Value of: Ottawa Senators Fire Sale

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
i may be wrong here, but before the Season started wasn't the Sens FO trying to unload him ??

ref Ryan, he is 7.2+ mil per yr for 3 more yrs, not including this yr. now look at his production, is he worth that money per his production ??

Bobby Ryan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

now look at the money that can help sign the like of Duchene and/or Dzingel. Ryan salary plus the remainder of this yr salary cap alone can help to extend their own needs.

obviously he isn't worth it (he's been playing decent but not worth his salary) but he's got 3 years left after this one. It's not going to take thomas chabot to dump him. If you really feel that's fair feel free to actually create a thread. I'd love to see the responses. also duchene/dzingel are like both gone so no need for space for them.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bruins want Stone and Pageau

To Sens: Zboril (pair again with Chabot), Senyshyn (local boy), Frederic, Clifton

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Bruins want Stone and Pageau

To Sens: Zboril (pair again with Chabot), Senyshyn (local boy), Frederic, Clifton

Seems a little light for both honestly, although I haven't really followed Zboril or Clifton at all.

There's also the divisional aspect, which I'm sure would affect the price. It's kinda dumb, but it's how Dorion operates.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
obviously he isn't worth it (he's been playing decent but not worth his salary) but he's got 3 years left after this one. It's not going to take thomas chabot to dump him. If you really feel that's fair feel free to actually create a thread. I'd love to see the responses. also duchene/dzingel are like both gone so no need for space for them.

not only him but i am addressing the idea of other players attached to the trade to save money via the salary cap, to address the 2 or 3 important fa's that the sens have ..

btw the Sens need of more cap space is now..... not in 2 or 3 yrs.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
not only him but i am addressing the idea of other players attached to the trade to save money via the salary cap, to address the 2 or 3 important fa's that the sens have ..

Teams don't move their best player (on an ELC on top of that) to dump contracts. That's just non-sensical. There's also a cap floor, so Ryan might actually be useful to the Sens moving forward if they end up letting Stone/Duchene/Dzingel walk.

Your premise is fine, your addition of Chabot is simply too much.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Seems a little light for both honestly, although I haven't really followed Zboril or Clifton at all.

There's also the divisional aspect, which I'm sure would affect the price. It's kinda dumb, but it's how Dorion operates.

That is bad business

He should trade for best assets in return

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Teams don't move their best player (on an ELC on top of that) to dump contracts. That's just non-sensical. There's also a cap floor, so Ryan might actually be useful to the Sens moving forward if they end up letting Stone/Duchene/Dzingel walk.

Your premise is fine, your addition of Chabot is simply too much.

that is the key to this whole point isn't it ??? i wonder how the owners will feel from a economical point when fans may not want to buy tickets and all the other little things that comes with fans attending a game.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
that is the key to this whole point isn't it ??? i wonder how the owners will feel from a economical point when fans may not want to buy tickets and all the other little things that comes with fans attending a game.

I can promise you trading Chabot would hurt ticket sales more than losing UFA's that half the fan base has already mentally prepared to lose.

Reactions: LDF

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Sens fans, what are your organizational needs?

LW
C
RW
LD
RD
G

I’m asking because I assume you’re going to move out your UFA’s at the very least and start to rebuild, so what are the needs and where do you feel like you’ve got some good building blocks and/or help on the way?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

LW
C
RW
LD
RD
G

I’m asking because I assume you’re going to move out your UFA’s at the very least and start to rebuild, so what are the needs and where do you feel like you’ve got some good building blocks and/or help on the way?

1 Defence
2 Goaltending (Assuming Anderson is shipped out and Gustavsson is a couple years away)
3a Wingers
3b Center

Defence is the biggest organizational need by a country mile, especially on RD.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
1 Defence (especially RD)
2 Goaltending (Assuming Anderson is shipped out and Gustavsson is a couple years away)
3a Wingers
3b Center

Here are some Bruins prospects that might fill some needs...

Defence
  • Urho Vaakanainen (LD) - led all of Finland's defense in ice time on their gold medal run. Super smart, poised and smooth. Not much offense there but looked like an NHL vet when called up this year.
  • Jeremy Lauzon (L/R D) - Is a left shot but plays the right a lot. Plays with jam/moxie and has an offensive dimension too. Is NHL ready right now. When the B's were without Chara and McAvoy he played 21, 23, 24 minutes some nights and looked legit.
  • Axel Andersson (RD) - 2nd round pick last year is like a more offensive Vaakanainen. He had an excellent training camp and looked poised, mobile and smart.

Goaltending
  • Kyle Keyser - looked like he was going to be Team USA's starter before he got sick. Arguably the best goalie in the OHL, maybe the CHL according to Dom-OHL who scouts that league.
  • Jeremy Swayman - had a dominant freshman season for UMaine last year and has put up similar numbers to Cayden Primeau.
Wingers
  • Anders Bjork - Fast, creative, determined two way player, loves to carry the puck through the neutral zone and dish. He's a little light and he hasn't found his scoring touch in the NHL but I think he's going to be a good player when he puts it together.
  • Peter Cehlarik - Big, strong, two way playmaker. Should be in the NHL, but B's are deep on the left side.
  • Zach Senyshyn - B's drafted him knowing he'd be a project. Ottawa native is big, strong and has high-end speed and net drive. Developing slowly but surely and if patient, could be a good middle6 winger who plays an Erik Cole style game.
  • Oskar Steen - Pesky Swede is small but feisty and has been a regular in the SHL since he was 17. Is 20 now and having a good season.
  • Ryan Fitzgerald - Also small/feisty and developing well, former teammates with Colin White leads Providence Bruins in scoring.
Centers
  • Forsbacka-Karlsson - Smart two-way center playing in the NHL now and getting better every week.
  • Jack Studnicka - Smart, two-way center, just played on Canada's WJC. Good size, skating and playmaking ability.
  • Trent Frederic- Smart, two-way center with size and skating. Plays with some nasty and is more of a shoot-first type.
  • Pavel Shen - Smart two-way center (are you sensing a theme?) with a lot of poise and a good passing game. Played very well in recent WJC.
Would any of those assets be of interest to Ottawa's rebuild?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That is bad business

He should trade for best assets in return

Ok so why dont you offer some worthwhile assets that arent trending busts for a top 10 winger at 26 years old. Oh yeah and also take one of the best third line centers in hockey who has a nack for raising his game in the playoffs too. Sure want White and Chabot while youre at it?

Defence
  • Urho Vaakanainen (LD) - led all of Finland's defense in ice time on their gold medal run. Super smart, poised and smooth. Not much offense there but looked like an NHL vet when called up this year.
  • Jeremy Lauzon (L/R D) - Is a left shot but plays the right a lot. Plays with jam/moxie and has an offensive dimension too. Is NHL ready right now. When the B's were without Chara and McAvoy he played 21, 23, 24 minutes some nights and looked legit.
  • Axel Andersson (RD) - 2nd round pick last year is like a more offensive Vaakanainen. He had an excellent training camp and looked poised, mobile and smart.

Goaltending
  • Kyle Keyser - looked like he was going to be Team USA's starter before he got sick. Arguably the best goalie in the OHL, maybe the CHL according to Dom-OHL who scouts that league.
  • Jeremy Swayman - had a dominant freshman season for UMaine last year and has put up similar numbers to Cayden Primeau.
Wingers
  • Anders Bjork - Fast, creative, determined two way player, loves to carry the puck through the neutral zone and dish. He's a little light and he hasn't found his scoring touch in the NHL but I think he's going to be a good player when he puts it together.
  • Peter Cehlarik - Big, strong, two way playmaker. Should be in the NHL, but B's are deep on the left side.
  • Zach Senyshyn - B's drafted him knowing he'd be a project. Ottawa native is big, strong and has high-end speed and net drive. Developing slowly but surely and if patient, could be a good middle6 winger who plays an Erik Cole style game.
  • Oskar Steen - Pesky Swede is small but feisty and has been a regular in the SHL since he was 17. Is 20 now and having a good season.
  • Ryan Fitzgerald - Also small/feisty and developing well, former teammates with Colin White leads Providence Bruins in scoring.
Centers
  • Forsbacka-Karlsson - Smart two-way center playing in the NHL now and getting better every week.
  • Jack Studnicka - Smart, two-way center, just played on Canada's WJC. Good size, skating and playmaking ability.
  • Trent Frederic- Smart, two-way center with size and skating. Plays with some nasty and is more of a shoot-first type.
  • Pavel Shen - Smart two-way center (are you sensing a theme?) with a lot of poise and a good passing game. Played very well in recent WJC.

If Donato, Carlo or Debrusk arent involved when you are asking for Mark Stone + I have no interest.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Defence

Goaltending
Wingers
Centers

Probably everyone not named Cehlarik and Shen.

I know the Sens/Dorion really liked Senyshyn at the draft, some people thought he'd be a candidate at 18 for Ottawa that year, happy the way it turned out though.

Personally I'd love to see Bjork and Lauzon in Sens colors, but it would probably take Stone or Duchene for those types of pieces and I'm not convinced Dorion will be open to moving them within the division.

Reactions: PlayMakers

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

LW
C
RW
LD
RD
G

Everything, literately everything. In no order: Top 6, bottom 6, Defence, goaltending, prospects picks ect.

Sorry, realized i was late to the party with this

Reactions: PlayMakers

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ok so why dont you offer some worthwhile assets that arent trending busts for a top 10 winger at 26 years old. Oh yeah and also take one of the best third line centers in hockey who has a nack for raising his game in the playoffs too. Sure want White and Chabot while youre at it?

If Donato, Carlo or Debrusk arent involved when you are asking for Mark Stone + I have no interest.

Worthwhile for soon to be ufa plus a player coming back from AH injury?

There are risks for the Bruins or any club actually

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Bc you dont know these prospects

really? zboril has done nothing and its been 3 + years since he's been drafted. sensyhin is a bust, and the other 2 are nobodies. sens can easily get a a 1st + good prospect for stone and definitely a 2nd++ for pageau. I'm sure they'd love that compared to players that can't even crack an nhl roster 3 and a half years after they get drafted (or even do well in the ahl). :laugh:

maybe the issue is you don't know the prospects.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
really? zboril has done nothing and its been 3 + years since he's been drafted. sensyhin is a bust, and the other 2 are nobodies. sens can easily get a a 1st + good prospect for stone and definitely a 2nd++ for pageau. I'm sure they'd love that compared to players that can't even crack an nhl roster 3 and a half years after they get drafted (or even do well in the ahl). :laugh:

maybe the issue is you don't know the prospects.

See you dont know anything

Bruins r deep unlike the sens. Thats they are down in the ahl

They would all get mins on sens

Senyshyn has almost the same # of goals so far as last season down at ahl. Zboril is stuck behind vet depth

Bruins can add a few 2nds sure

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

LW
C
RW
LD
RD
G
Coach
GM
Owner

I think the bolded are our most pertinent needs.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Probably everyone not named Cehlarik and Shen.

I know the Sens/Dorion really liked Senyshyn at the draft, some people thought he'd be a candidate at 18 for Ottawa that year, happy the way it turned out though.

Personally I'd love to see Bjork and Lauzon in Sens colors, but it would probably take Stone or Duchene for those types of pieces and I'm not convinced Dorion will be open to moving them within the division.

Well, fwiw I would do that deal. It's painful to let go of young, promising players but I think Stone would be worth it, even if he leaves. He'd be a great fit with DeBrusk and Krejci.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site

a more realistic trade for Stone

bruins trade: 1st, Vaak, keyser, heinen (prospect heavy return) - and probably doesnt cut it and can be matched for 15 other playoff teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad