Ottawa Senators considering moving AHL affiliate to Belleville, Ontario for 17-18

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
http://www.intelligencer.ca/2016/04/25/ottawa-senators-ahl-team-for-belleville

The Senators may be studying the possibility of bringing their American Hockey League affiliate closer to home.

While the Senators have an agreement to keep their AHL team in Binghamton through 2018-19 and they’d be happy to stay there, the talk in AHL circles is the club is investigating relocating the franchise to the Yardman Arena in Bellevile for the 2017-18 campaign.

If that happens, the belief is the Senators would try not to leave Binghamton empty-handed because the AHL considers it a strong market. It’s quite possible another NHL team could move its affiliate to Binghamton if the Senators are successful in negotiations with the city of Belleville and a potential buyer.

More info is in the article linked above.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
"The biggest stumbling block to get a deal in place would be Belleville city council’s approval of millions of dollars in renovations to the arena."

Right now the biggest stumbling block is Ottawa doesn't own an AHL franchise...

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Makes you wonder if the Sens want out of Binghamton ASAP--especially considering many NHL teams are working to move their affiliates closer to cut costs. Look what happened to Springfield!

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
"The biggest stumbling block to get a deal in place would be Belleville city council’s approval of millions of dollars in renovations to the arena."

I could see a deal where Ottawa buys the rink from the city for a $1.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Isn't this why the Bulls moved? Would they turn around and do this for the AHL?

Definitely hope Bingo doesn't lose the team. Between them, Manchester, Worecester, and Springfield, three markets that should have AHL hockey. But times change.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Isn't this why the Bulls moved? Would they turn around and do this for the AHL?

Definitely hope Bingo doesn't lose the team. Between them, Manchester, Worecester, and Springfield, three markets that should have AHL hockey. But times change.

My guess is all will be in the ECHL.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
My guess is all will be in the ECHL.

I agree. I find it bizarre the league says strong market. Its a 4,000 and some change arena. The team isn't good that often and when it's not it doesn't draw amazingly. They are heading towards bigger arenas and markets. I'm not sure the move would be so bad if there were some former foes joining them.

Aren't they locally owned though? So I guess they'd have to force a sale.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
I find it bizarre the league says strong market. Its a 4,000 and some change arena. The team isn't good that often and when it's not it doesn't draw amazingly. They are heading towards bigger arenas and markets.
Doesn't draw amazingly? They're close to capacity most of the time.
Heading towards bigger markets? How does moving from Binghamton (metro pop. 250,000, arena cap. 4000 ) to Belleville (metro pop. 90,000, arena cap. 3,200) fit that model?

tenpinsplit

Nov 9, 2005
Binghamton
I agree. I find it bizarre the league says strong market. Its a 4,000 and some change arena. The team isn't good that often and when it's not it doesn't draw amazingly. They are heading towards bigger arenas and markets. I'm not sure the move would be so bad if there were some former foes joining them.

Aren't they locally owned though? So I guess they'd have to force a sale.

the team isn't good because Ottawa sucks. it has nothing to do with the location.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Doesn't draw amazingly? They're close to capacity most of the time.
Heading towards bigger markets? How does moving from Binghamton (metro pop. 250,000, arena cap. 4000 ) to Belleville (metro pop. 90,000, arena cap. 3,200) fit that model?

I wasn't talking that move because it hasn't happened. I'm talking about all of the recent moves that have occurred. Like in California for example. Left smaller markets for bigger ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad