Ottawa Fury FC 2014 Season Thread, Part 2

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
They don't have the budget for it and it's still not a given that it would fill the stadium. Winning more games will fill the stadium up moreso, IMO.

I'm surely not against the idea of having a huge name, though.

Hmm... I'm only a fringe soccer fan, but I don't know who that guy is (not discounting him in any way, I'm sure he's a star across the pond). I consider myself an average sports fan in the city for all things non-Sens related and thus the perfect candidate to be wooed by the Fury, so I think it would take a few pretty massive signings to pack the stadium for Fury games. IMO, winning can fill seats more than signings which are a big deal for soccer fanatics, but very "meh" for the rest of us with limited soccer knowledge.

Of course, making these signings would in theory bring winning, so they aren't mutually exclusive.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
In more Fury news, Oliver and Phil Davies are back with the team again this year. This is awesome news. Davies is very versitile and Oliver was pretty much our only offensive weapon. The team is shaping up quite nicely.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Hmm... I'm only a fringe soccer fan, but I don't know who that guy is (not discounting him in any way, I'm sure he's a star across the pond). I consider myself an average sports fan in the city for all things non-Sens related and thus the perfect candidate to be wooed by the Fury, so I think it would take a few pretty massive signings to pack the stadium for Fury games. IMO, winning can fill seats more than signings which are a big deal for soccer fanatics, but very "meh" for the rest of us with limited soccer knowledge.

Of course, making these signings would in theory bring winning, so they aren't mutually exclusive.

I also feel the atmosphere is much better at Fury games than at Sens game.

There's something about soccer games that just seems much more existing live for average fans. My gf loves to go to the live games, does't really care for it on tv.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Oliver and Davies back

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/de...ry-fc-re-sign-young-talents-oliver-and-davies

As of today, January 19, 2015 Fury FC have the following 15 players under contract:

Goalkeeper (2): Romuald Peiser, Marcel DeBellis

Defenders (4): Omar Jarun, Mason Trafford, Drew Beckie, Mike Randolph

Midfielders (5): Richie Ryan, Nicki Paterson, Mauro Eustaquio, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Philippe Davies

Forwards (4): Tom Heinemann, Paulo Junior, Carl Haworth, Oliver

Only 2 new players so far.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oliver coming back is great. He'll have an ever better season this year I'd wager. Davies is a nice re-sign as well.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I also feel the atmosphere is much better at Fury games than at Sens game.

There's something about soccer games that just seems much more existing live for average fans. My gf loves to go to the live games, does't really care for it on tv.

This. Win or lose I've had a stellar time at TD Place for Fury games so far. Great atmosphere and while the crowd isn't huge, it's passionate and loud.

Sens go down by a few and CTC turns into a library pretty quick. Could also help that TD Place is open air. I find that adds rather than detracts from the experience big time.

Also re-signing Oliver is a solid move. I like the philosophy of management so far this first ever offseason. Keep the core which showed serious promise and sign a few guys who can help take us to the next level. Don't go crazy with the moves, just slow and steady.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep. I think part of the problem with a lot of professional sports is that the roster turnover tends to be too much especially in the lower divisions. If you can keep the same group of players together and let them grow together they can create chemistry which can make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Money being injected into sports has made it popular to try and buy all the best talents, but as Lippi would say the best players don't always make the best team. Chemistry, mentality and knowing how to get the most of your players is more important than the individual talents. You can only really gain this by keeping them together over a decent period of time IMO.

Also, the schedule is out: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/schedule

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Yep. I think part of the problem with a lot of professional sports is that the roster turnover tends to be too much especially in the lower divisions. If you can keep the same group of players together and let them grow together they can create chemistry which can make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Money being injected into sports has made it popular to try and buy all the best talents, but as Lippi would say the best players don't always make the best team. Chemistry, mentality and knowing how to get the most of your players is more important than the individual talents. You can only really gain this by keeping them together over a decent period of time IMO.

Also, the schedule is out: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/schedule

So the exact opposite of the New York Cosmos model. :sarcasm:

Schedule looks pretty fun and balanced. A few lengthy homestands matched by equally scary road trips. Should be a wild ride!

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
The fury just added a new CB to the team. Rafael Alves. Plays with the Strikers last season.

6'3, 29 years old. He's a big boy!

Can't hurt having another big guy on D. Between him and Jarun, we should get better at set pieces.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
The fury just added a new CB to the team. Rafael Alves. Plays with the Strikers last season.

6'3, 29 years old. He's a big boy!

Can't hurt having another big guy on D. Between him and Jarun, we should get better at set pieces.

It can hurt when we waste an international spot on an oldish D man who will have to fight to stay in the lineup.

Ugh.

We need a capable crossing winger and a damn poacher. While having more aerial presence is nice i cant see both Jarun and Alves beating out Trafford every game. Trafford is just too solid.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
It can hurt when we waste an international spot on an oldish D man who will have to fight to stay in the lineup.

Ugh.

We need a capable crossing winger and a damn poacher. While having more aerial presence is nice i cant see both Jarun and Alves beating out Trafford every game. Trafford is just too solid.

I actually see Jarun sitting most games. I think they will go with Alves and Trafford.

I assume we will use the international spot for a ST and I'm sure we can find a pacey winger who can cross the ball without using an international spot.

Unless they use their full backs more offensively this year and then Randolph can surely cross the ball.

Anyway, work in progress, I'm sure they had their reasons for using the International spot for a CB.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
I actually see Jarun sitting most games. I think they will go with Alves and Trafford.

I assume we will use the international spot for a ST and I'm sure we can find a pacey winger who can cross the ball without using an international spot.

Unless they use their full backs more offensively this year and then Randolph can surely cross the ball.

Anyway, work in progress, I'm sure they had their reasons for using the International spot for a CB.

Aren't there a ton of upgrades over Jarun at CB that are domestic though? I mean there is Nana Attakora that comes to mind. Adam Straith? Those are guys who play for the national team and are unattached.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

Ugh.

Oof the pillaging of Strikers continues across the league. Ronaldo better have something decent up his sleeve (other than him playing...)

Not a bad pickup me thinks. Loads more N. American experience coming in compared to this time last year.

BTW I was at the OSEG team store today and they are officially capable of cresting Fury jerseys. $35 for name and number. Can't wait to get Ryan put on my home kit.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Another signing wednesday

At 17 players ... the #FuryFamily just isn't big enough ... so tomorrow we'll add one more!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Richter returns

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/detail/uuid/1msbnanpr3wyr19ry9031on5qu/richter-returns

As of today, January 28, 2015 Fury FC have the following 18 players under contract:

Goalkeeper (2): Romuald Peiser, Marcel DeBellis

Defenders (6): Omar Jarun, Mason Trafford, Drew Beckie, Mike Randolph, Rafael Alves, Ryan Richter

Midfielders (5): Richie Ryan, Nicki Paterson, Mauro Eustaquio, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Philippe Davies

Forwards (5): Tom Heinemann, Paulo Junior, Carl Haworth, Oliver, Andrew Wiedeman

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Team is shaping up nicely I think. I came here to post the Richter thing. I'm getting more optimistic about our season with each passing week. :D

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As a devout fan of the other expansion team from last year, the Indy Eleven, I wish you all the best of luck.

As for anybody who still has hope of the Virginia Cavalry ever playing a match... I got some ocean-front real estate in New Mexico to sell you.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
As a devout fan of the other expansion team from last year, the Indy Eleven, I wish you all the best of luck.

As for anybody who still has hope of the Virginia Cavalry ever playing a match... I got some ocean-front real estate in New Mexico to sell you.

Can't wait to keep disappointing your home fans.

Both the Richter and Wiedeman pick ups are phenomenal. Real, top quality talent filling key holes. Love it.

This is gonna be one hell of a season. :yo:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa

Ahhhh Virginia. In other NASL news, Jacksonville looks like they'll have a solid team with TWO head coaches (ahahaha). Also, every single player on their team except Jemal Johnson is latino - no secret what part of the JAX market they're trying to appeal too.

Fury FC have one more international slot, will be interesting to see what Dos Santos does. He was big on the idea of shoring up the backline, so I wouldn't be surprised if he brings in another defender to really shore things up at the back.

With Peiser in net, Ottawa have one of the tightest backlines in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad