GDT: ottawa senators at florida panthers - 7pm - tsn5/rds- two lower case tkachuks edition

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So, the first goal was actually a deflection off Sanderson's stick and changed its trajectory significantly, it was originally going low glove side but ended up top corner,

I give Korpisalo a lot of grief but that one wasn't on him, a shot from 10 feet out that gets deflected 8 out, feet out is a tough save to make, I guess he could come out a bit more knowing it's ekblad and not a forward that will dangle on you, but I can live with that goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, but we shouldn't need to be perfect, Florida was far from perfect, the difference is Bob erases their mistakes so nobody complains about 5 or 6 odd man rushes multiple breakaways and giveays to an uncontested shooter in the slot.
It got them to the SCF. Just look at how bad they were protecting the front of the net in that playoff run and eventual loss to Vegas. But the expectation from some is the Sens need to play perfect defensive hockey otherwise they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hunh? Best team in the league, who they got smoked by and had a bunch of fights last game? In a loud building. If there's a game to get up for its this one. They did and they responded, I'm glad. Even with their goalie letting in the first shot of the game.

What I'm very happy to finally see is a coaching staff that shortens its bench based on merit. Who treats all players equally. If you aren't playing well you don't play. FINALLY. That is how you build a winning culture. That is accountability. I think when you see them bench players like Norris and Chabot you'll see what these guys are made of. Chabot responded which is massive. If guys sulk then you probably don't want them. Easy way to find out who to keep and who to move on from. This isn't D.J smith's fun house anymore. Next step bench Kubalik, move Brannstrom to lw and put in Hamonic. Someone else stinks they sit next.

Norris continues to play like a p***y willow move him to the 4th line. Give Kastelic some minutes he's going right now. It will be infectious.
I agree with most of this. I think it may be hard for some generally disappointed fans to get up for a game vs Florida that gets circled as a loss but I think it has the opposite effect on the players. They have pride and they get up for it when they face the top teams because they know they will have their asses handed to them if they don't.

They have given Norris every opportunity playing up the lineup with our best wingers and he did not contribute. Its not about a scoring dry spell. Its all about his compete level, willingness to engage and his determination to support and win puck battles. He has deserved to be demoted and have his ice cut for a while.

At this point I think they should waive Kubalik ; We have no roster flexibility to that would get him off the roster and free up over 1m in cap space.
He has no place on the roster where he can be effective. We have better 4th liner types in Belleville including MacEwen.

Hamonic .. I love his heart but he is pretty done. No rush for him to come back in.

I thought last night's game was really entertaining.. A battle from the start. No way we see the Sens hang in giving up one in the first 20 seconds, battling back to level the game and giving up the next one. I believe this team has learned some valuable lessons since JM has taken over and that resiliency is part of it. Roster evaluations are also taking place. Dorion and DJ should both have been gone at the end of 21/22.. More harm than good done over that time.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Dorion and DJ should both have been gone at the end of 21/22.. More harm than good done over that time.

I mean, I think most of us felt like that would've been a good move, but I do appreciate the reality that we were in the middle of a sale and it would be silly to do it twice if the new owners came in with a specific management plan. I do also understand them, having come in so late, wanting to wait and see, with how close the start of the season was. Yes, it would've been nicer to have the trigger pulled sooner, but I do understand the causes why it wasn't.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
everyone blaming Korpisalo but what were Brady and Chabot doing on that play?

Brady just idk, and Chabot does not cover the pass at all, his stick is in the the wrong direction! other player is sitting for a tap in. If Korpisalo doesn't cheat they get an empty net on the other side. same result.

it was basically a 2-0 that started from the hashmark's f***ing wild.

these guys don't want it bad enough.

Reactions: LiseL

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

3 florida panthers not one covered or being challenged.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-21 093329.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 093329.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
View attachment 823266

That's a still-shot on an overtime swing, you can't play that man to man

OT is always going to be those types of plays, you can't cover or challenge guys like that 3-3 in your zone, or anywhere

As soon as that swing happens, coverage is blown, and it's no fault of the forwards for being beat. That's the way 3-3 works for better or for worse

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Chabot is trying to cover the pass across because both Tkachuk and Pinto are late.

I'm not swinging at Korpisalo for being awful this game. In a vacuum you win some, you lose some. But we know the greater context of our goaltending this year so it's hard to completely ignore it.

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
how do you think it happened? a breakdown by Brady and Chabot responding by taking away the passing lane to.... Pinto.

There was a Panther player uncovered at the front of the net. Chabot positions himself to force a bad angle shot from the puck carrier while still attempting to prevent the pass. He prevents the pass to the man in front of the net and forces the bad angle shot.

I'm not getting your angle here. Chabot played that well. He played a 2 on 1 well. The goalie let in a questionable goal which is a theme all season long for this team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Brady just idk, and Chabot does not cover the pass at all, his stick is in the the wrong direction! other player is sitting for a tap in. If Korpisalo doesn't cheat they get an empty net on the other side. same result.

Huh?

Brady was covering Matt Tkachuk, who passed off to Lundell and threw a pick on Brady giving Lundell a step to get around him, Pinto was rotating to cover Matt and Brady was trying to pick up Lundell if not for the pick. Chabot saw the pick and moved into place to prevent Lundell from having a clear path to the net, keeping him to the outside while trying to take away the two pass options with M Tkachuk in the slot all alone and Montour in front of the net, Pinto was tried to pick up Montour leaving M.Tkachuk alone, albeit too late, neither played it particularly poorly, it was just a well executed pick play by Florida that should have resulted in a nothing shot if not for Korpisalo. Lundell would have had to pass the puck through Chabot's body and within the range of Korpisalo cuting off the pass to get it across, possible but by no means a guarantee.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
There was a Panther player uncovered at the front of the net. Chabot positions himself to force a bad angle shot from the puck carrier and he prevents the pass to the man in front of the net.

I'm not getting your angle here. Chabot played that well. The goalie let in a questionable goal which is a theme all season long for this team.

the pass to the florida player in front of the net is wide open. chabot is not covering it at all and probably the reason why Korpisalo cheated so hard. cuz that guy has a tap in if Lundell makes that easy pass, stick isn't blocking it, and his skates aren't blocking it.

Lundell simply outwaited Korpisalo on a play that was basically a 2-0 with a great shot.

Huh?

Brady was covering Matt Tkachuk, who passed off to Lundell and threw a pick on Brady giving Lundell a step to get around him, Pinto was rotating to cover Matt and Brady was trying to pick up Lundell if not for the pick. Chabot saw the pick and moved into place to prevent Lundell from having a clear path to the net, keeping him to the outside while trying to take away the two pass options with M Tkachuk in the slot all alone and Montour in front of the net, Pinto was tried to pick up Montour leaving M.Tkachuk alone, albeit too late, neither played it particularly poorly, it was just a well executed pick play by Florida that should have resulted in a nothing shot if not for Korpisalo. Lundell would have had to pass the puck through Chabot's body and within the range of Korpisalo cuting off the pass to get it across, possible but by no means a guarantee.

so much mental gymnastics to justify the incredible defensive play that left 3 florida panthers unchallenged.

• Haha
Reactions: Answer

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
the pass to the florida player in front of the net is wide open. chabot is not covering it at all and probably the reason why Korpisalo cheated so hard. cuz that guy has a tap in if Lundell makes that easy pass.

Lundell simply outwaited Korpisalo on a play that was basically a 2-0 with a great shot.

If the guy in front of the net was wide open why wouldn't the pass be made there if Chabot is not blocking the lane?

Chabot is blocking the passing lane outside of the crease area. If the Panthers player attempts to pass it where Chabot has left it open - Korpisalo would just reach out and smother it before it reaches the guy in front of the net.

Chabot forces a bad angle shot on that play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
the pass to the florida player in front of the net is wide open. chabot is not covering it at all and probably the reason why Korpisalo cheated so hard. cuz that guy has a tap in if Lundell makes that easy pass, stick isn't blocking it, and his skates aren't blocking it.

so much mental gymnastics to justify the incredible defensive play that left 3 florida panthers unchallenged.
Ya might need to look in the mirror there bud. one of you're more questionalble takes, and that's saying a lot

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You're looking for something that just flat out isn't there. They played the 3 on 3 exactly as they should and dude roofed it with too big of a hole available.

why do you think the hole was there? because Korpisalo cheated because there was an easy pass to a panthers player on the doorstep.

If Korpisalo doesn't cheat and hugs the post like so many of you guys are saying there's a wide open player for a tap in. like you can see it in all the angles.

any NHL player would have been able to make that pass, because Chabot is busy covering the pass to Pinto.

Ya might need to look in the mirror there bud. one of you're more questionalble takes, and that's saying a lot

how do you guys not see it?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
why do you think the hole was there? because Korpisalo cheated because there was an easy pass to a panthers player on the doorstep.

If Korpisalo doesn't cheat and hugs the post like so many of you guys are saying there's a wide open player for a tap in. like you can see it in all the angles.

any NHL player would have been able to make that pass, because Chabot is busy covering the pass to Pinto.
No, they angled him off just as any 3 on 3 defender would. If Korpisalo lets that in, there's not much else you can do on that play. It's all about playing angles and he had no pass available. As pointed out, you freeze framed one shot to pinpoint your 2 whipping boys, but when you watch the video, it's clear.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Because if he tries to thread that pass, Chabot extends the leg, and Korpisalo stick checks it, that's not as open a lane and you think it is, hockey doesn't happen in freeze frames and guy react when you try to make a pass

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Easy pass block for Korpisalo there. Or as pointed out by Mick, possibly a leg extension from Chabot.

But again, a freeze frame is just not telling the full story.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He scored from the goal line. Lol what are you talking about.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Because if he tries to thread that pass, Chabot extends the leg, and Korpisalo stick checks it, that's not as open a lane and you think it is, hockey doesn't happen in freeze frames and guy react when you try to make a pass

it takes like .5 seconds to release a pass no way chabot is able to extend his legs from the position he was in, he would have to be jello man. and even if he did he still would not have been able to block it, the lane is massive.

anyway if you guys can't see that pass or think it wasn't there no way im gonna win this argument lol

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
it takes like .5 seconds to release a pass no way chabot is able to extend his legs from the position he was in, he would have to be jello man. and even if he did he still would not have been able to block it, the lane is massive.

anyway if you guys can't see that pass or think it wasn't there no way im gonna win this argument lol

If this pass was so easy, why isn't the Panther player making it? It's a free goal because he'll get one shot and then likely multiple rebound attempts vs. trying to hit the top shelf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad