Ottawa Fury FC 2014 Season Thread, Part 2

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The released schedule is terrible. The northern teams have home heavy schedules in the coldest months while the southern teams have home heavy schedules in the hottest months. Ridiculous.

The NASL needs to ditch the summer break too.

For Ottawa and Edmonton this in large part is because of the world cup.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I have now gone from openly mocking the team to being a STH. I highly suggest people get out to a game. Its cheap, the stadium is beautiful.....just a great way to have a beer with some friends.

Plus you'll get to see the Spanish legends Raúl and Senna up close in OTTAWA of all places this season when he visits with the Cosmos.

Honestly don't get the disinterest for the club and league. Every team has at least a few top level European/MLS players and there are so many opportunities for teams to play outside of their league. Easily Ottawa's most dynamic pro team; so full of potential.

Make sure you get to the Canada Cup games (first one April 22nd I believe). If we beat FC Edmonton we move on and play Vancouver Whitecaps in a home and home. Should be epic! :nod:

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Plus you'll get to see the Spanish legend Raúl up close in OTTAWA of all places this season when he visits with the Cosmos.

Honestly don't get the disinterest for the club and league. Every team has at least a few top level European/MLS players and there are so many opportunities for teams to play outside of their league. Easily Ottawa's most dynamic pro team; so full of potential.

Make sure you get to the Canada Cup games (first one April 22nd I believe). If we beat FC Edmonton we move on and play Vancouver Whitecaps in a home and home. Should be epic! :nod:

I think people have this idea Nasl is junk while in reality there is not much difference between Nasl and Mls.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I think the issue isn't MLS v NASL.

I think most soccer fans in general look down upon pro NA soccer, period. Even MLS, which is still seen by many - rightfully - as a retirement league.

They can't market the team as 'elite-level' and 'world-class', because quite frankly it isn't. Anyone that has illusions about Senna and Raul needs to realize these players are well past their primes (Raul scored 11 goals in 39 appearances in the Middle East over the past two seasons).

While the names look good, the real talent of this league is the unheralded Central- and South-American type on teams like San Antonio, (previously) Ft. Lauderdale, etc..

Yes, it is pro soccer - which is good. But no, it is not elite-level by any stretch. This team needs to be marketed similarly to the model the 67's followed about fifteen years ago when Jeff Hunt bought the team; grassroots, ticket giveaways, etc. They need to make the stadium a fun place to watch a game, regardless of whether the product on the field is 'elite' or not.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think the issue isn't MLS v NASL.

I think most soccer fans in general look down upon pro NA soccer, period. Even MLS, which is still seen by many - rightfully - as a retirement league.

They can't market the team as 'elite-level' and 'world-class', because quite frankly it isn't. Anyone that has illusions about Senna and Raul needs to realize these players are well past their primes (Raul scored 11 goals in 39 appearances in the Middle East over the past two seasons).

While the names look good, the real talent of this league is the unheralded Central- and South-American type on teams like San Antonio, (previously) Ft. Lauderdale, etc..

Yes, it is pro soccer - which is good. But no, it is not elite-level by any stretch. This team needs to be marketed similarly to the model the 67's followed about fifteen years ago when Jeff Hunt bought the team; grassroots, ticket giveaways, etc. They need to make the stadium a fun place to watch a game, regardless of whether the product on the field is 'elite' or not.

It is elite no you can debate is it high end elite maybe not but this idea its Major jr level of soccer is not true just take Ottawa they have 4-6 players that could be in Mls.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
It is elite no you can debate is it high end elite maybe not but this idea its Major jr level of soccer is not true just take Ottawa they have 4-6 players that could be in Mls.

Who?

Peiser, maybe Oliver.

The likes of Heinemann, Wiedeman, Richter, & Paulo Junior are all here because they didn't cut it in MLS.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Who?

Peiser, maybe Oliver.

The likes of Heinemann, Wiedeman, Richter, & Paulo Junior are all here because they didn't cut it in MLS.

Wiedeman, Richter still should be in Toronto as with Heinemann no question if he wanted he could find a team.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I seriously don't see any major difference between MLS and NASL except for the designated players. That's it. For the rest, it's a wash for me.

I've been waiting since the Ottawa Intrepid folded to watch live soccer in Ottawa. It's by far the best atmosphere in any stadium/arena I've witness in Ottawa.

Anyway, can't wait to get the season underway!!!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
There is a major difference in MLS and NASL, it all starts with money, bigger budgets, bigger crowds, bigger tv coverage, bigger stars, bigger sponsorship, all things the MLS has and the NASL does'nt.

Right now i think Cosmos and Rowdies may be equal to some MLS teams, but the rest are way behind right now.
Will the NASL get bigger and better, i think so and i think Ottawa has a very good chance to be up there, as long as Ottawa gets off to a winning start i think the fans will show up and would'nt be surprised to see crowds averaging 10,000 or more if they dont then expect 4-5000 max.
It would be good to see more Canadian teams in the NASL but i cant see more than 2-3 by 2020, Calgary, Quebec and Hamilton would be my bet.
Anyway only one month till opening day, and 3 days till first exhibition game.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Yes SA and Minny were very good teams last year but i think Cosmos and Rowdies are the top teams on paper this year even Marc Dos Santos has stated that.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Crazy seeing Montreal and world sports media explode last night over that win against Pachuca in CCL. :amazed:

That could be us someday soon. :nod:

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I think people have this idea Nasl is junk while in reality there is not much difference between Nasl and Mls.

Not even close! MLS rejects play in the NASL and this is coming from a Fury fan. Etienne Barbara was a prime example. Elite NASL scorer who couldn't do anything in the MLS. Likewise, Heinemann couldn't keep up the pace in the MLS but he is an average player in the NASL.

By comparison, the MLS is more of the German 2nd division while the NASL is somewhere at the bottom of the German 3rd division/top of 4th tier.

Although several top tier teams like the Cosmos, Rowdies could play in the MLS, just like most top teams in any 2nd tier, they wouldn't fare well.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Not even close!

Although several top tier teams like the Cosmos, Rowdies could play in the MLS, just like most top teams in any 2nd tier, they wouldn't fare well.

This.

Most NASL wins over MLS clubs come in the USOC, which virtually every MLS team treats as a joke until the semi-finals.

Does anybody seriously think the Cosmos, who finished 3rd in the NASL last season, are better than the NYRB , a mid-table MLS team last season, by a 3-0 scoreline? No.

Rant over - appreciate the NASL for what it is: a very exciting, largely professional, second-tier league.

Tampa and NY have easily had the best offseasons in the NASL. Minny did well to keep Ramirez and Ibarra - the return of a fully fit Pablo Campos will be huge for them too. Ft. Lauderdale has been gutted.

Very interested to watch how latin-flavoured Jacksonville does in its opening campaign.

First exhibition game in Vaughan against TFC II should be good!

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not even close! MLS rejects play in the NASL and this is coming from a Fury fan. Etienne Barbara was a prime example. Elite NASL scorer who couldn't do anything in the MLS. Likewise, Heinemann couldn't keep up the pace in the MLS but he is an average player in the NASL.

By comparison, the MLS is more of the German 2nd division while the NASL is somewhere at the bottom of the German 3rd division/top of 4th tier.

If you were to compare them to Europe Mls would be way down and yes Nasl would be way way down on that list but in North America there really is not much of a difference yes there is some but its not like Nhl vs Ohl.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
This.

Most NASL wins over MLS clubs come in the USOC, which virtually every MLS team treats as a joke until the semi-finals.

Does anybody seriously think the Cosmos, who finished 3rd in the NASL last season, are better than the NYRB , a mid-table MLS team last season, by a 3-0 scoreline? No.

Rant over - appreciate the NASL for what it is: a very exciting, largely professional, second-tier league.

Tampa and NY have easily had the best offseasons in the NASL. Minny did well to keep Ramirez and Ibarra - the return of a fully fit Pablo Campos will be huge for them too. Ft. Lauderdale has been gutted.

Very interested to watch how latin-flavoured Jacksonville does in its opening campaign.

First exhibition game in Vaughan against TFC II should be good!

So because MLS teams are better on paper they're just better? Why is 'on paper' performance more important than actual performance in real games?

I think I read that NASL clubs have a winning record against MLS clubs in Open Cup/Friendly play.

Are we forgetting the time Carolina beat LA and Chivas one after the other TWO YEARS IN A ROW? LA had both Donovan and Robbie Keane playing and it was late in the tournament so you can hardly say they purposefully flubbed that match. Did Landon and Robbie just not run for the ball that day?

Heck NASL clubs are already making a major name for themselves this year... see San Antonio's big win over FC Dallas a few days ago.

Sure MLS teams are better on paper. Do I think Red Bulls are a better quality squad than Cosmos? Yes. But the quality of play is A LOT closer than is commonly portrayed. Actual results >>>> 'on paper' results. Cosmos won that game fair and square in a competitive format with real implications. Red Bulls did not.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
If you were to compare them to Europe Mls would be way down and yes Nasl would be way way down on that list but in North America there really is not much of a difference yes there is some but its not like Nhl vs Ohl.

I really don't think you watch much of either league of that is your assessment. 90% of NASL players can't play in the MSL due to their lack of quality. Even Raul, a namesake player for the league signed with the Cosmos due zero interest from NYCFC or NYRB because of his inability (due to age) to play in the league.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I really don't think you watch much of either league of that is your assessment. 90% of NASL players can't play in the MSL due to their lack of quality. Even Raul, a namesake player for the league signed with the Cosmos due zero interest from NYCFC or NYRB because of his inability (due to age) to play in the league.

Pretty sure that had way more to do with MLS's insane free agent rules. This is WHY they're about to have a strike after all....

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Re: Red Bulls losing 3-0 to NY last year...look at the boxscore. No Cahill, no Henry, no McCarty, etc.

I love the NASL. It's a great league, very entertaining.

But pretending it's like MLS without the designated players is a flat-out pipe dream.

Fort Lauderdale came to Ottawa in September with FOUR eligible subs. They won (beside the point) but only had three outfield players to choose from on the bench due to visa issues. That doesn't happen in MLS.

Former MLS frontmen Heinemann (4G in 45 MLS GP) and Wiedeman (4G in 44GP) are here because they can't get jobs in MLS. They simply weren't good enough. Richter, while a serviceable defender at the NASL level, couldn't crack an MLS lineup in four years of trying.

As somebody who followed the league very closely last season, I'm confident in saying that Ottawa has improved this offseason. However, teams like NY and TB have improved even more, and I think Fury FC are doomed to mid-table mediocrity this year (5th to 7th).

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Wiedeman can hopefully give us some finish in the box....pretty much the only thing Ottawa was missing last year. Our play was great we just couldnt put the ball in the net.

I expect a better showing than last season...likely playoffs. But I don't think its a championship team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad