TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
He has worked with melnyk before so it's most likely another yes man

But at least we hired someone so that's something

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Actually, after researching this guy a little, he’s the real deal. I’m sort of shocked that he’s on board and a little bit impressed that Melnyk hired him. He couldn’t have been cheap.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hiring someone who has experience in PR as the COO seems very odd to me. This is puzzling. There is no doubt that the team needs improved PR with the first step being advising the owner regarding all future PR including keeping the owner silent.

The team does need a top level executive to run the entire operations and this new hire does not seem to fit that requirement.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have no opinion on this so I'll just evaluate him as he goes. Good luck, good to have some more bodies in the upper management. High up positions at the TOH is no joke so he's got a good background. The former biovail thing makes me cringe a bit.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would have thought a new president would be the next front office move, but this might signal that Melnyk wants to be more hands on for the foreseeable future and retain that role,

Either way, nice to see some roles are being filled.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
New role is encouraging, but if we're on a very shoestring budget I question the prudence of investing in PR rather than scouts and hockey ops. Nothing sells tickets better than winning.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
"Nicolas Ruszkowski had been hired as chief operating officer. His job will be to try to get the organization back on strong financial footing. "
Bruce Garrioch

"Ruszkowski will run day-to-day business operations, but won’t have a say in hockey operations. "
Bruce Garrioch

"It’s not known if Ruskkowski will play a role in negotiations with the National Capital Commission for redevelopment of LeBreton Flats, including construction of a new home arena for the Senators, but, given his background in political circles, it would make sense for him to be involved."
Bruce Garrioch

Does not sound like he's been hired to do PR, to me.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
"Nicolas Ruszkowski had been hired as chief operating officer. His job will be to try to get the organization back on strong financial footing. "
Bruce Garrioch

"Ruszkowski will run day-to-day business operations, but won’t have a say in hockey operations. "
Bruce Garrioch

"It’s not known if Ruskkowski will play a role in negotiations with the National Capital Commission for redevelopment of LeBreton Flats, including construction of a new home arena for the Senators, but, given his background in political circles, it would make sense for him to be involved."
Bruce Garrioch

Does not sound like he's been hired to do PR, to me.
"Ruszkowski, who was born and raised in Ottawa, has a myriad of experience in public relations, having previously worked for PR & digital marketing agency FleishmanHillard as General Manager, and for The Ottawa Hospital in Communications & Outreach. Most recently, he was Executive Vice President, Strategy and Growth for MSL, a “global public relations and integrated communications partner.”"
Ottawa Senators Appoint Nicolas Ruszkowski as COO

If he's not being hired to do PR work, then his qualifications don't match the job. Moreover, the things you bolded don't necessarily preclude PR work – "getting the organization back on strong financial footing" could be as simple as getting the fans back to purchasing season tickets.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would have thought a new president would be the next front office move, but this might signal that Melnyk wants to be more hands on for the foreseeable future and retain that role,

Either way, nice to see some roles are being filled.

Careful with that “hands on” stuff! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad