News Article: Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion has had a busy off-season with more work ahead before camp

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
GARRIOCH: Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion has had a busy off-season with more work ahead before camp | Ottawa Sun

The Senators have work to do with their own free agents.
Tkachuk, Batherson and Gustavsson all need contract extensions after coming off their entry-level deals.

Let’s be honest, most eyes are on Tkachuk because the 21-year-old winger has 125 points in 198 games since being selected No. 4 overall in the 2018 NHL draft. Trying to guess what kind of extension Tkachuk is going to sign by some media has become almost a daily exercise in Ottawa because the reality is nobody knows where these discussions are at.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
from the article
OTTAWA SENATORS

PROJECTED ROSTER
GOALTENDERS

Matt Murray
Anton Forsberg
Filip Gustavsson
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Thomas Chabot- Nikita Zaitsev
Michael Del Zotto -Artem Zub
Victor Mete-Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom-Josh Brown
FORWARD LINES
Brady Tkachuk-Josh Norris-Drake Batherson
Tim Stuetzle-Colin White-Connor Brown
Nick Paul-Shane Pinto-TBD
Alex Formenton -Chris Tierney-Austin Watson
Logan Brown-Ridly Greig

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
from the article
OTTAWA SENATORS

PROJECTED ROSTER
GOALTENDERS

Matt Murray
Anton Forsberg
Filip Gustavsson
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Thomas Chabot- Nikita Zaitsev
Michael Del Zotto -Artem Zub
Victor Mete-Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom-Josh Brown
FORWARD LINES
Brady Tkachuk-Josh Norris-Drake Batherson
Tim Stuetzle-Colin White-Connor Brown
Nick Paul-Shane Pinto-TBD
Alex Formenton -Chris Tierney-Austin Watson
Logan Brown-Ridly Greig

that’s a bottom 10 roster

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I think you could be surprised. You remember last season's roster right?!

Anyways a trade or two still happens, that roster is bubble I think. This isn't even a playoff year for us, it's a bubble year and a bubble roster. Kinda ok with that, ya know.

Would prefer Pinto down for a year, and Solokov also in Bell (with a few NHL games/ call ups).

Reactions: Yak

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I think you could be surprised. You remember last season's roster right?!

Anyways a trade or two still happens, that roster is bubble I think. This isn't even a playoff year for us, it's a bubble year and a bubble roster. Kinda ok with that, ya know.

Would prefer Pinto down for a year, and Solokov also in Bell (with a few NHL games/ call ups).

Lots easier to play with no expectations while mostly eliminated quickly in the North division.

Id bet a good amount I am not surprised, but Id like to lose that bet. That roster is just very average, especially that defense

funny how it started with a top C and a top 4 dmen and we end up with that, the article says « a move or 2, maybe for a veteran center » they’re legit so bad with what they say in the media its actually laughable

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Lots easier to play with no expectations while mostly eliminated quickly in the North division.

Id bet a good amount I am not surprised, but Id like to lose that bet. That roster is just very average, especially that defense

funny how it started with a top C and a top 4 dmen and we end up with that, the article says « a move or 2, maybe for a veteran center » they’re legit so bad with what they say in the media its actually laughable
That's fine, the defense gets better with prospects pushing. I want a RW and L Brown as our 3 C. Boom good to go.

Bubble it up!

Reactions: Rodzilla

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Still doesn't strike me as they have any idea of how to build a good NHL roster, despite one of the best, if not the best prospect strength in the league

I predict another very hard start to the season until expectations and pressure drop, until they start to fix roster decisions and let the youth come in and improve the team. Then I could see the team finishing on a "higher note" in the second half

Kinda sounds the same as last season. Some young players continuing their progression but since the competition in this league is so heavy (Atlantic is going to be ferocious), at some point, there's just not much the young guys can do.

I'd like to be more optimistic and think we have finally turned a corner but when most of the 31 other teams are spending like mofos just for the slight hope of getting a little better, it's kinda hard to compete in that condition

So that is unless they have a few moves coming in to "weaponize" cap space and improve the roster, however I'm not expecting Ottawa to do that. We're not as rich as the Coyotes for example :sarcasm:

At least the 2022 first round is going to be excellent. Let's hope Melnyk or someone else FYOUS us after that!

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
You guys complain about Dorion not doing anything but the second he rushes a deal and overpays, just to appease the fan base, posters on here will be ready to burn his house down. Maybe he's been working on deals all summer but sticking to his guns and refusing to give up a top prospect. As Duncstar says, patience is a good thing.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Still doesn't strike me as they have any idea of how to build a good NHL roster, despite one of the best, if not the best prospect strength in the league

I predict another very hard start to the season until expectations and pressure drop, until they start to fix roster decisions and let the youth come in and improve the team. Then I could see the team finishing on a "higher note" in the second half

Kinda sounds the same as last season. Some young players continuing their progression but since the competition in this league is so heavy (Atlantic is going to be ferocious), at some point, there's just not much the young guys can do.

I'd like to be more optimistic and think we have finally turned a corner but when most of the 31 other teams are spending like mofos just for the slight hope of getting a little better, it's kinda hard to compete in that condition

So that is unless they got a few moves coming in to "weaponize" cap space and imrpove the roster, however I'm not expecting Ottawa to do that. We're not as rich as the Coyotes for example :sarcasm:

At least the 2022 first round is going to be excellent. Let's hope Melnyk or someone else FYOUS us after that!
Couldnt have said it any better. Exactly my thoughts. These young kids need some good support not some 6-7Th dmens.

Reactions: Xspyrit

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
You guys complain about Dorion not doing anything but the second he rushes a deal and overpays, just to appease the fan base, posters on here will be ready to burn his house down. Maybe he's been working on deals all summer but sticking to his guns and refusing to give up a top prospect. As Duncstar says, patience is a good thing.
No. Me want trade. Monhan for Borwn and 1st now dumdum

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Market is clearly not great and PM might be at work finding a good fit. I'm ok with patience.

Patience is good but we still have some pretty important players in need of deals, and all we have to show for it is Mete for an extra year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Busy? Not the first thing that comes to mind for me. I mean its all fine, but it seems an odd summer to classify as a busy one.

I wish the team used Mendes as their pr guy instead, or at least someone else that can put together a decent article and has some on camera charisma.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
A busy off season?

Garrioch really wants to be liked by management
Literally no new or valuable information in that article lol. Just recycling the same stuff for the past month and a half. Probably had to get an article out when returning from vacation and cooked something up real quick two hours before the deadline

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
From the article:
“Melnyk has said the organization would like to get Tkachuk signed to a long-term extension (six, seven or eight years) and make him the captain. If you’re going to sew the ‘C’ on a players jersey does it really make sense to have him playing on a three-year bridge deal if that’s what the two sides decide to settle on?”

Is this true? Did Melnyk actually say that? I thought he just sort of alluded to it in his Toronto radio interview.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I am all for patience but don’t be having your grunt reporter going around trying to spin it as you have had a busy off-season.
A huge part of the article is talking about players they decided not to resign. It’s like he’s counting doing nothing as being “busy”.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
From the article:
“Melnyk has said the organization would like to get Tkachuk signed to a long-term extension (six, seven or eight years) and make him the captain. If you’re going to sew the ‘C’ on a players jersey does it really make sense to have him playing on a three-year bridge deal if that’s what the two sides decide to settle on?”

Is this true? Did Melnyk actually say that? I thought he just sort of alluded to it in his Toronto radio interview.
If not, he is essentially saying it here through Garrioch.

If this were something they didn't want communicated, Garrioch would be threatened to be buried or have his plane access revoked ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00