Proposal: OTT-WPG-CAR

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
To Winnipeg: Mark Stone (indicates he will re-sign), Brett Pesce

To Carolina: Matt Duchene (indicates he will re-sign)

To Ottawa: Jack Roslovic, Sami Niku, 1st 2019 OR Patrik Laine (indicates he will re-sign)

Winnipeg gets an affordable defenseman and plans to trade Trouba in the off-season. Gives up either futures or an underperforming Laine if they feel he is too expensive for what he has shown lately.

Carolina gets a #1C and gives up a defenseman, their owner has basically said he only cares about offensive and Carolina is stacked on D. Also helps with their playoff push this year.

Ottawa is a tire fire and goes into full rebuild mode while getting good value for their players OR gets a franchise player to make fans forget about the plethora of issues that Ottawa has as an organization and hopes that Laine is just going through a slump and gets a player who actually wants to be there.

Thoughts?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
If Stone will re-sign, then your suggestion of Jack Roslovic, Sami Niku, 1st 2019 would work for me, even though both of those players are needed by the Jets. However, a cap dump of Perreault would be nice if that could be fit in to cover part of Stone's salary.

Reactions: Sureves

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
If Stone will re-sign, then your suggestion of Jack Roslovic, Sami Niku, 1st 2019 would work for me, even though both of those players are needed by the Jets. However, a cap dump of Perreault would be nice if that could be fit in to cover part of Stone's salary.

Perhaps Carolina could take on Perrault, but I don't see Ottawa (Eugene) doing it.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga

To Ottawa: Jack Roslovic, Sami Niku, 1st 2019 OR Patrik Laine (indicates he will re-sign)

Winnipeg gets an affordable defenseman and plans to trade Trouba in the off-season. Gives up either futures or an underperforming Laine if they feel he is too expensive for what he has shown lately.

Carolina gets a #1C and gives up a defenseman, their owner has basically said he only cares about offensive and Carolina is stacked on D. Also helps with their playoff push this year.

Ottawa is a tire fire and goes into full rebuild mode while getting good value for their players OR gets a franchise player to make fans forget about the plethora of issues that Ottawa has as an organization and hopes that Laine is just going through a slump and gets a player who actually wants to be there.

Thoughts?
Oh my god. Someone please, please, please explain to me why Ottawa does this? Also what's a 2019 1st OR Laine?? That's a MASSIVE difference in value and most WPG fans wouldnt want Stone+Pesce for Laine alone. I mean, Carolina should be okay with it I'd think as long as Duchene resigns.

Reactions: north49er

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
A lot would depend on what Stone was extending for and what Laine was asking, but I like the add of Pesce.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets are not trading Laine. A package of 1st+Niku+Roslovic isn't interchangeable to Laine, like at all.

id give up Roslovic in a package for extended Stone or Duchene. Niku i am a bit hesitant on given the Jets defensive depth next year but Pesce mitigates that.

Last edited:

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Oh my god. Someone please, please, please explain to me why Ottawa does this? Also what's a 2019 1st OR Laine?? That's a MASSIVE difference in value and most WPG fans wouldnt want Stone+Pesce for Laine alone. I mean, Carolina should be okay with it I'd think as long as Duchene resigns.

It is only Laine that is being requested, it's either him or the earlier mentioned package, not him or a 1st.

Why Ottawa does this is in the OP: read it.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Quick question - Can you trade for Stone, and then sign him for 8 years? Or can it only be 7?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
It is only Laine that is being requested, it's either him or the earlier mentioned package, not him or a 1st.

Why Ottawa does this is in the OP: read it.
Well from what I'm taking in about it I've learned this. Ottawa is going to trade two top line players (an elite one in stone) that are both UFAs for a good dman, prospect thats shown nothing but positives, and a late 1st or a superstar that likely doesn't want to be there? Just to me if Ottawa trades these guys you have to think about a rebuild not a re-tool. I just don't think Ottawa trades both players in a 3 way trade if that's all they get in return. Hey, I don't care, weaken em I'm a leafs fan but I just think it's not enough.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
you sure about this?

Cause isn't one of the reasons why Florida was/is rumored to be looking to trade for Bob is to sign him for 8 years.
Positive.
The player needs to be on the roster for at least a year to be eligibile for an 8 yr contract. (not sure if it’s just 1 yr in general or 1 yr minimum at that yrs TDL), but positive it’s 1 yr minimum.
It’s rumored to be why Erik Karlsson hasn’t extended in SAN Jose yet. He will be at the 1 yr mark right after the TDL and can then get an 8 yr contract.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Positive.
The player needs to be on the roster for at least a year to be eligibile for an 8 yr contract. (not sure if it’s just 1 yr in general or 1 yr minimum at that yrs TDL), but positive it’s 1 yr minimum.
It’s rumored to be why Erik Karlsson hasn’t extended in SAN Jose yet. He will be at the 1 yr mark right after the TDL and can then get an 8 yr contract.

But you're wrong. They got him in September.

The real deal is, you have to be on a team at the most recent trade deadline to sign an 8 year deal. A team that traded for Stone before the trade deadline ... could sign him to an 8 year deal after the deadline. (This prevents teams 'trading for a pending UFA's rights' after the season is over and then trying to get 8 year deals).

San Jose can't sign Karlsson to an 8 year deal yet because they didn't have him at the last TDL. But you are right, they can once this TDL passes. For the same reason a Stone or Duchene acquiring team could.

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
But you're wrong. They got him in September.

The real deal is, you have to be on a team at the most recent trade deadline to sign an 8 year deal. A team that traded for Stone before the trade deadline ... could sign him to an 8 year deal after. (This prevents teams 'trading for a pending UFA's rights' after the season is over and then trying to get 8 year deals).

San Jose can't sign Karlsson to an 8 year deal yet because they didn't have him at the last TDL. But you are right, they can once this TDL passes. For the same reason a Stone or Duchene acquiring team could.

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.
Damn.... looks like I’m wrong....
Not the first time, and pretty sure it won’t be the last.
Thanks for the correction

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I what world does Roslovic + Niku + 1st = Stone (extended) and Pesce?

At least send Pesce to the Senators in this scenario.

Note: I doubt either play signs an extension before exploring Free Agency, and as such pieces like Pesce and Laine are pipe dreams.

Reactions: Steeler23

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You sure about this? I'm pretty certain that our management would trade Pesce for a signed Duchene given all their talk so far. No way a rental, but signed, yeah, they'd do it.

Yeah if they had an extended Duchene they would 100% trade Pesce for him.

Which begs the question, why is this a 3-way deal? Pesce is a good, young, cost controlled defenseman. Wouldn’t Ottawa be thrilled to get that for an expiring contract Duchene?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah if they had an extended Duchene they would 100% trade Pesce for him.

Which begs the question, why is this a 3-way deal? Pesce is a good, young, cost controlled defenseman. Wouldn’t Ottawa be thrilled to get that for an expiring contract Duchene?

Good point actually.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Thoughts?

Jets are not selling low on Laine. Delete that part of your proposal.

Jets are giving up quite a bit. I'd do it, with Stone signing. But I wouldn't add Perreault. He needs to move for cap reasons but has value. Not a cap dump. Could be added to either Ott or 'Canes for a 2nd in this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad