News Article: Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion has had a busy off-season with more work ahead before camp

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So some backpedaling on the Captain, and being on bride deal ....Just give him the C ,never should have been brought up in the first place ....His contract length doesnt change the fact he is the leader of the team

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bruce just takes on the 2 things Sens fans hate the most about their team.
1 parking and getting home after the game, complete gong show and the lengths the team went to to have that parking money makes you feel like a rat in a cage in February at 10:15pm when you just sit in your car for 20 minutes and you’ve moved 6 feet.
2. Lack of money - Sens dont have enough money to finance this rebuild - I know we are hopeful but let’s just come back to reality - and if there was any doubt to any of this, this summers lack of movement on Tkachuk is a simple reminder of that. We will sign Tkachuk but this won’t be a 5 FYOUS window. It will be a 2 year (FYOUS FANS! I CANT AFFORD IT) window when these guys are all on entry level and if you don’t believe me - bookmark this post for later. We can’t Fford these players when they come out of entry, just do 1 minute of math and you’ll know.
This core that Bruce mentions in his article won’t together in the summer of 2023 - can’t afford it sadly.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You guys complain about Dorion not doing anything but the second he rushes a deal and overpays, just to appease the fan base, posters on here will be ready to burn his house down. Maybe he's been working on deals all summer but sticking to his guns and refusing to give up a top prospect. As Duncstar says, patience is a good thing.

Yup … pretty much.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That might have been one of the worst articles Bruce has ever written. The content was very weak especially the title, and its littered with spelling and grammatical errors.

And for goodness sakes, hes still spelling Stützle incorrectly. :facepalm:

GoMyTeam

Aug 20, 2017
I think Dylan Strome would be a good fit all things considered. Any idea what Chicago would be looking for in exchange?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Dylan Strome would be a good fit all things considered. Any idea what Chicago would be looking for in exchange?

DJ would not like Strome (for some very valid reasons) but I do think they have likely discussed it. Don’t think/hope they would pay too much though
So some backpedaling on the Captain, and being on bride deal ....Just give him the C ,never should have been brought up in the first place ....His contract length doesnt change the fact he is the leader of the team

Agreed 1000%. I do think that these guys are tight enough that N Paul or Brown could even get it and they wouldn’t bat an eye (or of course TC) , and it should be part of the sell - sign long term and lead this team - but not used as a chip and especially should not be a factor in the actual decision.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
From the article:
“Melnyk has said the organization would like to get Tkachuk signed to a long-term extension (six, seven or eight years) and make him the captain. If you’re going to sew the ‘C’ on a players jersey does it really make sense to have him playing on a three-year bridge deal if that’s what the two sides decide to settle on?”

Is this true? Did Melnyk actually say that? I thought he just sort of alluded to it in his Toronto radio interview.

Do other orgs dangle the captaincy like a carrot in contract negotiations with their RFAs? It comes off as pathetic. If they’ve identified Brady as the leader of the team, of course it makes sense to give him the C regardless of how long his deal is for. And if he signs a bridge, being the C likely makes him more invested and likely to stay than having it withheld out of management pettiness.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Do other orgs dangle the captaincy like a carrot in contract negotiations with their RFAs? It comes off as pathetic. If they’ve identified Brady as the leader of the team, of course it makes sense to give him the C regardless of how long his deal is for. And if he signs a bridge, being the C likely makes him more invested and likely to stay than having it withheld out of management pettiness.
Players have already talked about how the C isn’t that important. They know who the leaders are regardless of a letter .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You guys complain about Dorion not doing anything but the second he rushes a deal and overpays, just to appease the fan base, posters on here will be ready to burn his house down. Maybe he's been working on deals all summer but sticking to his guns and refusing to give up a top prospect. As Duncstar says, patience is a good thing.

There's many many ways to improve a team and WITHOUT giving a "top prospect", but it requires TWO things :

- the ability to SPEND the money necessary
- players that want to play in Ottawa AND for Melnyk

There's been a lot of players signed on the UFA market that could improve a team or at least provide a good stop gap. Exactly like we did with Dadonov. It didn't work out? Who cares? We got out of it and even got a 3rd round pick and a decent and cheap 3rd pairing D-man in return. Vegas seem to think that Dadonov will help them so they were ready to take that "financial risk". That's what NHL teams do. It's not that we don't do it, it's that we barely do it and when we do, it rarely works out (could list a lot of examples but will keep it "recent" with Dadonov, Murray, Stepan, Gudbranson...)

So why exactly are these moves not working out? Well, maybe we should ask the GM. Of course, if we'd have a better success rate, then we wouldn't need to always look to make more moves. Look at Bergevin last offseason : brought in Jake Allen, Joel Edmunson, Tyler Toffoli, Corey Perry and Josh Anderson. All moves that worked brilliantly. Let me know when Pierre Dorion hits anywhere close to 5/5 lol

Also, I have this impression that we now care more about the team's bottom line than anything else. Talked about it recently but look at Buffalo for example, how much they sucked the last 14 years, how much their owner is ready to lose every year while spending to the cap (until very recently). Sure, Melnyk is "not as rich" but that's the point.

If we didn't feel so bad and cared so much about Melnyk's finances (poor guy, we don't want him to lose a dollar!), we would ask for more without any shame. If he considers him not rich enough to operate a NHL team that will most likely have a negative operative income most years, then theres a line of people waiting to take the burden off his hands.

All that being said, here's a list of examples that could have improved the team without costing any asset or not that much :

Phillip Danault
Tomas Tatar
Brandon Saad
Jake McCabe
Pius Suter
Dougie Hamilton
David Savard
Mikael Granlund
Jaden Schwartz
Alexander Wennberg
Adam Larsson
Sam Reinhart
Pavel Buchnevich
Jared McCann
Viktor Arvidsson
Nick Leddy
Duncan Keith
Jake Bean
Jakub Voracek
Nate Schmidt

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There's many many ways to improve a team and WITHOUT giving a "top prospect", but it requires TWO things :

- the ability to SPEND the money necessary
- players that want to play in Ottawa AND for Melnyk

There's been a lot of players signed on the UFA market that could improve a team or at least provide a good stop gap. Exactly like we did with Dadonov. It didn't work out? Who cares? We got out of it and even got a 3rd round pick and a decent and cheap 3rd pairing D-man in return. Vegas seem to think that Dadonov will help them so they were ready to take that "financial risk". That's what NHL teams do. It's not that we don't do it, it's that we barely do it and when we do, it rarely works out (could list a lot of examples but will keep it "recent" with Dadonov, Murray, Stepan, Gudbranson...)

So why exactly are these moves not working out? Well, maybe we should ask the GM. Of course, if we'd have a better success rate, then we wouldn't need to always look to make more moves. Look at Bergevin last offseason : brought in Jake Allen, Joel Edmunson, Tyler Toffoli, Corey Perry and Josh Anderson. All moves that worked brilliantly. Let me know when Pierre Dorion hits anywhere close to 5/5 lol

Also, I have this impression that we now care more about the team's bottom line than anything else. Talked about it recently but look at Buffalo for example, how much they sucked the last 14 years, how much their owner is ready to lose every year while spending to the cap (until very recently). Sure, Melnyk is "not as rich" but that's the point.

If we didn't feel so bad and cared so much about Melnyk's finances (poor guy, we don't want him to lose a dollar!), we would ask for more without any shame. If he considers him not rich enough to operate a NHL team that will most likely have a negative operative income most years, then theres a line of people waiting to take the burden off his hands.

All that being said, here's a list of examples that could have improved the team without costing any asset or not that much :

Phillip Danault
Tomas Tatar
Brandon Saad
Jake McCabe
Pius Suter
Dougie Hamilton
David Savard
Mikael Granlund
Jaden Schwartz
Alexander Wennberg
Adam Larsson
Sam Reinhart
Pavel Buchnevich
Jared McCann
Viktor Arvidsson
Nick Leddy
Duncan Keith
Jake Bean
Jakub Voracek
Nate Schmidt

Have to wonder how much the RFA signings required this year and what they are looking at offering as well as their projections for next year have handcuffed them in trying to acquire quality players in the UFA market. I also believe Dorion was given a little rope last year and that rope was tightened when things were not quite as rosy as they were sold to be.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
What an article lol

Man Pierre must be exhausted from…err…not signing a bunch of crappy players from last year, and my god - they should be given effort of the year for “turning the draft around”?!?!?
They did it everyone! They did it! They participated in the draft!!!

The Sens need a new mouth piece, I mean you don’t have to have a lack of effort, knowledge, or writing ability to be the local hack do you? Amazing.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
from the article
OTTAWA SENATORS

PROJECTED ROSTER
GOALTENDERS

Matt Murray
Anton Forsberg
Filip Gustavsson
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Thomas Chabot- Nikita Zaitsev
Michael Del Zotto -Artem Zub
Victor Mete-Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom-Josh Brown
FORWARD LINES
Brady Tkachuk-Josh Norris-Drake Batherson
Tim Stuetzle-Colin White-Connor Brown
Nick Paul-Shane Pinto-TBD
Alex Formenton -Chris Tierney-Austin Watson
Logan Brown-Ridly Greig

Extremely weak lineup. It will be a very long winter and a next winter after that. Budget drafting means no help is coming to score goals any time soon. This roster will just not generate enough offence and score enough goals. Goaltending situation is also atrocious. I can not imaging cheering for this team anymore. It is so frustrating. We have the worst NHL GM of all time, the worst scouts and one of the worst owners in the league. It all adds up just to pure craziness! I just hope Stutzle will turn things around this season and be the player he can be with his enormous upside, as our only beacon of hope

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

*Dorion trades a 4th round pick*

Fanbase:

He did what?!?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lazy cheap writing from a schill who doesn't understand the game, most here could do better easily id assume. A proper owner is always the dream but some sense of a real sports journalist/media would be beyond welcomed here as its been seemingly forever.

100 % . Brucie has grown way too comfy in his cushy Sens chair where he parrots what he is told as if the idea popped into his head.. and when he is told something requiring understanding .. he often gets it wrong. He is one or two steps from packing it all in if it gets too difficult so I'm sure his effort level reflects that. Last year he was asked if something he wrote was the position of the team and he responded.. what I can't have ideas of my own.. yet he never distinguishes what are his own ideas and what are the pass along messages from the team even when asked directly.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Bruce Gari HACK has been a horrible reporter for the Sens for the past 25 years. He used to make up fake trade crap all the time. He is the biggest brown noser and arse kisser I have ever seen. 90% of what he writes never happens I think PD tells him old news or something. I personally don't believe anything he writes and actually try to not even read his crap.

This guy has no credibility in Sports industry and TSN should be ashame to put him on regional broadcasts.

That article was horribly done, I am surprised they let Bruce publish that and no editors went over it before it was published.

Doesn't matter is all recycled crap.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Okay I don't see how PD has been busy, not much has happened. Maybe he is binge watching some Netflix and texting anyone who sends a message.

I think PD had some plans and those did not happen and he missed his window to cut a deal or trade Has been strange off season for the Sens is like we are playing possum.

I hope he does not make any desperate knee jerking moves.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
That article was horribly done, I am surprised they let Bruce publish that and no editors went over it before it was published.

I don't want to crap on the guy too much, but it is crazy to me how many typos and run-on sentences make it into his articles

Reactions: Yak

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
GARRIOCH: Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion has had a busy off-season with more work ahead before camp | Ottawa Sun

The Senators have work to do with their own free agents.
Tkachuk, Batherson and Gustavsson all need contract extensions after coming off their entry-level deals.

Let’s be honest, most eyes are on Tkachuk because the 21-year-old winger has 125 points in 198 games since being selected No. 4 overall in the 2018 NHL draft. Trying to guess what kind of extension Tkachuk is going to sign by some media has become almost a daily exercise in Ottawa because the reality is nobody knows where these discussions are at.

A busy off-season? Yeah I don’t wanna read anything more than the title

Reactions: branch

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I have not read the article but no doubt , he s busy. Not because he have not make a lot of move that he s not on in phone working on negotiation contract and try for trade deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad