Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Last night’ game was highly entertaining and could have gone either way. The 67’s were fortunate to strike twice very late to send the game to OT but prior to that, I thought that they played an even game but couldn’t bury.
A few standouts:
1) Luca Pinelli was IMO the most dynamic player on the ice. He danced through what seemed like the entire NB team a couple times in the O zone;
2) Cam Tolnai and Jack Beck really were flying in the late stages. The upside is still there for Cam and I think that he’ll have a monster year next season;
3) Donoso despite allowing a tough early goal battled back and had another solid game. Gives us hope that he could be the guy to take us to the promised land next year with 19 year olds Boucher, Beck and Matier.

We are likely done but credit to this team for battling hard all three games so far. I hope that they can win on Wednesday, as this series has been more even than a 4-0 sweep.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG to continue the conversation on Gaidamack from the previous thread. You're right that we don't know if they actually plan to move on from Gaidamack or not. We also maybe don't know all the factors in his poor second half. However he is centering the fourth line so I'm thinking they will move on, just my opinion. Now you mentioned the poles tendency to go for 17 y.o. recently. If they move on from Gaidamack I think they might go for an impact 19y.o ( or at least an 18y.o.) as we will be a contender next year imo. Wouldn't be surprised it would be an nhl drafted player that Boyd would have talked to the nhl team beforehand. An nhl team would probably be interested in getting a prospect to develop on a projected good team with an nhl caliber coach.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Is Ottawa Sens draft pick Oliver Johansson (C) eligible for the CHL import draft?

Timrå IK J20
1.png
J20 Nationell
331922411.2412-6
Timrå IK
1.png
SHL
140000.000-7

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG to continue the conversation on Gaidamack from the previous thread. You're right that we don't know if they actually plan to move on from Gaidamack or not. We also maybe don't know all the factors in his poor second half. However he is centering the fourth line so I'm thinking they will move on, just my opinion. Now you mentioned the poles tendency to go for 17 y.o. recently. If they move on from Gaidamack I think they might go for an impact 19y.o ( or at least an 18y.o.) as we will be a contender next year imo. Wouldn't be surprised it would be an nhl drafted player that Boyd would have talked to the nhl team beforehand. An nhl team would probably be interested in getting a prospect to develop on a projected good team with an nhl caliber coach.
That plan can be difficult. First, I am not sure what the time period is between the NHL draft and CHL Import draft this year but it is typically one week. That doesn’t give Boyd a lot of time to secure the services of the player. It actually complicates things a lot because if they have their eyes on a player and he ends up being drafted by a team not wanting to have him play in the CHL, they are back at square one just a week prior to the draft.

The other issue is it isn’t often that a 19 year old plays in the OHL. More often the player will play AHL because they re eligible. IT does happen and the 67’s may be picking high enough in the draft to snag that type of player but it isn’t a lock by any means.

This is one reason why teams like Ottawa snag the 17 year old. They can typically secure the players services easier (transfer fees) and can usually snag a player of higher calibre that most other teams. The drawback is the experience level isn’t quite as high So there is a steeper learning curve.

I agree with you that they’d be better off with an 18 or 19 year old that is more experienced and dynamic. But, it is more likely they draft a 17 year old.

This is all going to come down to whether they feel they have access to a player of high calibre. Remember that Gaidamak was a player of high calibre. He was Captain of his U-17 Russian team. It doesnt’ always work out as well as planned.

HOWEVER, the one thing they could do is bring Gaidamak back and then TRADE for another Import If Gaidamak doesn’t work out as planned. They are usually similarly priced to OA’s. Same if they draft a 17 year old that shows promise but isn’t quite ready. So there are options.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Does anyone on this board go to the games? Your boys are playing their hearts out and IMO should be up 2-1 in the series. Under 1600 fans is disheartening. Seems like the conversation is already about next year!

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Does anyone on this board go to the games? Your boys are playing their hearts out and IMO should be up 2-1 in the series. Under 1600 fans is disheartening. Seems like the conversation is already about next year!
I do and have had season tickets for seven years. It was a tiny crowd last night, Monday is always a bad night here. You have to also understand that the 67’s have very few familiar faces to the causal fan after being robbed of the past two seasons.

With their run to the finals three years ago, they were really building something. Two years ago, they were 50-11 and had the most badass team in the country IMO when COVID cancelled the season. Gone from that year were Rossi, Keating, Hoefenmayer, Garreffa, Bahl, Hoelscher and Okhotyuk, all bonafide OHL stars in their own way. They lost an opportunity to REALLY grow the fan base if they could have won the league.

Even last year, they would have had Graeme Clarke, Jack Quinn, Cedric Andree, Merrick Rippon not to mention Kasper Simontaival and Nick Moldenhauer who changed their plans to come to the 67’s after the season was put in peril. They make the Eastern Conference finals at least with that roster and the local star goalie Andree in nets.

The two big names on the current roster from that team were Jack Beck and Cam Tolnai who both played very minor roles two years ago. Tyler Boucher is a big name but his midseason addition to a 7th place team hasn’t gotten all that much extra buzz in the market.

I am confident in saying that the 67’s were easily the most screwed team in the league from COVID.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
I do and have had season tickets for seven years. It was a tiny crowd last night, Monday is always a bad night here. You have to also understand that the 67’s have very few familiar faces to the causal fan after being robbed of the past two seasons.

With their run to the finals three years ago, they were really building something. Two years ago, they were 50-11 and had the most badass team in the country IMO when COVID cancelled the season. Gone from that year were Rossi, Keating, Hoefenmayer, Garreffa, Bahl, Hoelscher and Okhotyuk, all bonafide OHL stars in their own way. They lost an opportunity to REALLY grow the fan base if they could have won the league.

Even last year, they would have had Graeme Clarke, Jack Quinn, Cedric Andree, Merrick Rippon not to mention Kasper Simontaival and Nick Moldenhauer who changed their plans to come to the 67’s after the season was put in peril. They make the Eastern Conference finals at least with that roster and the local star goalie Andree in nets.

The two big names on the current roster from that team were Jack Beck and Cam Tolnai who both played very minor roles two years ago. Tyler Boucher is a big name but his midseason addition to a 7th place team hasn’t gotten all that much extra buzz in the market.

I am confident in saying that the 67’s were easily the most screwed team in the league from COVID.
I agree.

I was not surprised about the small crowd given all of the above.
I have to say, the games down the stretch and in the playoffs have been really entertaining, despite some of the results. Some North Bay fans beside me were commenting the same thing, and they were at the 2 playoff games in NB as well.

Also keep in mind that, under good circumstances, we got some good crowds in March and April.
The March Break day games were a big success, and we got close to 6000 in one of the last regular season games.

So not too worried. Given the team plays hard, is entertaining, and we project to be pretty good next year with vast majority of returning players, I think we will get weekend playoff games (as higher seeds) and attendance will be more like in the playoff run of 2019-20.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I’d say Oshawa & Missasauga were the top contenders for the cancelled season. The Petes & ‘67s missed an opportunity to re-tool, but not the ‘most screwed’ imo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
People also need to remember the team got screwed when they redeveloped Lansdowne Park. When they tried to return to the normal Friday Night and Sunday afternoon home games, the tenant's in the new development all complained about no parking for their own customers and not enough business was generated for the 67’s games. People weren’t going to the restaurants etc like they would for the football games. So, the 67’s decided to scrap the Friday nights and go with Saturday afternoons. That decimated season tickets. That was the nail in the coffin for most adults. Who wants to go to a hockey game on a Saturday afternoon? So, it was all about attracting kids and single game or group tickets which means there is no consistent following. When the playoffs come around, you don’t have FANS. You have empty seats because they lose group sales and free kids tickets etc.

On top of that, who wants to go to games on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon? How do you get shit done on the weekend? The 67’s became an afterthought for OSEG and remain an afterthought.

If the 67’s have a product worth while going to where the players are identifiable and generating interest organically because they are winning, MAYBE they get some decent crowds. But, the days of 9000+ in the stands are gone. Those days will never come back without the Friday night games. So, now I just get the CHL package and watch them on TV. I watch the replays when they play Saturday afternoons if I have time. I prefer when they have the road games because the games are on Friday nights most weeks.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Friday was hockey night with them being the only game in town and the only good thing about Sunday was that the team they played was tired.
Season ticket holders would come to the games, but the Sunday walk-up was non-existent. Especially this time of year.

Like in a lot of cities, fans will come out if the team is winning. They will not come out on a weeknight as kids have school and they have work the next day.

As to the Euro draft while I think we will have a good team next year, we are not going to be looking for a league championship.

The idea is to develop players, so drafting a 17-year-old is the better option.

Any 18 19-year-old that we could draft has already been passed over by the NHL; therefore, they will stay and play locally in the men's leagues and make money. Anyone that is avail at that age is not going to help us.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
A question: Is the rule that you can only sign 2 Euro players, or is it that you can only draft 2 euro.

What I am thinking and this would not necessarily be fair to Gaidamak was the 67s could draft one of the projected first-round picks and if they do not report then play Gaidamak.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The rule used to be you can only draft a 3rd import if one of your import was taken in the first round (NHL). Not sure if this has been changed or is still the rule.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The rule used to be you can only draft a 3rd import if one of your import was taken in the first round (NHL). Not sure if this has been changed or is still the rule.
Now it is any drafted import player means you can pick a third. You can only sign 2 and if another 1 is returned then you have 14 days to release 1 to get down to 2. London went through this a few years back, made a deal with Flint.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
A question: Is the rule that you can only sign 2 Euro players, or is it that you can only draft 2 euro.

What I am thinking and this would not necessarily be fair to Gaidamak was the 67s could draft one of the projected first-round picks and if they do not report then play Gaidamak.
The IceDogs did the opposite but simlar thing.

In 2020 they drafted Danil Gushchin who was a 3rd rd pick of the Sharks. They weren't sure that he would report after the cancelled season so they drafted Rodwin Dionicio as well as Alex Graham in the 2021 import draft.

Unfortunately, with both Dionicio and Graham at camp in Niagara the Sharks assigned Gushchin to the IceDogs which meant Graham had to leave and returned to Britain. If Gushchin had not reported Graham would have stayed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I’d like to see the design but the reality is, the 67’s are now done being relevant. As mentioned previously, their fans don’t participate in the surrounding amenities pre or post game to any significant degree; therefore, their game schedules will continue to be in less prime periods like weekend afternoons. They cannot build a regular following with that game plan.

If the City were investing that kind of $$$, it would be better suited pulling the arena out of that location and build a rink in a more accessible location that doesn’t conflict so much with the other businesses. IMO, the City and OSEG should seriously consider demolishing the existing stands and rebuild the stands. Take $75mil of the $330 and build a new rink and partner with a Private Sector company and build a multi pad facility similar to wha many of the other OHL Cities have done over recent years.

Continuing to invest in the Ottawa 67’s at Lansdowne is a waste of time and $$$.

It may be a decent idea to link it with the downtown NHL rink proposal in some manner. Make it part of the redevelopment, whether at that site or another. Ottawa has the ability to fill 9000+ seats provided the schedule were to be more agreeable and the location were more accessible. With the monorail continuing to expand etc, maybe somewhere along that line would be beneficial in some way?

I dont’ have an answer but I am 100% certain that the 67’s at Lansdowne Park is done. That experiment is over. It is a conflict with the existing retailers and hospitality outlets and OSEG decided to side with the outlets and relegate the 67’s to afterthought status.

Reactions: three dog night

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
I’d like to see the design but the reality is, the 67’s are now done being relevant. As mentioned previously, their fans don’t participate in the surrounding amenities pre or post game to any significant degree; therefore, their game schedules will continue to be in less prime periods like weekend afternoons. They cannot build a regular following with that game plan.

If the City were investing that kind of $$$, it would be better suited pulling the arena out of that location and build a rink in a more accessible location that doesn’t conflict so much with the other businesses. IMO, the City and OSEG should seriously consider demolishing the existing stands and rebuild the stands. Take $75mil of the $330 and build a new rink and partner with a Private Sector company and build a multi pad facility similar to wha many of the other OHL Cities have done over recent years.

Continuing to invest in the Ottawa 67’s at Lansdowne is a waste of time and $$$.

It may be a decent idea to link it with the downtown NHL rink proposal in some manner. Make it part of the redevelopment, whether at that site or another. Ottawa has the ability to fill 9000+ seats provided the schedule were to be more agreeable and the location were more accessible. With the monorail continuing to expand etc, maybe somewhere along that line would be beneficial in some way?

I dont’ have an answer but I am 100% certain that the 67’s at Lansdowne Park is done. That experiment is over. It is a conflict with the existing retailers and hospitality outlets and OSEG decided to side with the outlets and relegate the 67’s to afterthought status.
One observation though... I haven't been to too many OHL games outside of Ottawa, but I have seen the one in Mississauga and it is exactly :

"new rink and partner with a Private Sector company and build a multi pad facility similar to what many of the other OHL Cities have done over recent years"

It is a nice facility, but it not helping the Steelheads attendance wise...

I have also been to games in Kingston and London (although London was quite a few years ago).
Not much difference between the facilities and location in their respective cities; the difference there are the team's success.

Part of the attraction for me of Lansdowne is the location. I am home after the game faster then I could get out of the CTC parking lot (back when the SENS were attracting decent crowds).

However I do like the idea ok linking with the NHL facility downtown, but:
- what are the odds that would happen?
- the 67s would be even more of an afterthought there after scheduling everything else (NHL, Concerts, etc); that would make the regular Friday schedule even less likely

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
How has Stonehouse looked this year for your squad ( sorry haven't followed your board)
A kid that impressed me in the Alliance his MB year the few times I saw him play.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Lots of pick swaps happening. Petes have traded two seconds for future picks. No moves by the poles yet, hopefully Boyd can deal at least one of those seconds for futures.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
One observation though... I haven't been to too many OHL games outside of Ottawa, but I have seen the one in Mississauga and it is exactly :

"new rink and partner with a Private Sector company and build a multi pad facility similar to what many of the other OHL Cities have done over recent years"

It is a nice facility, but it not helping the Steelheads attendance wise...

I have also been to games in Kingston and London (although London was quite a few years ago).
Not much difference between the facilities and location in their respective cities; the difference there are the team's success.

Part of the attraction for me of Lansdowne is the location. I am home after the game faster then I could get out of the CTC parking lot (back when the SENS were attracting decent crowds).

However I do like the idea ok linking with the NHL facility downtown, but:
- what are the odds that would happen?
- the 67s would be even more of an afterthought there after scheduling everything else (NHL, Concerts, etc); that would make the regular Friday schedule even less likely

Part of linking it with a downtown arena isn’t for the 67’s to play in the NHL arena. It is about linking funding for that NHL Arena with them also building a downtown area Rink for the 67’s that “may” also include a multi pad facility.

Another option could be in the south end with all the development going on with the Casino around Albion. Extensions for the Monorail as well.

To me, the key is Friday night games. They need to return to that to have any sort of success. We are the ONLY team in the OHL that plays Saturday afternoon games. It is rather pathetic.

Mississauga has their own issues. We need to remember that Mississauga NEVER had attendance regardless of success on ice. Ottawa sold out the Civic Centre and had average nightly attendance between 7000-10000 between the time Hunt took over the team up until they relocated to Kanata for the Lansdowne Park redevelopment. It is not like the 67’s NEVER had the attendance. They’ve demonstrated the ability to fill 7000+ seats continually for many years.

I’ve had conversations with Jeff personally and the issue is quite simple. The 67’s fans didn’t take the opportunity to enjoy the amenities pre and post game in the same way as the Red Blacks. All they did was occupy parking which was killing the other outlets on Friday Home nights. They had no choice but to shift them away from evening games and move them to weekend afternoons. Even weeknights weren’t much of an option from a parking management situation with respect to the negative effects for the other outlets. This is right from the horses mouth.

So, as long as the 67’s are located at Lansdowne, they are screwed. The 67’s management has done nothing to try to promote cross marketing for the 67’s and the other outlets. In fact, they shifted to family only which doesn’t have the disposable income to spend on restaurants every hockey game. Maybe they buy a hotdog or ice cream at the game but they aren’t going to Joey’s or Milestones pre or post game. They’ve just mitigated the risk of negative effects for the other outlets.

Bussing in and out of Lansdowne in the middle of winter isn’t ideal either. This is why I think something along one of the Light Rail routes makes sense.

Another option would simply be to develop a Junior Rink in Kanata on the current Canadian Tire Place grounds. Maybe chopping the top half off would be possible for a 8000 seat rink. Then when the Sens leave for downtown, Kanata has the 67’s to replace the Sens. It’s not like the 67’s didn’t do well when they were in Kanata. I think the crowds there were better than they’ve been since the return to Lansdowne. They can develop a new fan base out there.

Loads of potential options but the one option that really doesn’t work at all is Lansdowne. That experiment has been done and the new landscape doesn’t support the 67’s at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad