Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just think about what a massive boost Clarke's return will provide. It will be like making a blockbuster trade at the deadline, but not having to give anything up.

It's great, I know. Unfortunately, we probably won't know if and when he will return by the time the deadline rolls around. He'll also have had upwards of 6 months off so he'll be rusty.

If Clarke returns prior to the end of the regular season, great. If he returns any time after the 1st round, it will be tough for him to make an impact.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good but we definitely need a second line.

We really need to add a player to ride shotgun with Hoelscher and Quinn. They've tried just about everyone at this point and no one has made an impact.

This is one of the things that concerns me. There is zero offence from everyone past our top 5 forwards. No one is stepping up. They are all working hard and mostly taking care of their own end so they aren't hurting us. So, that is good.

The problem is we at least need two lines that can produce regularly. Maybe Belanger can jump back up there when Rippon and Okhotyuk are back.

We do need that 3rd line centre though. The problem is even if we get that, the wingers can't score so I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.

It is a good thing the first line scores three goals per game.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
We really need to add a player to ride shotgun with Hoelscher and Quinn. They've tried just about everyone at this point and no one has made an impact.

This is one of the things that concerns me. There is zero offence from everyone past our top 5 forwards. No one is stepping up. They are all working hard and mostly taking care of their own end so they aren't hurting us. So, that is good.

The problem is we at least need two lines that can produce regularly. Maybe Belanger can jump back up there when Rippon and Okhotyuk are back.

We do need that 3rd line centre though. The problem is even if we get that, the wingers can't score so I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.

It is a good thing the first line scores three goals per game.
Yes Belanger has been our best in-house option on the second line. He's got the speed and skill to keep up with the other two. As for secondary scoring assuming Clarke comes back early enough to get his timing back ( I heard from a good source that his rehab is going very well so it's likely he'll be back in March) that we need to get at least two forwards. I'd like to see us add size too so as you pointed out we might not need an Akil Thomas but rather two mid tier acquisitions.
So lines could look like this
Keats/Rossi/Gareffa
Acquisition/Hoelscher/Quinn
Belanger/Acquisition/Clarke
Yule/Tolnai/Varga
Of course Tolnai, Belanger could be in play if we go after bigger fish...we shall see.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes Belanger has been our best in-house option on the second line. He's got the speed and skill to keep up with the other two. As for secondary scoring assuming Clarke comes back early enough to get his timing back ( I heard from a good source that his rehab is going very well so it's likely he'll be back in March) that we need to get at least two forwards. I'd like to see us add size too so as you pointed out we might not need an Akil Thomas but rather two mid tier acquisitions.
So lines could look like this
Keats/Rossi/Gareffa
Acquisition/Hoelscher/Quinn
Belanger/Acquisition/Clarke
Yule/Tolnai/Varga
Of course Tolnai, Belanger could be in play if we go after bigger fish...we shall see.

Yeah, I think there are some variables still ay play right now.

First, Tolnai has 1 goal and 3 assists. That ties him with Teddy Sawyer, our #6 15 year old D-Man who only plays because of the injuroes on the back end. I am beginning to think this season is a complete write-off for Tolnai offensively. ETA had said he couldn't see Tolnai garnering any trade value being this is his 2nd year and I am now inclined to agree.

Second, if Belanger can fill the role on the wing with Hoelscher and Quinn, why trade him to get a 19 year old that fills that roll? Sure, maybe we'd benefit quarter goal per game overall but it seems a steep price to pay to acquire that.

So, if Tolnai has no perceived value and trading Belanger is only a small upgrade (assuming he gets pushed forward), I am not sure what kind of deals we can truly make with just draft picks.

I was hoping kids like Crete and Tolnai would have shown better. To be fair, Crete has played with much more confidence and force the last few weeks. But 7 points isn't enough to be used as a centrepiece for any deals.

It may be difficult to make deals that make sense at this point without dealing Matier. I just don't think we need the types of players Matier would be required for. Maybe we do circle back to that Guelph proposal for Gogo and Hillis? I like Hillis and think he'd be a good fit. I just don't think using Matier for him is responsible but if Gogo were included in that deal and we added a couple picks, maybe it would make more sense.

I'm more confused this year than past years. We'll have to see what happens when the first couple of deals are made.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Agree about Belanger. He seemed to be lighting it up in his time at forward. He might even have higher pro potential there. I'd plug him back in there in the new year. Tolnai's complete inability to put any points on the board despite plenty of opportunities is the confounding factor, trade-wise. He really has no value. Getting Clarke back for the stretch run/playoffs might be see as acquiring a sniper at the deadline I suppose. I wouldn't trade Matier as he really seems like a future foundational D on the team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree about Belanger. He seemed to be lighting it up in his time at forward. He might even have higher pro potential there. I'd plug him back in there in the new year. Tolnai's complete inability to put any points on the board despite plenty of opportunities is the confounding factor, trade-wise. He really has no value. Getting Clarke back for the stretch run/playoffs might be see as acquiring a sniper at the deadline I suppose. I wouldn't trade Matier as he really seems like a future foundational D on the team.

Here's the problem right now. Hypothertically speaking, we get Clarke back in time. If we don't acquire a dynamic centre, who does he play with? Clearly you'd put him with Hoelscher and Quinn. But if Belanger is capable in that spot, are you gaining much? Sure, Clarke is more of a sniper so the answer is yes but what do you do with Belanger? Clealry you push him to the 3rd line or shift him back to defence.

The point is, Clarke returning isn't injecting a 40 goal scorer. It is injecting the difference in offence between him and Belanger.

If we acquire the 3rd line centre that has offensive ability, you can keep Belanger with the 2nd line and plug Clarke in on the 3rd line. You are now getting a significant infusion.

Either way, it looks to me like we need a centre that can produce offensively. Hopefully we can snag one at a price that makes sense.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As i have too much time on my hands today did a bit of research on who we might be able to acquire. Limited it to center/left wing 19y.o as those are our needs imo. Also did not consider the top tier of players as it would cost too much and I don't think we need them to win (although it would be nice! They include for me. Hayton(if back), Thomas, Tomasino, Kaliyev and Noel. Also ruled out imports and OA's.Here's what I see as second tier options where the price might be reasonable and limited to teams that might sell at the deadline.
Center in order of preference
1-A. Mcshane 11,19,30pts Oshawa
2-C.Hillis 10,29,39 guelph
3-T. Angle 14,16,30 windsor
4-B.Kirwin 14,15,29 owen sound
5-C.Douglas 11,13,24 windsor
The last two and Mcshane would give us a bit of size as a bonus.

Left wing
1- P. Gogolev 16,26,42pts Guelph
2-M.Golod 12,24,36 Erie
3-K. Stevenson 10,8,18 Guelph
4-R.Whittaker 9,12,21 Missy
5-Z. Trott 8,19,27 Soo
I personally really like Stevenson and think he would fit well with Quinn,Hoelscher due to his size. Liked what I saw in the final last year.
So for me I'd be comfortable if we end up with Mcshane and Stevenson and the price would be affordable imo. It would help if my Habs sign Mcshane then Oshawa might be more willing to deal him if it looks he doesn't have an OA year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
McShane isn't available. The Generals are reasonably certain he will return for an OA year or are at least willing to roll the dice.

I cannot see Windsor selling this year. Angle would line up as an OA almost for certain. Douglas may as well (50-50).

I would also add Dudas to that list of centres. I know he is small but he's shifty and can make plays. He'd be a good disher of the puck for Clarke.

Stevenson seems to be more of a North-South player. I'm not sure he's a good fit.

To me, both Hillis and Dudas should be available for a reasonable return that wouldn't include Matier. If we could acquire one of those two and pair them with Clarke when he returns, I think we'd be in decent shape. If we can also add a winger, all the better.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
McShane isn't available. The Generals are reasonably certain he will return for an OA year or are at least willing to roll the dice.

I cannot see Windsor selling this year. Angle would line up as an OA almost for certain. Douglas may as well (50-50).

I would also add Dudas to that list of centres. I know he is small but he's shifty and can make plays. He'd be a good disher of the puck for Clarke.

Stevenson seems to be more of a North-South player. I'm not sure he's a good fit.

To me, both Hillis and Dudas should be available for a reasonable return that wouldn't include Matier. If we could acquire one of those two and pair them with Clarke when he returns, I think we'd be in decent shape. If we can also add a winger, all the better.
For Mcshane you're right he'd only be available if it looks he's not back but I just like his game, plays the right way. Stevenson is a north/south guy but I think it would open things up for Quinn/Hoelscher and I would like to add size to our forward group. Dudas is a very good player I could live with him but we would need a defensively adept left wing if he plays with Clarke. Both Angle and Douglas are drafted but I don't know if they've been signed. A bit like Mcshane if they are or are signed they will be more likely to be traded. Anyway a lot of possibilities. We will know how it shakes out in about a month.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For Mcshane you're right he'd only be available if it looks he's not back but I just like his game, plays the right way. Stevenson is a north/south guy but I think it would open things up for Quinn/Hoelscher and I would like to add size to our forward group. Dudas is a very good player I could live with him but we would need a defensively adept left wing if he plays with Clarke. Both Angle and Douglas are drafted but I don't know if they've been signed. A bit like Mcshane if they are or are signed they will be more likely to be traded. Anyway a lot of possibilities. We will know how it shakes out in about a month.

Angle was a 2019 draft so they have his rights another year. Since he was drafted a lot deeper, I doubt they'd use one of their 50 contracts on him.

Douglas is intriguing to say the least. A really big kid. I'd almost be more willing to have him play with Keats and Rossi to open lanes and dig for pucks and then drill Grreffa down to play with Hoelscher and Quinn. I'm not sure Rossi "needs" two dynamic wingers to produce.

You are right though. It will be interesting to say the least.

There is starting to be three tiers settling in. Ottawa and Peterborough seem to be separating themselves from the pack. There's now a significant point gap there.

We know Oshawa is not going to traditionally buy. They may upgrade OA's or bring in talented 18 year olds like Tomassino but they won't go after 19 year olds. So no competition there for the types of players Ottawa is looking for.

That leaves Sudbury as the only other Eastern contender for 19 year old forwards.

Clearly London and Flint are in it. Most likely, so is Saginaw. All seem ready to buy.

Windsor and Guelph both are good enough to buy but we're not sure if they will step in the ring at all.

That leaves 5 buyers (Ottawa, Peterborough, Sudbury, London and Flint) and two maybe's (Guelph and Windsor). Everyone else is in some form of status quo or selling.

That is not a bad market if both Guelph and Windsor are status quo teams.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Angle was a 2019 draft so they have his rights another year. Since he was drafted a lot deeper, I doubt they'd use one of their 50 contracts on him.

Douglas is intriguing to say the least. A really big kid. I'd almost be more willing to have him play with Keats and Rossi to open lanes and dig for pucks and then drill Grreffa down to play with Hoelscher and Quinn. I'm not sure Rossi "needs" two dynamic wingers to produce.

You are right though. It will be interesting to say the least.

There is starting to be three tiers settling in. Ottawa and Peterborough seem to be separating themselves from the pack. There's now a significant point gap there.

We know Oshawa is not going to traditionally buy. They may upgrade OA's or bring in talented 18 year olds like Tomassino but they won't go after 19 year olds. So no competition there for the types of players Ottawa is looking for.

That leaves Sudbury as the only other Eastern contender for 19 year old forwards.

Clearly London and Flint are in it. Most likely, so is Saginaw. All seem ready to buy.

Windsor and Guelph both are good enough to buy but we're not sure if they will step in the ring at all.

That leaves 5 buyers (Ottawa, Peterborough, Sudbury, London and Flint) and two maybe's (Guelph and Windsor). Everyone else is in some form of status quo or selling.

That is not a bad market if both Guelph and Windsor are status quo teams.
6 buyers - Saginaw will be buyers.

Reactions: Finster8

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Why isn't Marco Rossi in Belarus? He hurt? Team tell him he couldn't go?

I know it's 1A, but if he played I'm positive he's good enough to have carried them to next year's main tournament.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's great, I know. Unfortunately, we probably won't know if and when he will return by the time the deadline rolls around. He'll also have had upwards of 6 months off so he'll be rusty.

If Clarke returns prior to the end of the regular season, great. If he returns any time after the 1st round, it will be tough for him to make an impact.

All fair points. IIRC, that is a "four to six month" recovery. (I think that Christian Wolanin of the Sens had the identical surgery about a month prior.) We are all assuming the best in terms of a recovery timeline, which isn't totally unreasonable given that he is an 18 year old athlete, but you just never know - everyone's recovery is different.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why isn't Marco Rossi in Belarus? He hurt? Team tell him he couldn't go?

I know it's 1A, but if he played I'm positive he's good enough to have carried them to next year's main tournament.

It's Austria. He decided to stay and concentrate on the 67s and clearly his statistics to maybe improve his draft position.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I could see Ottawa looking at bringing in Afanasyev from Windsor if they do decide to sell; I’m of the belief that Windsor will make a lateral move and trade one of Douglas/Angle also.

So if you can get Afanasyev and one of Douglas/Angle in a deal... I believe Ottawa should be all over it.
Of course you would be giving up one of Belanger/Tonali but that would be perfect for Ottawa.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I could see Ottawa looking at bringing in Afanasyev from Windsor if they do decide to sell; I’m of the belief that Windsor will make a lateral move and trade one of Douglas/Angle also.

So if you can get Afanasyev and one of Douglas/Angle in a deal... I believe Ottawa should be all over it.
Of course you would be giving up one of Belanger/Tonali but that would be perfect for Ottawa.

Considering we had Afanaseyev and traded him because we couldn’t sign him, I doubt he would now come here.

Part of me has serious interest in Douglas. But, considering the high tempo offensive game Ottawa plays, I think Dudas is a better fit.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Having a 3rd line that can score is not a huge issue if the 3rd line is a good checking defensive line that can keep the other teams top line off the score board. If you look at our last M Cup team they did not have a lot of offense but the plus/minus were out of this world

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Having a 3rd line that can score is not a huge issue if the 3rd line is a good checking defensive line that can keep the other teams top line off the score board. If you look at our last M Cup team they did not have a lot of offense but the plus/minus were out of this world

You have to score to get a "+"

Right now, the 3rd line is on pace for about 30 total points between them. That's not a lot of +'s....

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Looking at the future we seem to have two studs developing in tier 2
Sirizotti 18GP, 8, 17, 25
Gill-Shane 30GP , 7, 13,20
I have a friend who is involved in the cchl and he says great things about Gill. Has size, can skate and is showing offensive potential. We need to sign this kid!

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You have to score to get a "+"

Right now, the 3rd line is on pace for about 30 total points between them. That's not a lot of +'s....

No but even if they are a plus 8 that is still a good shut down line.

It is the 3rd line that gets 30 points and is only plus 1-5 that would worry me.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the future we seem to have two studs developing in tier 2
Sirizotti 18GP, 8, 17, 25
Gill-Shane 30GP , 7, 13,20
I have a friend who is involved in the cchl and he says great things about Gill. Has size, can skate and is showing offensive potential. We need to sign this kid!

We knew Sirizotti was a stud he just got caught up in the numbers game or he would have made the team.
Gill-Shane got caught in the same problem too many defence man. More need of forwards than a D.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No but even if they are a plus 8 that is still a good shut down line.

It is the 3rd line that gets 30 points and is only plus 1-5 that would worry me.

Right now, if you delete the top 6 forwards from the analysis, leaving:

Tolnai
Robinson
Varga
Beck
Sirizzotti
Johnston
Crete
Tourigny
Yule

They combine for 11 goals (Crete has 6) and a combined minus 8.

There is not one single player of consequence on that forward group right now that adds significant value. They are relatively interchangable parts. If you delete Crete and his 6 goals from that group, the rest have either zero or one goal and the worst Minus is -4 (Yule) and the best Plus is +1 (Tolnai and Johnston).

Maybe they don't really hurt you but they sure aren't helping.

If there are no changes, I cannot see a situation where this team advances against the Petes in a semi-final matchup. We cannot ask the top line to score 3 goals per game every game, especially deep in the playoffs.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Should we not be able to acquire someone like Thomas, Noel or Hayton, I hope we go after Dudas or Hillis as they should be more affordable.

In addition, I would like to see Luke Moncada or Daylon Groulx in a 67s uniform to compliment the 3rd line and add some grit. Both can also provide some much needed scoring to this line.

Other players should also be targeted, but I believe they could provide added value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad