GDT: Ottawa Senators at Chicago Blackhawks - 3PM - TSN5/TVAS - The Dynamic Zuo™ Return Edition

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It really sucks because we could have kinda re-entered the playoff race had we beat the Ducks and the 'Hawks, but once again the team disappoints us again. I feel for Giroux. He deserves better.
Nah even if we beat the Ducks and Hawks we were not going to make the playoffs you cannot have the start we had and make the playoffs. Right now the best thing for this franchise is to sell at the deadline and try to finish as low as possible so we can pick maybe in the top 3 crossed fingers!!

Reactions: SanderSen

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
One thing i don't understand, many times in this game (an others) i saw a Dman in a rush against tell a forward to take a Chicago player and the guy doesn't, so the Blackhawks player is alone, why? A IQ things? A "i doesn't care what you tell me" thing?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
As soon as they start having any bit of success through hard work and structure, these guys revert back to pond hockey.

Been happening for years. No ability to consistently play an NHL game over an extended period.

Knew it was coming watching the CBJ game.

This says more about the Current Coaching Staff, than it does about the players.

here are some of J Martins’ post game comments

"I thought we had some really good opportunities in the third period where we could have scored……….They made some big saves, one shot missed the net and that was the big difference in the game.…….I thought Tim gave us a strong game. He was skating hard, he shot the puck, I thought he was one of our better players tonight."

I try to imagine what John Tortorella, would have said, if he were the Coach…….

Is it that much better

No, and it is going to only get worse this week, if they continue to play this way, and Coach keeps his kid gloves on.

1708262321702.png

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For as much as I want to see Staios start making moves (like, say, waiving Korpisalo and telling him to pack his $#!^ and get out of town) I think it is pretty clear that Staios is a guy who is going to be very patient and deliberate. This year is cooked, and rash moves just make things worse. Ride it out, sell off what you can at the deadline, and then reassess where you are in the Spring heading into the draft. We are getting some cap space back from the end of some of Dorion's bad signings and buyouts, so we will have at least some flexibility. As the smoke clears, though, the wreckage of what Dorion left behind is becoming more apparent, and it isn't pretty.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
After the faltering way they won against Columbus, I've decided that I'm just going to skip watching their games against non-playoff teams. There's no upside -- a win is unimpressive, a loss is hard on the eyes but at least improves our draft prospects.

This week will be a fun one to watch, win trumphantly, win clumsily, lose heroically, or just plain get pantsed.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So...are we buyers or sellers? ;)

We do not have a core to win in this league going forward.

Our most consistent and possibly best forward is 36 years old.

We need to move out a couple of these princesses.

Colorado had some lean seasons with their unreal core before they broke through despite seeming to have all the right ingredients - size, top C, top Wingers, They missed on top 10 pickTyson Jost and Martin Kaut at #16. Their rebuild took a lot of turns and dips

The big difference maker there was the arrival of Makar. When he arrived the entire program changed.

Ottawa needs to make some trades - but they need a difference maker. Someone who helps bring the entire team together.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Chabot is not Jason spezza

Shocking seeing our record when our goaltending is 900 or above.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
These losses are probably good for the team.

Everyone was being way too positive around this team for how bad they've been this year.

We were second last in the conference well into February, and we had most posters talking what streaks we need to go on to make the playoffs.

It needs to be made quite obvious that we're nowhere close to a good team, and a lot of work needs to be done.

Let's just hope we don't suck next year.

Maybe aim for 20th in the league next year?

Reactions: LiseL

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm convinced injuries have played a role. Norris and Batherson were not playing like that prior to their injuries. The $8M + $6M question though is whether they can ever get back to playing like they used to.

Even when they were playing better, they were still minus players and not leading anyone to the playoffs...

It's sad that we're just hoping they can get back to a level which still isn't good enough lol.

It really sucks because we could have kinda re-entered the playoff race had we beat the Ducks and the 'Hawks, but once again the team disappoints us again. I feel for Giroux. He deserves better.

The joke was on the people that thought they could get back into a playoff picture.

This team always does well when pressure is gone, and folds when pressure ramps up.

Why did you or anyone else think it would be any different?

We should learn from our mistakes not to be fooled again.

What's that saying "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me"

It's up to us to learn not to take a little winning streak seriously with this team.

Like I've said many times, wait til they clinch a playoff spot to get excited. Or else you'll just end up in disappointment.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Horrible game. No one went for rebounds or to the danger areas. Let an AHL team get to the middle of the ice. These losers think they're good. It's so sad, scored 2 nice goals. Thought they were an all star team.. NEWS FLASH YOURE LAST.
I missed the game aside from about 10 mins to end the first, but it is striking how different the opinions are here compared to the tone of Martin and the players post game comments.

Perhaps Jacques is just trying to keep things positive in the room, knowing since ~Dec that your team is done for the year has to be rough.

It is a bit concerning that the level of play hasn't been as good the last few games, got to get back to the basics of playing winning hockey, we're a lot better when we're playing strong d through the NZ and capitalizing on turnovers, as well as going to the dirty zones and pouncing on rebounds.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Steve and Michael commented after purchasing the team that it was roster that needed work. Clearly they were right.

This bodes well for Steve’s ability to assess the team going forward. Remember that this was at a time when most of us were expecting competing for a playoff spot.

Personally I am open to any and all moves that don't involve moving Brady, Pinto, Greig, Sanderson, Zub, and Stu.

The GM and Owner have always behaved as though this season was a ship
That they weren’t going to be trying to prevent from sinking, it was always this off season and next year that were their target.

Shit season, but I can’t help but stay really interested in what changes happen because we know that guys will be moved and replaced, and we know that and entire new coaching staff will be brought in.

Next off season we’ll start to see what a Staios team looks like. Hope we win the draft lottery, that would be nice :)

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I missed the game aside from about 10 mins to end the first, but it is striking how different the opinions are here compared to the tone of Martin and the players post game comments.

Perhaps Jacques is just trying to keep things positive in the room, knowing since ~Dec that your team is done for the year has to be rough.

It is a bit concerning that the level of play hasn't been as good the last few games, got to get back to the basics of playing winning hockey, we're a lot better when we're playing strong d through the NZ and capitalizing on turnovers, as well as going to the dirty zones and pouncing on rebounds.
With the goaltending we have we need to play flawless hockey, and, well, we didn't.

But "not flawless" doesn't mean "bad" necessarily, and I could see why the players and the coach weren't overly negative about the loss.

After the initial push by Chicago, we mostly took the play to them, and outshot them 2 to 1. Granted, we didn't have too many great scoring opportunities (too much sloppiness when it mattered), but there still was some territorial dominance throughout most of the game.

If you play this game 100 times, we probably win it 60 or 70 times. But against a team like Chicago this should be a minimum, I guess.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That data is from two seasons ago

Well, it's obvious you didn't read my post, I also linked the data from this season, well what is partially available for now

he simply makes too many unforced turnovers and is not good enough offensively for how bad he can be defensively.

also he is weak as hell, prob gonna get bodied in the playoffs.

I would answer to this with the post you quoted

Spezza was underappreciated but it came with merit. He logged a ton of points while he was here and there was a risk vs reward with him. What risk vs reward is there with Chabot? All I see are risks.

What does Chabot bring? I'm sorry but whatever analytics you present doesn't match with the eye test.

I also don't buy the Dorion excuse. Chabots issues are for the most part self inflicted. It isn't Dorions fault that Chabot thinks it's best to hold onto the puck 2 to 3 seconds too late. At some point you gotta learn that that shit doesn't work especially if you're constantly watching tape over and over. In all my years watching Chabot I have seen move at a single pace regardless of circumstances.

I see them the same way, there was/is good and bad with both. For Spezza there was these backdrop passes and all this finesse play, for Chabot, like Karlsson, is being too casual on some plays and not agressive enough. For all the shit that he takes every game, I see him doing a lot more positive plays than not, which is not always the case for everybody (many D-men who have been employed during this Dorion era). Chabot does a lot of nice puck recoveries and clean zone exits, with Sanderson best capable of slowing things down instead of constant panic that we can see with Chychrun for example, or almost every single time with Hamonic

Chabot brings what is written in the post, I'm not going to re-type it.

And the relation with Dorion is a long explanation, something I have done more than enough. Chabot has been on a losing team all his NHL career, he was mostly by himself most years and the time he finally had a partner that could help him, Dorion thought it was better to trade him for a 3rd round pick. Then there's a coaching aspect. It's going to take a while to re-program these player's 2-way game. Look at Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris... they haven't learned to play NHL hockey the right way. There's been some improvements under JM but Rome wasn't built in one day

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not the same card, but this is what JFresh put out when he got hurt;
View attachment 821983
If this isn't the best argument of all time of why advanced stats while useful are useless without context and the eye test. He's awful. Has nothing to do with talent either. It really bugs me we haven't got to see him under a new D coach. At some point he's gotta be held accountable for his laissez-faire attitude and play. It costs the team every game. He just isn't committed to winning.

Reactions: Alex1234

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I try to imagine what John Tortorella, would have said, if he were the Coach…….
But just maybe the Flyers have a better team then we have. And also you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! Meaning if the players are not willing to execute the coach's game plan then it doesn't matter who is coaching the team. At the end of the day it all falls on the players to play the right way.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
But just maybe the Flyers have a better team then we have. And also you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! Meaning if the players are not willing to execute the coach's game plan then it doesn't matter who is coaching the team. At the end of the day it all falls on the players to play the right way

It’s not that a team is better than another……. Chuck Knoblauch took over the Oilers, and it sure looks like his coaching style has made a difference with the same group of players.

DJ Smith was criticised, and rightly so, for not holding all players to the same standards, and never called out players publicly or Sat star players when they deserved it…. And it does not look like much has changed in Ottawa…. For once I would like to see something along the lines of what John Tortorella delivers…. It seems to work in Philadelphia

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, it's obvious you didn't read my post, I also linked the data from this season, well what is partially available for now
Yes I read your and when I read it, there was only data from two years ago.

Wrap your head around this: we need to stop comparing Chabot to other D on our team and start comparing him to D in his salary neighborhood

Idgaf what advanced stats say. Watch the clip where Chicago scored their winning goal while saying to yourself "8 million dollars"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad