while complaining about the fans. I offically think our "Coach" has brainwashed our sorry excuse of a team into accepting poor efforts and tells them "It's ok, next time, right guys?" "We lost tonight, no practice tomorrow, take the night off and go to the strip club or bar". God forbid they are forced to practice the day after a losing game. I'm starting to see a pattern here and it's becoming increasingly evident that Marty left for other reasons then playtime. He wanted to be on a team that actually has a chance at a playoff spot. I can't believe I have 2 free games to go to at the Rock this weekend. I can't wait to see peoples reactions first hand in the last 5 minutes of yet another losing game.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So just woke up to the S***storm that Elias created by dumping his problems and the rest of the teams on the fans. I'm really tired of him as of late. He hasn't produced anything what so ever this entire season and half of last season (after the new years) He seems to be drifting on the ice and making a paycheck while complaining about the fans. I offically think our "Coach" has brainwashed our sorry excuse of a team into accepting poor efforts and tells them "It's ok, next time, right guys?" "We lost tonight, no practice tomorrow, take the night off and go to the strip club or bar". God forbid they are forced to practice the day after a losing game. I'm starting to see a pattern here and it's becoming increasingly evident that Marty left for other reasons then playtime. He wanted to be on a team that actually has a chance at a playoff spot. I can't believe I have 2 free games to go to at the Rock this weekend. I can't wait to see peoples reactions first hand in the last 5 minutes of yet another losing game.

Martys priority was to stay a Devil and be the starter hence all the meetings with Lou, once he realized there was no realistic way to do that if we wanted to sign Cory long term before he hit UFA he decided it's best to part ways.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Martys priority was to stay a Devil and be the starter hence all the meetings with Lou, once he realized there was no realistic way to do that if we wanted to sign Cory long term before he hit UFA he decided it's best to part ways.

I also believe Brodeur was tired of the losing. I think he definitely wanted to play more but I think the losing part had a lot to do with his departure as well. If the team was better like the team he is on now, he would have been less apprehensive about being a back up.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I also believe Brodeur was tired of the losing. I think he definitely wanted to play more but I think the losing part had a lot to do with his departure as well. If the team was better like the team he is on now, I think he would have been less apprehensive about being a back up.

Marty is like Jagr. He's chasing numbers and he's still enjoying playing. He wants to get to 700 wins, and he knew that Cory was the guy here. So that meant either a lot of starts somewhere else, or a backup on a good team that would give him a chance to get there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I also believe Brodeur was tired of the losing. I think he definitely wanted to play more but I think the losing part had a lot to do with his departure as well. If the team was better like the team he is on now, he would have been less apprehensive about being a back up.

No Marty left because we did not offer. And he did not sign with any of the other clubs at the start of the year, because no one offered. He eventually signed with St Louis, because they offered.

I agree Marty did not like the losing, I believe he was close to retiring after the Johnny Mac season, but the 2012 season got him going again, and then he saw 700 dangling there. I think he thinks he can still play, but I also think 700 is a big factor.

Camille the Eel

1)Can't say we've seen a game like last night in a while, totally dominate the game, but get stoned by a hot goalie. I was feeling nostalgic.

2)If people want the tank, why are we upset that this team continues to stink? Now when Lou trades that pick in Febuary for a 28 yr old who is 2 years away from Free agency? Ya then it will be time to get peeved. But right now I'm at hold my noes and watch phase .

I don't think we got "stoned by a hot goalie" last night. I only watched the first two periods - it just got too frustrating to watch -

and, while yes, Anderson didn't make any mistakes, he didn't need to stand on his head either. Those were the softest 36 shots a goalie is going to face. A bigger, stronger, more talented team forces the issue, sustains the pressure and gets pucks by him.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
No Marty left because we did not offer. And he did not sign with any of the other clubs at the start of the year, because no one offered. He eventually signed with St Louis, because they offered.

I agree Marty did not like the losing, I believe he was close to retiring after the Johnny Mac season, but the 2012 season got him going again, and then he saw 700 dangling there. I think he thinks he can still play, but I also think 700 is a big factor.

I don't think Brodeur was signing with the Devils no matter what. I think he and his agent made that clear.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think we got "stoned by a hot goalie" last night. I only watched the first two periods - it just got too frustrating to watch -

and, while yes, Anderson didn't make any mistakes, he didn't need to stand on his head either. Those were the softest 36 shots a goalie is going to face. A bigger, stronger, more talented team forces the issue, sustains the pressure and gets pucks by him.

Disagree, a bunch of one timer's right in the slot. Zajac had a couple himself. Elias had some real good scoring op's. Gelinas got some good heavy one timers off. Anderson was very good.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think Brodeur was signing with the Devils no matter what. I think he and his agent made that clear.

Again, beginning of the year, no offers on the table, and you think if the Devils offered Marty would have declined?

MAYBE because of the fact Devils had some weird idea to play Schnied's 70+, but even then I think Marty saw there was no other options.

I think Devils were the ones that made the call on this.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Again, beginning of the year, no offers on the table, and you think if the Devils offered Marty would have declined?

MAYBE because of the fact Devils had some weird idea to play Schnied's 70+, but even then I think Marty saw there was no other options.

I think it was mutual. Brodeur and the Devils were both done with each other. He made it clear he wanted to be a on good team and if not he would need to the starter on a ****** team. He was not getting that here.

If it was March or something, maybe he signs but no I don't think he wanted to come back here at all. The comments last spring when he was still splitting time were basically "get me the **** outta here if I'm not going to play!"

Camille the Eel

Disagree, a bunch of one timer's right in the slot. Zajac had a couple himself. Elias had some real good scoring op's. Gelinas got some good heavy one timers off. Anderson was very good.

well I'll have to look again but no rebounds, no sustained possession (like in the old days when ZZPop would just keep cycling for 30 seconds and get chance after chance and finally get one past), no real crashing the net, no moving the puck across ice, no inside position physically - Gelinas gets off a bomb and it hits Anderson in the chest and the puck drops in front and we have nobody there. Or we get a two on one and the cross ice pass, the ancient and honorable Jagr hits it on net but can't really rip it to the top corner . . .

so he makes some tough saves okay, he's good last night, but he didn't steal the game.

Cory ten days or so ago in Carolina stole that game more than Anderson did last night. They went into a shell and we didn't really break them down.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland

That's is my impression as well! The system is so predictable, especially on the PP. As a goalie you know exactly from where you get the next shot and you can already take position for it - so onetimers are far from dangerous in such circumstances.

Also eye catching was that on the PK the Sens always had one or two guys pretty high close to Zid ready for the turnover and breakaway. it was pure luck we did not get a shorthander or two.

This tells me, everyone has figured out Petes system and we are getting beaten because of that.

goawaygary*

People forget after the flying jelly jar the Devils promptly lost the series at home. It had no effect

Lemaire came in and the team at one point had a 20-2-2 run and STILL MISSED THE PLAYOFFS. Just goes to show what kind of hole that team was in. That team didn't pass 28 points until January 17th! This team has 28 points NOW and they stink

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Maybe Lou can hurl one of these guys this time around

50661138.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
well I'll have to look again but no rebounds, no sustained possession (like in the old days when ZZPop would just keep cycling for 30 seconds and get chance after chance and finally get one past), no real crashing the net, no moving the puck across ice, no inside position physically - Gelinas gets off a bomb and it hits Anderson in the chest and the puck drops in front and we have nobody there. Or we get a two on one and the cross ice pass, the ancient and honorable Jagr hits it on net but can't really rip it to the top corner . . .

so he makes some tough saves okay, he's good last night, but he didn't steal the game.

Cory ten days or so ago in Carolina stole that game more than Anderson did last night. They went into a shell and we didn't really break them down.

Ya know rebounds, not much by way of deflections. But saves on those ops tend to be of the ridiculous variety.

But he made multiple saves on good clean shots from fairly close, some excellent scoring chances in there, Anderson played really really well.

Camille the Eel

Ya know rebounds, not much by way of deflections. But saves on those ops tend to be of the ridiculous variety.

But he made multiple saves on good clean shots from fairly close, some excellent scoring chances in there, Anderson played really really well.

Played really well, exactly, that's right. But Anderson didn't have to do more than that. He didn't have to be great, stand on his head, steal a game level.

And lest we feed the myth that it was just a hard luck loss, look, we came out really flat and lost the game in the first ten minutes. They scored on the power play and dominated for about seven or eight minutes after that. Until Ryan took 2 dumb penalties. And when our power play couldn't score with three chances into the early 2d period they went into a shell to sit on a one goal lead and succeeded.

We didn't have the size and skill to break down that defensive shell. And when wedidn't get the bounce that we needed if we didn't have the size and skill, game over. And what a dull affair to watch if you were anything but a die hard Ottawa fan and even then, man, tune out and check the score on NHL.com later. The whole thing one ten second offensive highlight and twenty seconds of Anderson.

GhostofKenKlee

Marty didn't want to be here if he wasn't going to be top billing/banana. No way he was going to be a backup on "his" team. Hence, he's a backup in St. Louis for the time being.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anderson is very good and one of the more underrated goaltenders in the league IMO. This was actually one of the better goaltending performances I've seen against our team in the last couple years. Much better than those embarrassing shutouts to trash like Emery, Scrivens, Montoya, Holtby, Reimer, and Ramo.

Effort wasn't a problem in this game. We weren't out of this world or anything, but we were on par with what most teams look like against this awful Ottawa team every night. Get outshot badly.

The efforts in Dallas and Philly were abysmal. Those two along with Ottawa, were all winnable games. Ottawa's win was from an outstanding goalie performance. The other two teams won because we didn't even come to play.

We scored enough to beat Dallas, but allowed 33 shots after two periods and coasted through that game. Emery could have had dinner and a movie against Philly and still won. We barely tested him and coasted through the entire game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad