News Article: Ottawa Senators “Untouchable” Prospects

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd be interested to see if there's a team in the NHL that has drafted and developed 8/9 of their top 9 forwards.
At the same time is probably extremely rare, maybe Tampa or Colorado are the closest?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I hate when people say a guy is "untouchable".

What they always mean is "I don't think a team would give us the right value, so I doubt he gets traded".

And then you have the untouchables like Karl, who ultimately get touched, and the fan base realizes they rather like it when their guys get touched, provided it's the right kind of touch, videlicet, a trade that we win.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I'd be interested to see if there's a team in the NHL that has drafted and developed 8/9 of their top 9 forwards.

Flyers fan, just visiting. To answer your question, the Flyers have 7/9 of their own picks in their top 9 (same as Tampa) and 10/12 forwards overall (Hayes via FA and Voracek via trade), 4/6 or 5/6 drafted D (depending if both Braun and Gustaffson are in the lineup) and 1/2 goalies drafted (Elliot via FA). It's good to see players come up through the system and grow together. Going to be a deep group in Ottawa in 2-3 years.

Reactions: NyQuil and Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Flyers fan, just visiting. To answer your question, the Flyers have 7/9 of their own picks in their top 9 (same as Tampa) and 10/12 forwards overall (Hayes via FA and Voracek via trade), 4/6 or 5/6 drafted D (depending if both Braun and Gustaffson are in the lineup) and 1/2 goalies drafted (Elliot via FA). It's good to see players come up through the system and grow together. Going to be a deep group in Ottawa in 2-3 years.

I never thought of Philly, it actually surprised me, but when I think of it they have added a lot of good young talent over the last few yrs. Good post. Thanks.

Reactions: pit

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Is that a good thing though?

I think it's situational. It seems to be a good thing for Tampa. I was merely wondering how common of an occurrence it was. I think we often assume that any forward that has a successful final year of junior or first year of pro is automatically a piece to the puzzle. I don't see this team being a contender with 8/9 of the top 9 forwards being drafted by the team, at least not with the current prospects.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The only prospects that are close to untouchable in my mind are Stützle and Batherson. Everyone else is very "touchable" while we don't have a legit #1C or RHD or top line goal scorer. Some guys in the system have a small chance of being those missing pieces, but I'd trade anyone in the system to secure the future in those roles. I'd probably honestly trade my 2 guys for a real under 24 1C as well.

The only non prospect roster players that belong here are Tkachuk and Chabot. No one else matters.

Tkachuk is still a prospect and I hope he retires here. He is absolutely the type of player one wins a cup with.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it's situational. It seems to be a good thing for Tampa. I was merely wondering how common of an occurrence it was. I think we often assume that any forward that has a successful final year of junior or first year of pro is automatically a piece to the puzzle. I don't see this team being a contender with 8/9 of the top 9 forwards being drafted by the team, at least not with the current prospects.

Not right away or not at all? I don't see it right away myself, I think it could take a few yrs depending how long it takes some of these guys to reach their potential in the NHL but I think it's possible. Of course, something could happen, it always seems to happen with this team to change things & I'm quite sure they will need to bring in a player or two to contribute to a winning team.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Not right away or not at all? I don't see it right away myself, I think it could take a few yrs depending how long it takes some of these guys to reach their potential in the NHL but I think it's possible. Of course, something could happen, it always seems to happen with this team to change things & I'm quite sure they will need to bring in a player or two to contribute to a winning team.

Certainly not right away, and likely not at all. I think we're guilty of massively overrating some of these guys. Look back a few posts on this thread. Sokolov is slotted on the third line. He was passed over twice and was ranked in the 3rd or 4th round by most scouting services.

I see two forwards that are first line material, and one of them hasn't played a game in the NHL (Tkachuk and Stuetzle). The others are great pieces, but are ceiling 2nd liners, in my opinion. Add in the almost certainty that not all of them hit their ceiling and you're looking at a few second liners and some spare parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for the likes of Formenton, Batherson and Norris, but what's the likelihood that all three reach their ceiling? Is it not possible, or likely, that one of them busts?

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Certainly not right away, and likely not at all. I think we're guilty of massively overrating some of these guys. Look back a few posts on this thread. Sokolov is slotted on the third line. He was passed over twice and was ranked in the 3rd or 4th round by most scouting services.

I see two forwards that are first line material, and one of them hasn't played a game in the NHL (Tkachuk and Stuetzle). The others are great pieces, but are ceiling 2nd liners, in my opinion. Add in the almost certainty that not all of them hit their ceiling and you're looking at a few second liners and some spare parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for the likes of Formenton, Batherson and Norris, but what's the likelihood that all three reach their ceiling? Is it not possible, or likely, that one of them busts?
Two things, first I think some of these projections as to where some of these guys will play may be yrs away, it certainly been the case for me, I think a few of them could be 3 or more yrs away but hopefully we get a couple of surprises. Second, Stuetzle is a top 3 player & a number of people on this board think he should be in the lineup to start the season, I;m not quite sure of that, I could easily see him stay in German for another yr especially given his injury to completely recover from it before deciding to challenge for an NHL job.

And if I could add a 3rd, it would be that Jarventie & Sokolov already have NHL size so they don't need or have to add all that much more & really only need experience & to learn the NHL systems & ways. Sokolov is an overager as well & could be a little more ready to step into the NHL, we'll see how ready he is after he plays in Belleville to start the season. I'm excited about the team, but have reservations especially for next yr & the following yr could be when they start to make their push.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa Senators “Untouchable” Prospects

The Ottawa Senators have one of the deepest and most talented prospect pools in the NHL, thanks to a recent influx of extra draft picks, prime drafting position and a strong development program. Ottawa’s top-five farm system is stocked full of players that project to be full-time contributors for the team in the near future.

Ottawa has spent the last few seasons fostering the growth of some elite talent — they had the second-most players (7) appear in THW’s Top 100 Prospects list at the end of August — and they just added 10 players in the 2020 NHL Draft, including two of the first five picks and another near the end of the first round.

Pierre Dorion has assembled one of the league’s best young cores through the draft, making 33 picks in the first five drafts since he was hired as Ottawa’s general manager in 2016.

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-untouchable-prospects-tkachuk-stuetzle-sanderson-norris/

I find the author’s writing style too fauning. It seems to be an affliction of some writers on that site.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Tkachuk is still a prospect and I hope he retires here. He is absolutely the type of player one wins a cup with.
Tkachuk is literally not a prospect. Unless we're completely changing what that word means in the english language and how this forum defines what a prospect is. That's just an irrefutable fact. I don't see the point of denying that.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Oddly enough there is a draft every year. It’s not like we won’t add prospects over the next couple years.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't want to trade Formenton just because I'm so intrigued with what he'd become. I'd say Sanderson and Stuetzle are untouchables. It'd be hard to get legit value for either of them and we're better off waiting to see what we have with them unless we receive an overpayment. Norris is close to being untouchable, he's been trending in the right direction in every way and we'd be daft to not let him try and earn a spot on this team as a top 6 forward

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

A Flyer fan with the username "Pit"

It confuses me but I like that

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
A Flyer fan with the username "Pit"

It confuses me but I like that

It was after Joni Pitkanen (in my avatar) many years ago.

Now my best party trick is getting tagged when teams are playing @ Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Daffy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone is tradable for the right price. Even Brady or Chabot.

I don’t like using the term “untouchable”. Even the original “Untouchables” were touched by Capone’s mobsters. The most “untouchable” player of all time (Gretzky) was traded. Karlsson was close to being a keeper but he was traded. I prefer to talk about players who are viewed as “core” players who are viewed as the most highly skilled and valuable players on the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

That would take some time to verify but Sens often had a LOT of draftees on their teams. For example, 23 players that played on the 2012-13 team were drafted by Ottawa

The cool thing about "prospects" is you have no idea about this.

Taking for example the 2011 pool voted here on HFB...

16. Mark Borowiecki
17. Mark Stone
18. Mike Hoffman

19. Eric Gryba
20. Jim O'Brien
21. Derek Grant
22. Marcus Sorensen
23. Jean-Gabriel Pageau
26. Kaspars Daugavins
27. Fredrik Claesson
28. Chris Wideman
38. Ryan Dzingel

People didn't believe much in Pageau, Hoffman, Stone and Dzingel but it's a pretty good list for prospects that didn't even make the top-15

I have been following the Sens prospect pools as close as possible for a long time and while we had some good/great pools before, nothing comes close to what we have now. So saying that only Tkachuk and Stuetzle will be 1st liners and NONE of Norris, Batherson, Jarventie, Logan Brown, etc could is not only conservative but ultra pessimistic. The good news is if we already have 2, you basically only need just 1 more... Chances are extremely good that we'll developp AT LEAST another one.

Norris, Batherson, Logan Brown, Formenton, Jarventie, Greig, Balcers, Abramov, Pinto, White, Sokolov, Crookshank could all be offensive contributors. More will be added in the next drafts, you can always make trades or even sign a UFA like we did with Dadonov

The goal is to build a solid top-9. The "4th line" is much easier to fill with guys like Paul and Chlapik or also by trading for a guy like Watson. There is actually 14 prospects/young players that can help build the best possible top-9, plus good stop gaps like Connor Brown or Evgeni Dadonov.

What we need to realize is the amplitude of the rebuild, we basically have 2 prospect pools in one. We developped with our own picks (being a rebuilding team, we are getting prime pieces like Tkachuk and Sanderson and the Sens often find gems like Batherson, Wolanin and Formenton for example) and then acquired another great collection of prospects by trading every proven player or stars (in their prime) from the 2017 ECF team.

Lots of possibilities, we can afford several guys to bust. But we need to hit on guys like Stuetzle, Tkachuk and Norris for sure. May the best of the rest win.

What is even better is the Defense and Goaltending pipelines look as good if not better :

Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom, JBD, Wolanin, Thomson, Kleven, Jaros, Zub, Lajoie, Guenette

Murray, Daccord, Sogaard, Hogberg, Mandolese, Merilainen, Gustavsson

We really don't need to "hit" on every prospect, like not at all. If Stuetzle and Sanderson hit, if Murray regains his form, we have :

Tkachuk-Stuetzle
Chabot-Sanderson
Murray

That could be a pretty good core to build around but I think these guys will have a lot of support and competition so they'll have to be very good to prove they are the best Ottawa players. Like no one expected Mark Stone to be that good so don't be surprised to see a Norris or Batherson boom.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

A couple of thoughts on this

1. What exactly is a first liner? I kinda think if HF settled on a definition of 1st liner, many NHL teams wouldn't have 3 of them. You're noting we have 2.

2. Floors and ceilings are interesting. So are roles on a team. Look at Formenton as an example. In my mind, his floor is that he'll be able to skate against any 1st line team in the league and have half the 1st liners he plays against saying "i hate that prick" Ceiling starts to come into play when we start talking about points how many points can he put up.

What's going on right now is the depth of the pool is such that we don't need the pool to hit it's ceiling. Obviously we need some guys to do that, but other guys hitting their floor compliments the guys that hit the ceiling.

And it's not far away either. It starts in the 21-22 season for the majority of the forward talent. Add a year or two after for the D talent

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
A couple of thoughts on this

1. What exactly is a first liner? I kinda think if HF settled on a definition of 1st liner, many NHL teams wouldn't have 3 of them. You're noting we have 2.

2. Floors and ceilings are interesting. So are roles on a team. Look at Formenton as an example. In my mind, his floor is that he'll be able to skate against any 1st line team in the league and have half the 1st liners he plays against saying "i hate that prick" Ceiling starts to come into play when we start talking about points how many points can he put up.

What's going on right now is the depth of the pool is such that we don't need the pool to hit it's ceiling. Obviously we need some guys to do that, but other guys hitting their floor compliments the guys that hit the ceiling.

And it's not far away either. It starts in the 21-22 season for the majority of the forward talent. Add a year or two after for the D talent

When I think "first line" I think of forwards that are legitimate top forwards. Likely in the top 20 in their position. I would be happy to use the word "star" in replacement. I think Tkachuk can be in the top 20 LWs in the NHL, and I think that Stutzle will be a top 20 LW or C down the road.

In terms of "ceiling" what I'm referring to is that I believe that the Formentons, Norris', Bathersons all have to reach the level that the majority of this board has assumed they'll reach; something that I don't think is realistic.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When I think "first line" I think of forwards that are legitimate top forwards. Likely in the top 20 in their position. I would be happy to use the word "star" in replacement. I think Tkachuk can be in the top 20 LWs in the NHL, and I think that Stutzle will be a top 20 LW or C down the road.

In terms of "ceiling" what I'm referring to is that I believe that the Formentons, Norris', Bathersons all have to reach the level that the majority of this board has assumed they'll reach; something that I don't think is realistic.

Doesn't compute. 31 teams, only 60 "first liners"

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Doesn't compute. 31 teams, only 60 "first liners"

"First liner" is an arbitrary term. If you throw a career third liner on the first line due to an injury, is he automatically a first line player? There are other situations where non-first line talents get put on the first line (experimenting, creating a spark during a slump, etc).

JD1 asked me what my definition of a "first liner" was. I don't think you're a first line talent simply by virtue of playing a game on the first line. That's why I said that I use the term in conjunction with "star".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad