Post-Game Talk: Ottawa at Winnipeg - Petaning all the way

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I noticed Ehlers quite a bit.... in addition to the assist.

...handled a tough puck in the neutral zone and broke in on the R side - backhand just high and wide.

...had a couple of excellent plays on zone exit from his zone - using speed and vision to create space and made a wonderful pass through the neutral zone to set up a rush.

...had a few dangerous plays on the PP - give and go with Petan, then with Staff to go around the net and made a couple of high-end passes to players in the slot for good scoring chances.

What I saw more and more was that he can use his speed to get to open ice, or create open ice for other players. He is also quick on the puck-carrier in all zones. He's already better at getting on opponents with the puck than most of our forwards due to his speed and agility.

I saw that too. That is what I expect to see. Flashes.

I wasn't saying that his play was dissapointing by any stretch, just that he didn't knock my socks off with anything cray.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty hard to judge him based on those first 2 periods playing with LL. They would have made Ovechkin look bad.

Lets see him in a couple of more games with linemates who are more ready to play.

Edit:Was that PMo sending Burmi a message? Something like 'see, you don't belong with those guys'? Just a thought.

I'm not judging him on those periods alone but more like his entire preseason body of work. He still doesn't go to the correct areas, nor does he put the puck in those areas regularly enough.

Those are traits that he had in his first go around here so imo he likely will never think the game well enough to be a big point producer, which is fine with all the high end skill we are developing up front. On the plus side he no longer seems dangle his way into worse positions.

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012

I wasn't saying that his play was dissapointing by any stretch, just that he didn't knock my socks off with anything cray.

It looked to me like the guys need to work on their chemistry a bit. Ehlers is used to being fed the puck and running the show a bit more. It will be an interesting Oct!!

:popcorn:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think expecting Ehlers to knock your socks off is unfair to him. At least at this point. He's not Connor McDavid. He played a very good game. My expectation is that he can contribute to this teams success, he was very much a part of that success last night. Setting up Staff cross crease. I wonder if Scheif even get's that overtime winner if Hammond doesn't hesitate with Ehlers burning down the other wing?
His speed alone makes him a good backchecker and with him ripping around out there he creates a lot of space for the rest of our dangerous players. I'd like to see the PSE line again next game they look like they already have some chemistry.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not judging him on those periods alone but more like his entire preseason body of work. He still doesn't go to the correct areas, nor does he put the puck in those areas regularly enough.

Those are traits that he had in his first go around here so imo he likely will never think the game well enough to be a big point producer, which is fine with all the high end skill we are developing up front. On the plus side he no longer seems dangle his way into worse positions.

Fair enough. He could fit very well with Lowry, Ehlers. We should get a glimpse tomorrow.
Edit:Oops, I mean Lowry, Stafford.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think expecting Ehlers to knock your socks off is unfair to him. At least at this point. He's not Connor McDavid. He played a very good game. My expectation is that he can contribute to this teams success, he was very much a part of that success last night. Setting up Staff cross crease. I wonder if Scheif even get's that overtime winner if Hammond doesn't hesitate with Ehlers burning down the other wing?
His speed alone makes him a good backchecker and with him ripping around out there he creates a lot of space for the rest of our dangerous players. I'd like to see the PSE line again next game they look like they already have some chemistry.

I don't expect him to knock my socks off, I'm just saying I won't rave about a game unless he does.

He is progressing well and I've liked his defensive game in a couple showings, notably yesterday and throughout much of the Edmonton game. I really like the kid. He has incredible upside.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm pretty sure that Ehlers is "locking down" his offensive tendencies, to ensure that he gains Maurice's trust. Defense first - the offense will be relatively easy for him once he plays a game the coaching staff trust, methinks.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Ehlers might be the smoothest skater I've ever seen. I can't think of anyone who moves like him

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure that Ehlers is "locking down" his offensive tendencies, to ensure that he gains Maurice's trust. Defense first - the offense will be relatively easy for him once he plays a game the coaching staff trust, methinks.

Yup. He is a bright kid listening to what the coach says. "You make the team by playing the Jets game, not your game". IN Maurice's eyes 1 blown defensive assignment likely negates X amount of tricky dangles.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yup. He is a bright kid listening to what the coach says. "You make the team by playing the Jets game, not your game". IN Maurice's eyes 1 blown defensive assignment likely negates X amount of tricky dangles.

If that's the case, then explain the continued employment of Adam Pardy :P

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
PSE line is very good & I hope it sticks.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Petan to move up the lineup permanently. If it was up to me I'd put Stafford on the 4th line and go Petan Lowry Burmistrov...

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Yeah, I like PSE too.

I very much doubt we ever see Stafford on the 4th line. Petan will need to wait for an injury to move up. Although I could see him temporarily shifting across lines in games where we need to shake things up a bit.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, I like PSE too.

I very much doubt we ever see Stafford on the 4th line. Petan will need to wait for an injury to move up. Although I could see him temporarily shifting across lines in games where we need to shake things up a bit.

IMO all he had to do is convince the organization he is ready. After that he is good enough to make his own opportunities and will move up the lineup accordingly.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
IMO all he had to do is convince the organization he is ready. After that he is good enough to make his own opportunities and will move up the lineup accordingly.

But who would he bump down to the 4th line on a healthy roster? Burmi? I certainly don't see it happening with Stafford.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
That is my suspicion as well. The kids will make the team through their defensive play.

I don't agree with the notion that the offense will be easy though. Ehlers will have a huge learning curve moving forward and even vets that have it figured out like Wheeler talk about hard it is to score in this league. Ehlers will have to deal with being shut out often and learn many new methods.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But who would he bump down to the 4th line on a healthy roster? Burmi? I certainly don't see it happening with Stafford.

How we view players and the role they play is always fluid. IMO it won't take that long before Ehlers and Petan push their way up the line up. It may not be immediately but there is too much talent for it not to happen eventually. It might happen with other players moving down, or through other roster moves.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
How we view players and the role they play is always fluid. IMO it won't take that long before Ehlers and Petan push their way up the line up. It may not be immediately but there is too much talent for it not to happen eventually. It might happen with other players moving down, or through other roster moves.

Yeah, for sure. Petan is (or soon will be) way too good to stick on the 4th line. I was responding to the idea that we re-arrange our current roster to move Petan up, which I don't think happens this season, in the absence of injury or trade.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

I think that Burmi will be given an appropriate time period to adjust and prove he deserves non-4th line minutes. If he doesn't, then I could see Petan switching out for him. I think the more likely scenario is Matty P probably goes out with injury, then they shuffle the deck moving someone from another line to fill Matty P's spot, and give Petan their spot. I couldn't see a line of Petan, Scheif/Lowry, and Ehlers.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah, for sure. Petan is (or soon will be) way too good to stick on the 4th line. I was responding to the idea that we re-arrange our current roster to move Petan up, which I don't think happens this season, in the absence of injury or trade.

There is no such thing.

How he will move up? Injury creates opportunity. He takes advantage and steal that spot on the depth chart. This is imilar to Chiarot last year. He could also be moved up to fix a stalled line and be good enough that it get more looks - same as last night.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
There is no such thing.

How he will move up? Injury creates opportunity. He takes advantage and steal that spot on the depth chart. This is imilar to Chiarot last year. He could also be moved up to fix a stalled line and be good enough that it get more looks - same as last night.

To be clear, this is exactly what I'm saying too.

Petan will need to wait for an injury to move up. Although I could see him temporarily shifting across lines in games where we need to shake things up a bit.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That is my suspicion as well. The kids will make the team through their defensive play.

I don't agree with the notion that the offense will be easy though. Ehlers will have a huge learning curve moving forward and even vets that have it figured out like Wheeler talk about hard it is to score in this league. Ehlers will have to deal with being shut out often and learn many new methods.

I said "relatively". ;)

The NHL is a very difficult league to score in - that's a given. I see Ehlers as being talented and smart enought to be able to adapt his offensive game to fit. He'll certainly never be as prolific as before, but I do see him being a strong contributor at some point.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Hey people.

I know I'm wayyyy late but I have something very important to say about the last game vs Ottawa.

Nicolas Petan is good at hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad