Ottawa Senators considering moving AHL affiliate to Belleville, Ontario for 17-18

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Actually, it would be a pretty stupid move. As an Erie Otters (OHL) fan, we saw Belleville move their OHL franchise because of attendance problems and arena upgrade problems. The Yardman barely holds 4,000. Binghamton holds over 5,000 and has a solid fan base. The distance issue isn't much of an issue. Canadians generally support OHL hockey better than minor pro hockey. You will never see a Connor McDavid play in the AHL. The ticket prices are higher in the AHL. It makes no sense at all.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Where is ottawa going to get an AHL license? Force Binghamton to sell like Anaheim did with Norfolk?

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
Belleville is a beautiful town and that arena is really nice, I was there to see the Bulls play a couple of years ago. I would love to see something like the AHL go in there and thrive, but it feels like a small farm town, and while I love the idea of small towns with small arenas having high level pro hockey, I'm afraid those days are gone under the current model. However, if we are moving to a more baseball-esque minor league model where the parent team foots the bill, an AHL team in Belleville is a neat idea.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Belleville is a beautiful town and that arena is really nice, I was there to see the Bulls play a couple of years ago. I would love to see something like the AHL go in there and thrive, but it feels like a small farm town, and while I love the idea of small towns with small arenas having high level pro hockey, I'm afraid those days are gone under the current model. However, if we are moving to a more baseball-esque minor league model where the parent team foots the bill, an AHL team in Belleville is a neat idea.

While yes its a small town but and this is key 9 million live with in a 4 hour drive.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Why not St. John's when the Habs agreement expires?

St Johns is so far from the rest of its division it hampers development of any prospects. They have 10 to 14 day road trips.... Not exactly normal for Ahl teams....

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
St Johns is so far from the rest of its division it hampers development of any prospects. They have 10 to 14 day road trips.... Not exactly normal for Ahl teams....

And yet that hasn't stopped us from getting teams.Yet the Jets and Habs and other rosters are full of players who played for the IceCaps.Playing in St.John's actually has advantages(good crowds,actual road trips,a Canadian market that actually has interest in the AHL).A Utica fan should understand since they sell out and are far away from their parent club.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
And yet that hasn't stopped us from getting teams.Yet the Jets and Habs and other rosters are full of players who played for the IceCaps.Playing in St.John's actually has advantages(good crowds,actual road trips,a Canadian market that actually has interest in the AHL).A Utica fan should understand since they sell out and are far away from their parent club.
It is an amazing market!!

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
People aren't going to drive for hours in the winter to see an AHL game. People in the GTA can go see their own team locally. People in Ottawa may drive down once a year but that's too far to go regularly when you can see the Sens, 67s or Olympiques right in town. The AHL team will have to draw from a mostly local audience.

The AHL seems to be interested in larger cities, not smaller ones.

I'd love to see the Bulls return but I don't see the AHL in Belleville as realistic.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
People aren't going to drive for hours in the winter to see an AHL game. People in the GTA can go see their own team locally. People in Ottawa may drive down once a year but that's too far to go regularly when you can see the Sens, 67s or Olympiques right in town. The AHL team will have to draw from a mostly local audience.

The AHL seems to be interested in larger cities, not smaller ones.

I'd love to see the Bulls return but I don't see the AHL in Belleville as realistic.

Belleville is not 4 hours from Toronto its about 2.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
I really hope the ahl gets support if a team does come Belleville I live in GTA and I go to Toronto Marlies games I go to Brampton Beast games even great for my kids they love it me and my family take the drive to Belleville to see the baby Sens.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
They need some kind of team to play out of Yardmen Arena the Bulls should have never left to begin with. So if the Senators want to there affiliate to Belleville they will have support.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00