OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Two chances to close out the east now and get that first round bye and one home game to get to Edmonton.

Big win for B.C. last night as well, putting Edmonton on the brink of elimination on a year they host. I would imagine if the Eskimos do fail to reach the playoffs, it'll turn into a buyers market on sites like stubhub for GC, with locals looking to offload. I would imagine whatever west team reaches the Grey Cup will have the crowd on their side. Imagine the thousands of Rider fans who would gobble up a lot of those seats? Even Calgary.

Interestingly, the Lions have clinched a playoff spot sitting at 4 in the west, while #3 Winnipeg isn't in, yet. The only team Edmonton can catch for a playoff spot is Winnipeg. For that, Winnipeg needs to lose next week vs Calgary (Edmonton is on a bye), which would set up a week 21 showdown in a head-to-head between Winnipeg and Edmonton to see who sneaks in. Essentially, both Winnipeg AND Edmonton cannot BOTH reach the playoffs anymore.

The west is a clusterf**k, but there should be a bit more clarity after the CGY vs SSK game today. Either SSK wins and keeps their distant shot at 1st in the west alive (and basically cements home field for at least one game), or we have a battle in the west where a team could move several spots before the end of the season.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Almost left in disgust after that 1st half, Redblacks and Harris looked so bad. But then somehow they came back in the 2nd half, almost more because Hamilton imploded especially after Banks left. Felt great that they pulled it out, but something about it was not super confidence inspiring yet. But RJ Harris seems to have solidifed himself now as part of that impressive receiving core. Along with Powell they always have that threat to move the chains. Trev Harris though ... always an adventure. But he did get it done, so hope for one more so we can get out of that crossover game.

Oh and there were two funny audibles from Harris: the Trump Special and the Jennifer Lopez. I'd love to find out the reasoning behind those names :)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Two chances to close out the east now and get that first round bye and one home game to get to Edmonton.

Big win for B.C. last night as well, putting Edmonton on the brink of elimination on a year they host. I would imagine if the Eskimos do fail to reach the playoffs, it'll turn into a buyers market on sites like stubhub for GC, with locals looking to offload. I would imagine whatever west team reaches the Grey Cup will have the crowd on their side. Imagine the thousands of Rider fans who would gobble up a lot of those seats? Even Calgary.

Interestingly, the Lions have clinched a playoff spot sitting at 4 in the west, while #3 Winnipeg isn't in, yet. The only team Edmonton can catch for a playoff spot is Winnipeg. For that, Winnipeg needs to lose next week vs Calgary (Edmonton is on a bye), which would set up a week 21 showdown in a head-to-head between Winnipeg and Edmonton to see who sneaks in. Essentially, both Winnipeg AND Edmonton cannot BOTH reach the playoffs anymore.

The west is a clusterf**k, but there should be a bit more clarity after the CGY vs SSK game today. Either SSK wins and keeps their distant shot at 1st in the west alive (and basically cements home field for at least one game), or we have a battle in the west where a team could move several spots before the end of the season.

Reminds of of 2016 when Ottawa invaded Toronto for the Grey Cup. Me and some buddies got tickets on Ticketmaster for $120. When we arrived we saw four busses pull up and Ottawa fans pour off. It was so loud there, as loud as a home game. Especially on that 3rd and 10 in OT.

Reactions: Larionov and hawthy

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 20

Fri: CGY (12-4) @ WPG (9-7)
Sat: OTT (9-7) @ HAM (8-8)
Sat: B.C. (9-7) @ SSK (11-6)
Sun: TOR (4-12) @ MTL (3-13)

BYE: EDM (8-9)

--------

East Division Race:

1. Ottawa (9-7): @ HAM, vs TOR
2. Hamilton (8-8): vs OTT, vs MTL
C. B.C. (9-7)

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Well documented: One win in either of the next two games (or a Hamilton week 21 loss) puts the East Final at Lansdowne. I'm confident, but it'll take another gutsy effort on Saturday if they want to wrap it up this week. It'd be nice to not have a need for the starters to dress and/or play a full game vs Toronto the week after, so although we have two chances at it, the sooner the better and all that stuff! Losing Banks or a player of that stature I don't wish on even our rivals.

The west is crazy. Up top, Saskatchewan is pushing like crazy at bumping the Stamps out of top spot. Going against SSK is the fact that they have a bye in the final week of the season and are still a win back. To their advantage is that they won the season series, so a tie in the standings would favour the Riders over the Stamps. Edmonton successfully pissed away a season in which they host the big one and now are relying on Calgary to beat Winnipeg on the road for what could be a head-to-head in week 21 between Edmonton and Winnipeg to see who crosses over and who goes home. A Bomber win eliminates the Eskies. B.C. has been that wild card team for half the season now and they will not be an easy out. With Lulay playing well and Buono on his farewell tour, that sort of magic-in-a-bottle can carry a team far, especially considering the road to the Grey Cup favours the teams who are hot at the right time. Watch out for B.C.

I still like Calgary to hang on and win the west, the Riders to take 2nd, and the Edmonton vs Winnipeg game week 21 to decide the final playoff spot. I'm also really hoping to get a SSK vs WPG western semi final. That'd be a beauty.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well documented: One win in either of the next two games (or a Hamilton week 21 loss) puts the East Final at Lansdowne. I'm confident, but it'll take another gutsy effort on Saturday if they want to wrap it up this week. It'd be nice to not have a need for the starters to dress and/or play a full game vs Toronto the week after, so although we have two chances at it, the sooner the better and all that stuff! Losing Banks or a player of that stature I don't wish on even our rivals.

The west is crazy. Up top, Saskatchewan is pushing like crazy at bumping the Stamps out of top spot. Going against SSK is the fact that they have a bye in the final week of the season and are still a win back. To their advantage is that they won the season series, so a tie in the standings would favour the Riders over the Stamps. Edmonton successfully pissed away a season in which they host the big one and now are relying on Calgary to beat Winnipeg on the road for what could be a head-to-head in week 21 between Edmonton and Winnipeg to see who crosses over and who goes home. A Bomber win eliminates the Eskies. B.C. has been that wild card team for half the season now and they will not be an easy out. With Lulay playing well and Buono on his farewell tour, that sort of magic-in-a-bottle can carry a team far, especially considering the road to the Grey Cup favours the teams who are hot at the right time. Watch out for B.C.

I still like Calgary to hang on and win the west, the Riders to take 2nd, and the Edmonton vs Winnipeg game week 21 to decide the final playoff spot. I'm also really hoping to get a SSK vs WPG western semi final. That'd be a beauty.

I think this is either the year Calgary wins it all, or they don’t even make the Grey Cup

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Moses Madu taking first team reps with the offence and is expected to start ahead of Willy P in the Hammer. A bit strange, unless Powell is nicked up, since we aren’t confirmed for Nov. 18 yet. If they can get the win while Powell sits (or doesn’t start, since he’s not on the injured list I don’t think), that could mean three consecutive weeks off, should the Argos game be meaningless and we get that bye on Nov. 11.

Also good news that Williams and Brown, among others, are returning on D. The return of everyone except Pruneau looks to be on the horizon.

Reactions: DrEasy

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
CGY vs WPG tonight. I plan to monitor this along with the Sens.

A Calgary win clinches the west for them and sets up a week 21 play in between WPG and EDM.

A Winnipeg win keeps SSK alive in the discussion for 1st in the west and should keep the Bombers in the west for the playoffs. It would also eliminate the Eskimos.

Exciting times....

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Great start for the Redblacks receivers, Greg Tony Gabrielson and little Spencer coming up with some big plays in the rough weather. Tabbies not able to fight thru the weather as well yet and again the their penalty trouble. Gotta love that 3rd and 1 gamble. 21-4

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ottawa O not moving the ball in 2nd half thus far!

Well, they moved the ball just enough!

The D is holding nicely.

Good win... hopefully, no injuries.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
How bout them Redblacks! East Div champs. Good Trevor showed up and connected with some of our great receivers. Sinopoli all time most catches for a Canadian receiver. Now we'll be the only team in the east with a winning record, our inconsistency was enough. Any given Sunday

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The game itself was awesome.

But man, that was freaking cold. Tim Hortons Field had no protection, and it was windy, cold and raining. It felt -30.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Also, full credit to MD for the team he’s built.

We lose Chris Williams, and we get Dionte Spencer who’s an upgrade IMO (less injury prone and can do punt returns). We lose Jackson, we get RJ Harris. Not as dynamic but he’s a hidden gem in our receiving core. And then he makes the right choices in Ellingson and Sinopoli.

He fixed the defense. Look at last game. Hamilton got really nothing all game and it never looked in doubt. They have some slip ups but in general he turned it from a weakness to a strength.

And you’ve got to give Trevor Harris some credit. The guy took a lot of heat from Redblacks fans this season, but he had a pretty strong year. Third in passing yards, first in percentage, first in QB efficiency. A 2:1 TD/INT ratio. He’ll have his chance to shine in November at TD Place.

Reactions: thinkwild

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The game itself was awesome.

But man, that was freaking cold. Tim Hortons Field had no protection, and it was windy, cold and raining. It felt -30.

While I'm a Ti-Cat fan that field is awful, I played on it before the renovations & it was bad back then & windy & cold when you get to this time of the yr. I don't remember if the field was facing north/south & then they renovated to have the field face East/West or visa versa but the area has always been cold in the fall. Good luck in the finals, hopefully the Cats can rebound from these two games & win their semi=final game to meet Ottawa again in the final.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
While I'm a Ti-Cat fan that field is awful, I played on it before the renovations & it was bad back then & windy & cold when you get to this time of the yr. I don't remember if the field was facing north/south & then they renovated to have the field face East/West or visa versa but the area has always been cold in the fall. Good luck in the finals, hopefully the Cats can rebound from these two games & win their semi=final game to meet Ottawa again in the final.

I’ve only been to BMO Field, Tim Horton Field and TD Place, but it was by far the coldest experience I’ve had at a sporting event. I went to the Grey Cup in late November and even that blizzard game between Ottawa and Edmonton in the playoffs, but this was, like, uncomfortably cold lol.

Other than that the stadium itself was pretty nice. They have a lot of team stores and concession stands so the lines weren’t too long (except the Tim Hortons downstairs). Although, it was hard to say how many people were there, so that could be it. The seats were pretty empty, but that could be because there were a lot of people watching from the semi-protected areas. The fans were pretty cool, I’m sure nobody was in the best mood sitting in the cold and a couple older men were “sick of us standing up and cheering”, although we only ever did it for a touchdown or interception. Most fans were cool, though, and respectful.

Good luck in the crossover game. I hate seeing the West cross over, so hopefully you guys kick their ass and we have an actual East Final.

Reactions: aragorn

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Rain never helps, too. You can dress for cold much easier than you can dress for rain. The second the water penetrates, it's over. The combination of the two is lethal.

Mission accomplished in the regular season. No rooting interest in the semi-final: either it's a motivated Hamilton after losing three-times to Ottawa, or B.C. who has been as hot as anyone. Despite their result this week, they have a Grey Cup winning QB and decorated head coach. It'll be a tough game.

Only one meaningful game left on the regular season schedule and that's the last one: Calgary @ B.C.

Calgary wins: WPG @ SSK, winner travels to CGY for the west final
B.C. wins: WPG @ CGY, winner travels to SSK for the west final

The unfortunate situation for Saskatchewan is that yesterday's win over B.C. made next week's game for B.C. of no consequence, while still needing B.C. to win. C'est la vie.

East is set: B.C. @ HAM, winner travels to OTT for the east final

The health of Collaros is something to watch.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Watched a bit of this game against Toronto. It wasn't really fair though because Toronto dressed a lot of 2nd tier players for this game against our backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad