Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpak

Feb 7, 2007
No chance they win in 5 games. 67's fans really are underestimating how good Guelph is in this thread. I find it rather shocking considering how much better the west is and how good the teams Guelph not only beat but came back against down big in the series. That on top of the 67's facing no adversity and having a long lay off. I can guarantee you Guelph feels like a team of destiny, they will never give up. I was really hoping for the 67's that Saginaw would win I am legit very worried. 67's havent faced a team remotely close to as good as Guelph is from a talent perspective and then you take into account how they have won its a scary thought.

For the 67's to win Kevin Bahl is the key, he is Ottawa's most important player, how he plays against Suzuki will be the key to the 67's series. The Hoelscher line will need to matchup against Guelphs top line and hopefully dont let them do too much damage. The depth scoring will need to be the difference and boy I hope Dipietro is better at home then he has been thus far in the playoffs, if he falters they better not hesitate to go to Andree.

I say 67's in 7 coming from behind in the series. Real worried about game 1.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the East came out ahead of the West head to head in points during the regular season. I know it was close. Just Sayin'.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the East came out ahead of the West head to head in points during the regular season. I know it was close. Just Sayin'.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good narrative.

I guess if Oshawa and Sudbury played in the West they would have been hard pressed to make the playoffs with all those bulldozers over there....

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
FWIW...
East Avg GF: 3.64, Avg GA: 3.58, Diff: +0.06
West Avg GF: 3.82, Avg GA: 3.87, Diff -0.05

Ottawa Avg GF: 4.35, Avg GA: 2.69, Diff +1.66
Guelph Avg GF: 4.53, Avg GA: 3.38, Diff +1.15

Offense in the West less than 5% higher, Defense/Goaltending in the East about 7.5% better. In any statistical analysis you throw out the high and low samples in this case making it virtually a dead heat.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
FWIW...
East Avg GF: 3.64, Avg GA: 3.58, Diff: +0.06
West Avg GF: 3.82, Avg GA: 3.87, Diff -0.05

Ottawa Avg GF: 4.35, Avg GA: 2.69, Diff +1.66
Guelph Avg GF: 4.53, Avg GA: 3.38, Diff +1.15

Offense in the West less than 5% higher, Defense/Goaltending in the East about 7.5% better. In any statistical analysis you throw out the high and low samples in this case making it virtually a dead heat.

Yes but the West teams primarily play West teams and East teams primarily play East teams. That is what the Western teams always say. If the level of competition in the West is higher, the Western teams statistics don’t measure up to the Eastern teams statistics.

For example, Guelph being a 90 point Western team is considered “ELITE” while Oshawa and Sudbury being 92 and 91 point teams are overrated. Ottawa has not faced this level of competition yet. Guelph beat Saginaw and London who are both far superior competition than Sudbury and Oshawa....blah blah blah

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Yes but the West teams primarily play West teams and East teams primarily play East teams. That is what the Western teams always say. If the level of competition in the West is higher, the Western teams statistics don’t measure up to the Eastern teams statistics.

For example, Guelph being a 90 point Western team is considered “ELITE” while Oshawa and Sudbury being 92 and 91 point teams are overrated. Ottawa has not faced this level of competition yet. Guelph beat Saginaw and London who are both far superior competition than Sudbury and Oshawa....blah blah blah

That's a good illusion for them to be under. Blah, blah, blah, indeed.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

In the end, the better team (Guelph or Ottawa) will be settled on the ice. I'm certainly not a Guelph fan but in their defense, that post-deadline Storm team is much better than their final point total suggests and that's why it's not fair to compare them with other teams in the league with similar point totals. Instead, consider their post-deadline record and playoff performance--they are the best in the West. That may or may not be enough to win the OHL championship but that will be answered in a week or so. Personally, I'd like to see Ottawa win but I have respect for what the Storm have accomplished. Should be a great final!

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
In the end, the better team (Guelph or Ottawa) will be settled on the ice. I'm certainly not a Guelph fan but in their defense, that post-deadline Storm team is much better than their final point total suggests and that's why it's not fair to compare them with other teams in the league with similar point totals. Instead, consider their post-deadline record and playoff performance--they are the best in the West. That may or may not be enough to win the OHL championship but that will be answered in a week or so. Personally, I'd like to see Ottawa win but I have respect for what the Storm have accomplished. Should be a great final!
And what everyone seems to be forgetting is that for a lot of the season the Storm played with 2 16 year olds and 3 associate players while the regulars were out with injuries. Our points totals may not have been as high as some teams but we got to the playoffs with grit and determination. Our team is healthy now and with a few key additions they are not the same team now as they were in the regular season. Good luck to both teams. It's going to be a good final.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

They did lose nine games in regulation and three in OT from Jan 1st on. It is not like they are World beaters. They have been underwhelming from a consistency perspective and that has carried over to the playoffs. Both Sudbury and Oshawa lost less games post Jan 1st.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
All teams had injuries, Ottawa was not exempt from that, played most of the season (to the deadline) with 3 regular 16 year olds. At deadline they were upgraded with 2 over agers and Elite (likely final year) goalie. There were 3 teams in the west and 2 in the east that positioned themselves to chase a Championship. Guelph knocked off the other 2 in Saginaw and London. Niagara was knocked off by an underdog in Oshawa so Ottawa hasn't really been battle tested, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. It should be a good series and exciting to watch.

Reactions: bert

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You know it is going to be a good series no matter what. The difference in this is not the first or the second lines it is going to be the 3rd and 4th lines.

What is going to make the difference is how each goalie can contend with the other team.

It is going to depend on whether Guelph can unlike the other teams in the OHL that we have faced can play a full 60 minutes of hard skating.

Can the 67's stay out of the penalty box.

To me whether or not Oshawa and Sudbury were deserving teams will be answered by how well Guelph can stop us.

I still think this is going to be a 5 game series with us losing one in Guelph and coming back mean and nasty for game 5 at home.

The other intangible is who is in better physical shape. Let's face it these teams are playing with injured layers although the rest the 67's have had should help.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Guelph played in the West Ottawa played in the East. That's pretty easy to explain.
That’s no longer the case at all, at least not overall. That’s an antiquated notion which will need to be revised. As mentioned, perhaps there is some truth to what you say but only after the trade deadline with London, Guelph and Saginaw’s additions. Aside from the Soo the rest of the teams defined mediocrity and are retooling.
For example, before the trade deadline the Wolves beat Guelph both times they played them, got a point in London and went 1-1 against Saginaw.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
And what everyone seems to be forgetting is that for a lot of the season the Storm played with 2 16 year olds and 3 associate players while the regulars were out with injuries. Our points totals may not have been as high as some teams but we got to the playoffs with grit and determination. Our team is healthy now and with a few key additions they are not the same team now as they were in the regular season. Good luck to both teams. It's going to be a good final.
Yes I agree the Guelph team today and their record during the regular season are two different animals for two primary reasons. One, as mentioned is the significant injuries they suffered and two (which is related) is the fact that the significant additions they made meant that time would likely be needed for them to gel and perform at their best. They’re doing that now. At least when facing elimination that is ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I think I’m in the minority here that believes Guelph would have lost if Saginaw never got into suspension problems.
I say no suspensions and Guelph would have been on vacation by now.

Reactions: beastintheeast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think I’m in the minority here that believes Guelph would have lost if Saginaw never got into suspension problems.

It's possible. Lennox played well. Murray being out hurt. Guelph won 4-0 and 5-1 in games 5 and 6. It is hard to blame the goalie in those ones when the team didn't score. Murray was back for game 7. The Spirit won the first game of those suspensions so it's not like they were adversely affected right away.

We won't ever know. Maybe psychologically they phased themselves out?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Did you watch the games? If you did I just don’t get how you could come to that conclusion but you’re entitled to your opinion of course. I’m sure it didn’t help their confidence but they won the very next game and in Guelph to boot. I’d venture to say Lennox kept a few of the games closer than they should have been. When Guelph turned it on, they clearly seemed like the better team. Simple as that and I for one, having watched both teams through the season wasn’t surprised. The only thing that surprised me was how they managed to get down three games.

Bottom line: Guelph’s best we’re the difference makers and Saginaw’s just couldn’t get it done. I’m talking mostly about their additions.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
T-21 hours or so and we are playing for the 'ship!!

Going to be a great crowd tomorrow, the 50/50 is a $20,000 guarantee. They have to set the tone early in this series.

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019

You make a good point but how much better would provestov have been. Lennox was playing absolutely amazing. The fact that Justin Murray was suspended. Ya, I could see an argument but to be honest I'm not sure it has that big of an impact. Maybe Provestov steals game 5 or 7 from Guelph again but it's hard to out due or even match what Lennox did. Cocky guy and a bit of a hot head, but I gotta give credit where credit is due and he is a great goalie. There was one of two things that would've happened with Lennox. He crumbles and shits the bed OR he stands on his head and proves how good he is. It happens almost every year in any league. A goalie comes in during the playoffs and shines. Look at Holtby, Halak, Matt Murray. Just a few of the many examples of goalies coming in and stepping up.

I do understand what you mean with the suspensions though. Murray shouldn't have gotten 4 games and Provestov got what he deserved tbh. Damiani did that earlier in the rule and got 5 games and I believe another got it too but i forget who did it. Puck over the glass after the whistle in junior hockey is 5 games. Kinda shitty but it's the rules.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You make a good point but how much better would provestov have been. Lennox was playing absolutely amazing. The fact that Justin Murray was suspended. Ya, I could see an argument but to be honest I'm not sure it has that big of an impact. Maybe Provestov steals game 5 or 7 from Guelph again but it's hard to out due or even match what Lennox did. Cocky guy and a bit of a hot head, but I gotta give credit where credit is due and he is a great goalie. There was one of two things that would've happened with Lennox. He crumbles and ****s the bed OR he stands on his head and proves how good he is. It happens almost every year in any league. A goalie comes in during the playoffs and shines. Look at Holtby, Halak, Matt Murray. Just a few of the many examples of goalies coming in and stepping up.

I do understand what you mean with the suspensions though. Murray shouldn't have gotten 4 games and Provestov got what he deserved tbh. Damiani did that earlier in the rule and got 5 games and I believe another got it too but i forget who did it. Puck over the glass after the whistle in junior hockey is 5 games. Kinda ****ty but it's the rules.

Good call on Lennox. I think he played really well. Was he Prosvetov good? No. But he was really good. When that suspension happened, I thought, “here we go...”. But it wasn’t like that at all.

Psychologically speaking, the loss of those two players may have had a negative effect of their approach and maybe even played tentatively offensively as well. We’ll never know. But, I don’t think Lennox was a negative factor at all. In fact, I think he played well enough that Saginaw should feel comfortable passing him the reigns next season.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
some seats are available in Section 18 and 22 upper all seats are being listed as obstructed view? Does anyone know why?

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
some seats are available in Section 18 and 22 upper all seats are being listed as obstructed view? Does anyone know why?
Could be because you can see the full ice surface from the upper levels but not the jumbo video screen due to the old luxury suites that hang down from the rafters. Just a guess. No matter where you sit though, the atmosphere of 8,000+ fans will be electric!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

The East has been embarrassingly bad for more than a decade so it's hard to blame fans for having that impression even though the West was only slightly better head to head this year. I hope we'll see some semblance of parity going forward.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Look at the overall stats all you want Ottawa had trouble with the best teams in the west and didnt in the east. That on top of knowing the player quality on those top west teams are simply better. I am a 67s fan but I cant ignore the elite talent on those teams. Ill repeat myself in saying I think the 67s pull it out in a long series where they come back. I just think the arrogance of saying i expect an easy 5 game win is frankly embarrassing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad