GDT: ottawa senators at florida panthers - 7pm - tsn5/rds- two lower case tkachuks edition

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jamie McLennan seems to have a rosy view of the Senators play; Mike Johnson seems to tell it like it really is. Cheryl Pounder tells it like it is too.

Both Mike and Cheryl seem like the type who would make good coaches.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

look at how he roofed that thing.... look at how Korpisalo drops down and leaves the upper part of the net open

suckiest

Wikipedia
https://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › suckiest

Adjective edit. suckiest. superlative form of sucky: most sucky.

Gotta play the puck carrier and the shot, not the pass! PRIORITIES!

Maybe they should try the femur lengthening surgery on him

Can they do this for other limbs? Asking for a friend. :)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’m not saying Brady should have done it, in fact it may even be a bad decision, but if my brother were coming around for a drop pass in my lane with his head down like Matthew was on the OT winner I’d light his ass up.

Another decent game from Kasty. Loved his hit on Cousins. Is he turning a corner?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Dude we owned the game. Great effort. This team was hot and at home and we were on a back to back. From the second on I thought ottawa was the better team. Bob made some great saves and we didn’t make the most of every opp.

Chych needs to stay.

I watched this one from a pool hall and these are my thoughts as well not having paid total attention and no PxP etc.

I was impressed as hell that they tied it up in the third and even carried most of the play in the game's latter half.

Good ass game. I realllllly wish we had won at least one of the two games against Chicago or Anaheim and things would be looking wayyy up.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We spent most of OT chasing them around.
Yeah, once we lost that opening draw I immediately thought, "Ruh roh." We didn't have a lot of gas left in the tank, and it showed in OT. A highly skilled player from the Panthers made a highly skilled play to win it for them - that's what three on three is. I wish we had won it, obviously, but the effort to get it there was the most important part.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
O.T goal was horrible. First goal all he had to do was push out to be square. He stinks. He will make some saves but he let's in atleast one bad one a game. That's not NHL.
At least the first goal was from a scoring location, I can live with those going in from time to time, the OT goal was just him coming off the post and allowing a goal from an otherwise impossible angle.

Some people complain about our defense, but how many two on ones and breakaways did Fla give up and they're a top team in the league, we aren't the only team that has breakdowns, but we are the only team that is giving up these brutal softies every game.

There are other problems with the team, our commitment to playing the right way is still inconsistent, but the goaltending is just insurmountable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, once we lost that opening draw I immediately thought, "Ruh roh." We didn't have a lot of gas left in the tank, and it showed in OT. A highly skilled player from the Panthers made a highly skilled play to win it for them - that's what three on three is. I wish we had won it, obviously, but the effort to get it there was the most important part.

Well it was funny because you could see Giroux shaking his head.

That opening face-off is always big.

3 on 3 is pretty much a coin flip so I can't fault their overall game too much. Would have been nice to see that resiliency rewarded.

It’s hard to get up emotionally for a team like Florida so I was pleased to see them stick with it.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Wasn't he actually pretty solid this game? Only saw the highlights but he stopped a lot of ones I would've ordinarily expected to go in on him.
He played well enough throughout the game. I don't blame him as much as others will no doubt for the first goal. Ekblad got the puck in a really dangerous scoring position and made a good shot.

The OT goal was a bit of a stinker though. Korpse came off his post and the shot went over his shoulder.

It was a pretty good game I'd say. They held their own versus Florida, who is a good team and a contender in the Eastern Conference no doubt. They pushed back to tie the game up and were playing Martin's structured defensive game once again.

They have two games on the road now against top Western Conference teams. This will be a big litmus test for them. Two good games in a row though against Florida based conference teams.

Reactions: EdSoxFan

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He played well enough throughout the game. I don't blame him as much as others will no doubt for the first goal. Ekblad got the puck in a really dangerous scoring position and made a good shot.

The OT goal was a bit of a stinker though. Korpse came off his post and the shot went over his shoulder.

It was a pretty good game I'd say. They held their own versus Florida, who is a good team and a contender in the Eastern Conference no doubt. They pushed back to tie the game up and were playing Martin's structured defensive game once again.

They have two games on the road now against top Western Conference teams. This will be a big litmus test for them. Two good games in a row though against Florida based conference teams.
So, the first goal was actually a deflection off Sanderson's stick and changed its trajectory significantly, it was originally going low glove side but ended up top corner,

I give Korpisalo a lot of grief but that one wasn't on him, a shot from 10 feet out that gets deflected 8 out, feet out is a tough save to make, I guess he could come out a bit more knowing it's ekblad and not a forward that will dangle on you, but I can live with that goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, but we shouldn't need to be perfect, Florida was far from perfect, the difference is Bob erases their mistakes so nobody complains about 5 or 6 odd man rushes multiple breakaways and giveays to an uncontested shooter in the slot.

Reactions: Emrasie

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well it was funny because you could see Giroux shaking his head.

That opening face-off is always big.

3 on 3 is pretty much a coin flip so I can't fault their overall game too much. Would have been nice to see that resiliency rewarded.

It’s hard to get up emotionally for a team like Florida so I was pleased to see them stick with it
Hunh? Best team in the league, who they got smoked by and had a bunch of fights last game? In a loud building. If there's a game to get up for its this one. They did and they responded, I'm glad. Even with their goalie letting in the first shot of the game.

What I'm very happy to finally see is a coaching staff that shortens its bench based on merit. Who treats all players equally. If you aren't playing well you don't play. FINALLY. That is how you build a winning culture. That is accountability. I think when you see them bench players like Norris and Chabot you'll see what these guys are made of. Chabot responded which is massive. If guys sulk then you probably don't want them. Easy way to find out who to keep and who to move on from. This isn't D.J smith's fun house anymore. Next step bench Kubalik, move Brannstrom to lw and put in Hamonic. Someone else stinks they sit next.

Norris continues to play like a p***y willow move him to the 4th line. Give Kastelic some minutes he's going right now. It will be infectious.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So, the first goal was actually a deflection off Sanderson's stick and changed its trajectory significantly, it was originally going low glove side but ended up top corner,

I give Korpisalo a lot of grief but that one wasn't on him, a shot from 10 feet out that gets deflected 8 out, feet out is a tough save to make, I guess he could come out a bit more knowing it's ekblad and not a forward that will dangle on you, but I can live with that goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, but we shouldn't need to be perfect, Florida was far from perfect, the difference is Bob erases their mistakes so nobody complains about 5 or 6 odd man rushes multiple breakaways and giveays to an uncontested shooter in the slot.
I didn't notice the deflection I'd still like him to find a way to make a save on the first shot. Looked to me that he didn't challenge enough and it went right by him... oh well.

Florida did not play well by their standards. They're the best team in the NHL top to bottom. Was a bit of a trap game for them, Bob is so good though he keeps them in it when they aren't going 100 %. I was at the game last Saturday against Colorado. When they are going they're almost unbeatable. They were up for that one they had 38 shots for in 2 periods. They then demolished Pittsburgh and Tampa on the road later that week.

I am not trying to take away from the sens because they played a very very good team really well on a back to back but Fla can be much better.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
.Next step bench Kubalik, move Brannstrom to lw and put in Hamonic. Someone else stinks they sit next.
What??? Why?

The team played two excellent road games in a row with Hamonic in the pressbox and stunk in games where they took out either of JBD or Brannstrom to get Hamonic in,

We already know Hamonic stinks, there's no next, he is a 7th Dman at this stage of his career and that alright.

I mean, if it's solely because you want Kubalik bench, I can understand, but just waive the guy at this point, send him to Belleville where I'm sure he'll light it up

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hunh? Best team in the league, who they got smoked by and had a bunch of fights last game? In a loud building. If there's a game to get up for its this one. They did and they responded, I'm glad. Even with their goalie letting in the first shot of the game.

What I'm very happy to finally see is a coaching staff that shortens its bench based on merit. Who treats all players equally. If you aren't playing well you don't play. FINALLY. That is how you build a winning culture. That is accountability. I think when you see them bench players like Norris and Chabot you'll see what these guys are made of. Chabot responded which is massive. If guys sulk then you probably don't want them. Easy way to find out who to keep and who to move on from. This isn't D.J smith's fun house anymore. Next step bench Kubalik, move Brannstrom to lw and put in Hamonic. Someone else stinks they sit next.

Norris continues to play like a p***y willow move him to the 4th line. Give Kastelic some minutes he's going right now. It will be infectious.

It’s still Florida.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Next step bench Kubalik, move Brannstrom to lw and put in Hamonic. Someone else stinks they sit next.

What??? Why?

The team played two excellent road games in a row with Hamonic in the pressbox and stunk in games where they took out either of JBD or Brannstrom to get Hamonic in,

We already know Hamonic stinks, there's no next, he is a 7th Dman at this stage of his career and that alright.

I mean, if it's solely because you want Kubalik bench, I can understand, but just waive the guy at this point, send him to Belleville where I'm sure he'll light it up

Agreed Mick come on @bert what the hell take it back! Hammer plays as well as MC Hammer's relevance these days.

Good come back by the team, failed by Korpisucko again. TBH, I don't blame Korpi for the first one when the team infront of him wasn't ready for the shift, even the second one was a couple of giveaways later (by Pinto of all people)...but that OT goal was vintage Korpisalo. He is like that nail on the street in a neighbourhood still under construction - you know you will get it in your tires but cannot avoid it in your commute. Awful feeling - hope he finds some consistency that has been elusive for him.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't notice the deflection I'd still like him to find a way to make a save on the first shot. Looked to me that he didn't challenge enough and it went right by him... oh well.

Florida did not play well by their standards. They're the best team in the NHL top to bottom. Was a bit of a trap game for them, Bob is so good though he keeps them in it when they aren't going 100 %. I was at the game last Saturday against Colorado. When they are going they're almost unbeatable. They were up for that one they had 38 shots for in 2 periods. They then demolished Pittsburgh and Tampa on the road later that week.

I am not trying to take away from the sens because they played a very very good team really well on a back to back but Fla can be much better.
I didn't see the deflection either until they mentioned it on the radio and I went back to watch it, you can only see it on one angle, but once you do it's a pretty significant deflection.

I think if he came out and challenged more it might have been an easier save, but Ekblad could have cut across, he had a lot of open ice to make a play, tough situation,

Wrt whether Florida played well to their standards or not, it's a bit of a chicken or egg situation, We were aggressive in the NZ at taking away their speed and capitalizing on turn overs, they were playing a high pace game, and the effort was there, could they have played better, sure, but I don't think it was a bad game by them, though they did have that 10 min stretch without a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad