Claimed off Waivers: [OTT] Victor Mete claimed off waivers by the Senators from the Canadiens

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I watch pretty much every Habs game and I really disliked him. Credit where its due he has been pretty solid for the Senators. Skating the puck out, joining the rush. Seriously a great end of the season

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
After Chabot, Ottawa's best dmen were Rielly and Zaitsev, which is pretty bad. So its not surprising that Mete is a good add to their d-corps. However, he is not a legit top 4 D. He has decent defensive awareness, but is awful in front of the net and in puck battles (due to his size). The hope was that he could improve his offense, but that never really happened.

On the habs, he was easily behind Chariot, Weber, Petry, Edmundson, and Romanov.
The 6th spot was available for grab, but he still couldnt take it. Kulak was better and more consistent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What a find. Can't believe we got him for free. All the physical and defensive deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated. Then again, maybe he's playing hard since he's on a new team. We will get better indication next year.

But hard to ignore 25 mins last night and average ~23 minutes last 5 games and being vital piece of our breakout and penalty kill.

Reactions: Andrei79

Razor Face

Feb 17, 2020
After Chabot, Ottawa's best dmen were Rielly and Zaitsev, which is pretty bad. So its not surprising that Mete is a good add to their d-corps. However, he is not a legit top 4 D. He has decent defensive awareness, but is awful in front of the net and in puck battles (due to his size). The hope was that he could improve his offense, but that never really happened.

On the habs, he was easily behind Chariot, Weber, Petry, Edmundson, and Romanov.
The 6th spot was available for grab, but he still couldnt take it. Kulak was better and more consistent.

After Chabot Ottawa’s best dmen were Zub and Brannstrom.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Mete reminds me of Sven Andrighetto. Both guys played well at times in Montreal but fell out of favor, once they left they played great to end their seasons in shorter sample sizes.

I hope Mete is successful even though he is on Ottawa now, but it'll be interesting to see if he continues to play well next year or falls back.

Reactions: Just Linda

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

I love these kinds of posts - spoken so factually and yet almost every aspect of it is flat out wrong.

Ottawa's best D probably went something like Chabot > Zub > Brann > Mete/Zaitsev > Rielly > Brown > Gudbranson > Coburn.

The reality is, Mete played like a top 4 D in his time in Ottawa. On a team that literally just had I believe the 2nd best finish to end the season. Yes, he's probably just a stop-gap for Jake Sanderson, but he's much better than Habs fans are giving him credit for.

I understand when fans are bitter because they lost a player for nothing. I think they should be happy for the guy instead that he's going to have a pretty decent NHL career from the looks of it.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Ottawa's best D probably went something like Chabot > Zub > Brann > Mete/Zaitsev > Rielly > Brown > Gudbranson > Coburn.

There's no way that 23 minute a night in the toughest situations Zaitsev was worse than struggled on the 3rd pairing on and off all season Brannstrom or only played 10 games (many at 12 mins/GP) Mete. Zaitsev was 2nd or 3rd and even that is giving Zub a huge benefit of the doubt for minutes he never played and pressures that he was rarely asked to shoulder.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Rooting for Mete. He is a superb skater with a good stick. It wasn't working in Montreal towards the end but sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I love these kinds of posts - spoken so factually and yet almost every aspect of it is flat out wrong.

The reality is, Mete played like a top 4 D in his time in Ottawa. On a team that literally just had I believe the 2nd best finish to end the season. Yes, he's probably just a stop-gap for Jake Sanderson, but he's much better than Habs fans are giving him credit for.

I understand when fans are bitter because they lost a player for nothing. I think they should be happy for the guy instead that he's going to have a pretty decent NHL career from the looks of it.

After Chabot Ottawa’s best dmen were Zub and Brannstrom.

You might prefer Brann and Zub, but your coach clearly did not. Zaitsev averaged 22:44 of ice time and Reilly averaged 18:36 which are the most after Chabot.
Not to mention Brannstrom was healthy scratched several times this year.

And my original post still stands even if you replace Zaitsev and Reilly with Brannstrom and Zub. Mete is only 22 and has almost twice as much NHL experience as Brannstrom and Zub combined. Ottawa has one of the worst d-corps in the league, so it's not surprising that Mete can come in and look like one of their better defensemen.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You might prefer Brann and Zub, but your coach clearly did not. Zaitsev averaged 22:44 of ice time and Reilly averaged 18:36 which are the most after Chabot.
Not to mention Brannstrom was healthy scratched several times this year.

And my original post still stands even if you replace Zaitsev and Reilly with Brannstrom and Zub. Mete is only 22 and has almost twice as much NHL experience as Brannstrom and Zub combined. Ottawa has one of the worst d-corps in the league, so it's not surprising that Mete can come in and look like one of their better defensemen.

You might think you know more than actual Ottawa fans, but I assure you that you don't. First, Reilly was a left hander in a time when Smith didn't trust Brannstrom at all. Eventually Brannstrom got better and was trusted more - even got some power play looks, which leads me to my second point. Reilly was the go to guy on the PP aside from Chabot, while Zub did not play on the PP - at all. Third, Gudbranson took a lion's share of the shifts in the top 4 as a righty, followed by Zaitsev, leaving Zub to earn his ice time - which he did and ended up as a top pairing by the end of the year.

As for Ottawa having one of the worst defence cores in the league, I think you're right, or you were right, as prospects like Brannstrom and Zub began to ascend the ranks into bonafide top 4 players and guys like JBD getting their feet wet and the behemoth Sanderson coming, but by all means, sleep on Ottawa's D core and their team and see what happens in future years.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If you had a clue what you were talking about, you would have included Zub in your assessment of Ottawa's defense.

Reactions: Masked and Emrasie

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
What a find. Can't believe we got him for free. All the physical and defensive deficiencies have been greatly exaggerated. Then again, maybe he's playing hard since he's on a new team. We will get better indication next year.

But hard to ignore 25 mins last night and average ~23 minutes last 5 games and being vital piece of our breakout and penalty kill.

Good for the Sens.

Still, he has only 2 points in 14 games. We all expect him to be an offensive defenseman because of his speed, but he obviously isn't. If he can reinvent himself as a defensive D, then good for him. I doubt it works long term.

Francis Bouillon was another small D who had only defensive ability. The difference is that he was a tough dude and could deliver hard checks.

Mete has speed only. I don’t see any comparable in the league.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Good for the Sens.

Still, he has only 2 points in 14 games. We all expect him to be an offensive defenseman because of his speed, but he obviously isn't. If he can reinvent himself as a defensive D, then good for him. I doubt it works long term.

Francis Bouillon was another small D who had only defensive ability. The difference is that he was a tough dude and could deliver hard checks.

Mete has speed only. I don’t see any comparable in the league.

Mete has been pretty fantastic defensively.

Again, I get Habs fans wanting to suggest he's worthless because you gave up an asset for free, but he is a legit NHL defender. Nobody is saying he's a top pairing d-man.

In fact, I even said he's likely a stop-gap until the Sanderson show begins.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Mete has been good. A bit exposed playing top pairing minutes but he did better than I expected. Now that he is been decent on the PK makes him very valuable I really hope he sticks around.

There's no way that 23 minute a night in the toughest situations Zaitsev was worse than struggled on the 3rd pairing on and off all season Brannstrom or only played 10 games (many at 12 mins/GP) Mete. Zaitsev was 2nd or 3rd and even that is giving Zub a huge benefit of the doubt for minutes he never played and pressures that he was rarely asked to shoulder.

Gudbranson was playing what 18 minutes a game and was scratched far less than Brannstrom.

I guess that means he's a much better player too right? TOI doesn't dictate actual skill. Just coach preferences.

I dont get it. You talk about Zaitsev playing in tough situations and Brannstrom struggling, but without Zub/Brann this team was getting regularly obliterated like an old school expansion team to start the year. Brann replaces Reilly at deadline and they are what 10-3-2? We have a different idea of struggling.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Mete is fast as hell and can move the puck. His skills fit in very nicely in Ottawa. Plus he has a bit of swag which I love. Expect him to sign a reasonable two year extension in Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00