Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
maybe I am old and heartless but injuries happen often why are they canceling the games yes it was a bad injury but the kid is stable and doing well not likely to be playing for a while. Why are they canceling games?
99.999999999% of injuries are not life threatening. If you were in the building last night you would understand. Teenagers healing emotionally is more important than a game right now.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
99.999999999% of injuries are not life threatening. If you were in the building last night you would understand. Teenagers healing emotionally is more important than a game right now.
And in this case, had it not been an OHL game (with trainers and doctors on hand), he would likely be dead. To reschedule the game is no big deal, under the circumstances.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This team is on one heck of a roll! Ten in a row. The East is looking like an Ottawa/Peterborough showdown unless Sudbury can add a high end goalie like Daws.

Yes. The gap in the East is really started to widen. Ottawa and Peterborough are separating themselves. It is going to be really difficult for any other team to simply add one player and think that will be enough because you have to think Ottawa and Peterborough will add 1 or 2 significant pieces.

The West is much different right now. Six points separates first and sixth. You have to think Guelph is not going to dump the remainder of their draft capital on this season. Same goes for Kitchener and Windsor. That leaves Saginaw, Flint and London as the three real potential buyers.

Even though I say Guelph isn't a buyer, they may not sell. Daws is doing very well. They may decide to see if a hot goalie is enough to get it done in the West.

So, it looks like 5 potential buyers right now. The real question is how many potential sellers are there? You have to think the bottom five in the East are selling. Hamilton may keep Kaliev though. The bottom four int he West will probably sell as well. Kitchener may sell an OA if it makes sense on the return but I think they will mostly hold their players.

We are getting down to the nitty-gritty right now. I'm surprised no one has done anything of significance yet. Usually one team jumps the gun in mid-December before the trade freeze.

We'll see if anyone gets something done this week. Oshawa with Noel may be the first shoe to drop.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Really I think there are only 3 teams that are going to be sellers. As much as Kingston and NB would like to make deals they really do not have anything to offer another team.
The Petes got lucky with Hunter Jones not making the WJC team.
It will be interesting to see how Guelph does without Daws and if he plays any games how he is after the tournament. Last year we were lucky that we could DiPietro some time off because we had a good goalie to back him up.

I believe there is a trade block right now so nothing will get done until after boxing day. Teams like Oshawa are probably going to wait until someone pulls the pin on a deal or they get an offer they can not refuse.

I

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Really I think there are only 3 teams that are going to be sellers. As much as Kingston and NB would like to make deals they really do not have anything to offer another team.
The Petes got lucky with Hunter Jones not making the WJC team.
It will be interesting to see how Guelph does without Daws and if he plays any games how he is after the tournament. Last year we were lucky that we could DiPietro some time off because we had a good goalie to back him up.

I believe there is a trade block right now so nothing will get done until after boxing day. Teams like Oshawa are probably going to wait until someone pulls the pin on a deal or they get an offer they can not refuse.

I
I believe the xmas freeze will probably be next Saturday until Dec. 27. I know North Bay have a couple of players who teams might be interested in such as Luke Moncada and Brad Chenier.

As far as Kingston goes maybe Dawson Baker, Nick King or Lucas Perric.

Not elite, but players who could contribute to your team and add much needed depth for a long playoff run.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yes. The gap in the East is really started to widen. Ottawa and Peterborough are separating themselves. It is going to be really difficult for any other team to simply add one player and think that will be enough because you have to think Ottawa and Peterborough will add 1 or 2 significant pieces.

The West is much different right now. Six points separates first and sixth. You have to think Guelph is not going to dump the remainder of their draft capital on this season. Same goes for Kitchener and Windsor. That leaves Saginaw, Flint and London as the three real potential buyers.

Even though I say Guelph isn't a buyer, they may not sell. Daws is doing very well. They may decide to see if a hot goalie is enough to get it done in the West.

So, it looks like 5 potential buyers right now. The real question is how many potential sellers are there? You have to think the bottom five in the East are selling. Hamilton may keep Kaliev though. The bottom four int he West will probably sell as well. Kitchener may sell an OA if it makes sense on the return but I think they will mostly hold their players.

We are getting down to the nitty-gritty right now. I'm surprised no one has done anything of significance yet. Usually one team jumps the gun in mid-December before the trade freeze.

We'll see if anyone gets something done this week. Oshawa with Noel may be the first shoe to drop.
Yes was thinking the same this week that the trade market is slow to develop. I wonder if its because of how tight it is in the west and some teams still on the fence. I suspect the Petes and us have been actively trying to make deals to beat the rush but the decided sellers might be waiting for more bidders. By this time last year already had big trades...Dipietro, Stuxnicka.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'll admit that initially, I wondered why they canceled the weekend games as well, but after thinking it through I understood. I wasn't there, obviously, but I gather that it was quite a scene, and I can understand why the kids would have been pretty shaken and not exactly looking to get on a bus away from their buddy to go on a road trip.

I saw from the Ice Dogs' Twitter feed today that the kid is now on his feet via crutches, which was terrific news. This all could have gone very badly - thank God for the trainers, paramedics, doctors and nurses who worked together to save this young man's life...

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Just thinking out loud here.

Hayton has been loaned to the Canadian Junior team, Arizona has said he is going back there, but I think there is a good chance he goes back to SSM. Matier is from the Soo so a trade there would be a good fit. Not sure what it would take to make it happen. 6 seconds (not including 2020 Hamilton pick this year which would be high) and 5 thirds available.

Matier + x2nds + x 3rds for Hayton.

or

Matier + Tolnai + x 2nds + x3rds for Hayton and La Guerierre

Would we have picks enough left for Mutter from Hamilton?

Keating / Rossi / Gareffa
Quinn / Hayton / Clarke
Mutter / Hoelscher / Varga
Crete / Tourigny / Johnston
Yule
(not sure Robinson would be back)

Hoef / La Guerierre
Bahl / Rippon (Belanger)
Okhotyuk / Belanger(Rippon)
Constantini

La Guerierre is from Ottawa, good O/A candidate (5th round pick by MTL).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'll admit that initially, I wondered why they canceled the weekend games as well, but after thinking it through I understood. I wasn't there, obviously, but I gather that it was quite a scene, and I can understand why the kids would have been pretty shaken and not exactly looking to get on a bus away from their buddy to go on a road trip.

I saw from the Ice Dogs' Twitter feed today that the kid is now on his feet via crutches, which was terrific news. This all could have gone very badly - thank God for the trainers, paramedics, doctors and nurses who worked together to save this young man's life...

At the end of the day, how much trouble is it to reschedule a game? Not much.

If we err on the side of caution and the inconvenience isn't much, why not postpone it.

Better to get it wrong that way than suffer significant backlash getting it wrong by continuing the schedule.

Beast made an arguement based on how things were handled in the past and he's not wrong to have that opinion. Looking back and Kovacevic's injury or even Grant Marshall's injury, no games were postponed.

But, a lot has changed in hockey and the World in general. With that comes changes in approach that would have seemed very trivial 20 years ago.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Just thinking out loud here.

Hayton has been loaned to the Canadian Junior team, Arizona has said he is going back there, but I think there is a good chance he goes back to SSM. Matier is from the Soo so a trade there would be a good fit. Not sure what it would take to make it happen. 6 seconds (not including 2020 Hamilton pick this year which would be high) and 5 thirds available.

Matier + x2nds + x 3rds for Hayton.

or

Matier + Tolnai + x 2nds + x3rds for Hayton and La Guerierre

Would we have picks enough left for Mutter from Hamilton?

Keating / Rossi / Gareffa
Quinn / Hayton / Clarke
Mutter / Hoelscher / Varga
Crete / Tourigny / Johnston
Yule
(not sure Robinson would be back)

Hoef / La Guerierre
Bahl / Rippon (Belanger)
Okhotyuk / Belanger(Rippon)
Constantini

La Guerierre is from Ottawa, good O/A candidate (5th round pick by MTL).

Similar trades that come to mind are Robert Thomas, who got the first rounder with 4 2nds and 1 3rd. Then Gabe Vilardi and Sean Day got the first rounder along with 6 2nds and 2 3rds. Hayton is the best player in the league and would be worth pretty much anything that the 67's pay.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Similar trades that come to mind are Robert Thomas, who got the first rounder with 4 2nds and 1 3rd. Then Gabe Vilardi and Sean Day got the first rounder along with 6 2nds and 2 3rds. Hayton is the best player in the league and would be worth pretty much anything that the 67's pay.

London Knights trade Robert Thomas to Hamilton as sell-off of veterans continues

Robert Thomas was traded for the 1st rounder (McMichael), 2 seconds and a condiditional third that was to become (and did) a second if Hamilton won the OHL. The other 2 seconds never vested as he didn't return for his 19 year old year.

I would do that trade in a second from Ottawa's side to add Hayton, as he might be the piece to put them over the top. I'd add another second and third for Leguerrier as he'd be a great fit to the blueline.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Can someone explain to me why Hoefenmayer didn't get an NHL contract in the off-season? As a Coyotes fan, I was surprised they didn't sign him. Was it a character issue or something about his game that doesn't project at the NHL level?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
London Knights trade Robert Thomas to Hamilton as sell-off of veterans continues

Robert Thomas was traded for the 1st rounder (McMichael), 2 seconds and a condiditional third that was to become (and did) a second if Hamilton won the OHL. The other 2 seconds never vested as he didn't return for his 19 year old year.

I would do that trade in a second from Ottawa's side to add Hayton, as he might be the piece to put them over the top. I'd add another second and third for Leguerrier as he'd be a great fit to the blueline.

I have my doubts that the Greyhounds would consider an offer like that for Hayton, as McMichael was a much higher pick than Matier. Another trade to consider is the Taylor Raddysh and Jordan Sambrook deal where the Otters got a late first rounder like Matier along with 5 2nds, 2 3rds, and 2 6ths.

That would certainly be the starting point for Hayton and LeGuerrier, considering that Hayton is a better player. I think it would be reasonably fair for all sides.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have my doubts that the Greyhounds would consider an offer like that for Hayton, as McMichael was a much higher pick than Matier. Another trade to consider is the Taylor Raddysh and Jordan Sambrook deal where the Otters got a late first rounder like Matier along with 5 2nds, 2 3rds, and 2 6ths.

That would certainly be the starting point for Hayton and LeGuerrier, considering that Hayton is a better player. I think it would be reasonably fair for all sides.

If Hayton were to return, he'd be considered probably the top centre in the league.

Again, Ottawa doesn't need the top centre in the league. We have one averaging 2.5 points per game.

There are other areas Ottawa needs more help and spreading those assets over a couple positions would be more responsible.

This is no disrespect against Hayton. It just makes more sense for Ottawa to find some grit, balance and leadership spread over 2 or 3 more players strategically placed throughout the lineup.

If Hayton does get returned, he will probably go for a 2019 first and three 2nds but it will depend greatly on the projection of the first rounder. The picks will slide up and down depending on that.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
If Hayton were to return, he'd be considered probably the top centre in the league.

Again, Ottawa doesn't need the top centre in the league. We have one averaging 2.5 points per game.

There are other areas Ottawa needs more help and spreading those assets over a couple positions would be more responsible.

This is no disrespect against Hayton. It just makes more sense for Ottawa to find some grit, balance and leadership spread over 2 or 3 more players strategically placed throughout the lineup.

If Hayton does get returned, he will probably go for a 2019 first and three 2nds but it will depend greatly on the projection of the first rounder. The picks will slide up and down depending on that.

We had a #1 and #1A centre last year who were putting up a lot of points. We could have had Suzuki, but chose not to. Suzuki absolutely buried us in the finals. Sometimes trading for someone is not what you really need but you keep them away from another team so not to hurt you. Look at London in 2005 who lost seven games all year and what they did at the deadline. Columbus sent Fritsche back to Sarnia and London traded for him. They didn't need him, but it kept him away from other teams.

Our second power play unit is useless. We are really only getting production from Rossi's line. Bringing in a guy like Hayton to have a 1 and 1A line, who do you match your checking line against. Hoelscher, in my mind is a third line centre, which is no disrespect to him. I think that is the role that he flourishes in. That would also balance out the scoring a little, as well.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Can someone explain to me why Hoefenmayer didn't get an NHL contract in the off-season? As a Coyotes fan, I was surprised they didn't sign him. Was it a character issue or something about his game that doesn't project at the NHL level?

Zero character flaws . I 'd imagine its simply his skating. All facets, from the stride to agility. Game at the next level is 100x faster

Reactions: BarberPole9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad