Claimed off Waivers: [OTT] Victor Mete claimed off waivers by the Senators from the Canadiens

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Mete is the new Wolanin (for Ottawa)... the Wolanin we saw emerging before his unfortunate injury

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't even get into how the Anderson, Gallagher and Toffoli contracts are probably going to look ugly past the halfway mark.

Tyler Toffoli will be past the halfway mark of his contract after next season. You think his contact, for the bargain basement price of $4.25 million a season will look ugly next off-season when he is - gasp! - 30 years old?

Do you even have a clue of what you're talking about?

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
He's quite honestly been really good. I get that there will be bitter Montreal fans (I would be too) but he is a legit NHL d-man. I've been surprised by how a guy his size can defend, especially on the PK.

He has good gap control on the rush and can eat up space in a hurry to compensate for lack of size. He knows how to get into lanes. He's well suited for the PK. I liked Mete, but my main gripe with him was that when the Habs got pegged in their own zone for long periods of time more often than not I noticed it was when Mete was on the ice. He lacks the size to pin guys low and stop the cycle. He also can't shoot the puck and despite being blazing fast it rarely amounts to anything offensively. I don't think he fit in what Montreal is trying to do with their defense. I think he's a better fit on the Sens tbh. Hope it works out for him.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He's quite honestly been really good. I get that there will be bitter Montreal fans (I would be too) but he is a legit NHL d-man. I've been surprised by how a guy his size can defend, especially on the PK.

Honestly I don't understand bitter Habs fans. I for one am very happy for Mete, he's still just a kid and he was sitting out most of the time. Now he has a spot to olay every night and even scored a goal, good for him ! I am not the Sens' biggest fan, even though I live in Gatineau, but you gotta be happy for the kid, come on.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Weird, I looked at the standings and they say otherwise. The Habs have now won three games in a row with almost half their salary cap on IR, while Ottawa is playing with zero pressure and can try out Mete without any consequence.
You should try looking harder, almost all of the most important underlying numbers are in Ottawa's favour. Anyway, doesn't matter to have this argument with someone who has a dozen excuses cocked and loaded lol.

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
You know a "team like Ottawa" has been better than Montreal for like 2/3 of the season? You take those first 15ish games out of the equation for both teams and you wouldn't be disparaging them like that.
I think it's fair to say, that aside from the hot start Montreal has underperformed this season. Their play for the majority of the season has been extremely lacklustre, while Ottawa has played above expectations this season. In saying that, with a fully healthy team Montreal has the better roster and has the chance to do more damage in the playoffs. Ottawa's time is coming soon though

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Mete is the new Wolanin (for Ottawa)... the Wolanin we saw emerging before his unfortunate injury
He's much better than Wolanin. Wolanin handled the puck like a grenade and was a turnover machine.

Mete plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He's a little guy but with a bit of swag. Wolanin I think had confidence issues from the get go this year.

Reactions: robsenz

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Tyler Toffoli will be past the halfway mark of his contract after next season. You think his contact, for the bargain basement price of $4.25 million a season will look ugly next off-season when he is - gasp! - 30 years old?

Do you even have a clue of what you're talking about?
no he doesnt

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He's much better than Wolanin. Wolanin handled the puck like a grenade and was a turnover machine.

Mete plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He's a little guy but with a bit of swag. Wolanin I think had confidence issues from the get go this year.

Mete has definitely showed more promise so far despite his size...he has some mad wheels and has been more than solid. I was hoping Wolanin would have a longer leash, but like you said, couldn't handle the puck, and seemed to over analyze the play a little too long , rather than play instinctual.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Mete doesn’t play with a chip on gis shoulder! LOL

A chip on his shoulder would knock him down due to the weight.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
A chip on his shoulder would knock him down due to the weight.

Top 10 worst jokes I've ever heard.
images

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That's because the Habs fans whom you may have seen talk about Mete's defensive game are unable to assess overall defensive impact.

There's a reason why he has great defensive metrics in the past few seasons compared to other players who see similar deployment.
Look no further then Ottawas own GM who thinks you need to be 6”3 and bigger to play defense.

I think he’s starting to learn though

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
That's because the Habs fans whom you may have seen talk about Mete's defensive game are unable to assess overall defensive impact.

There's a reason why he has great defensive metrics in the past few seasons compared to other players who see similar deployment.

It was an odd choice to let Mete go and then acquire Merrill and Gustafson

Reactions: Andrei79

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I remember an interview with a GM/coach a while ago. I think it was Phoenix. I'll have to paraphrase the gist of the article, but I think it is relevant to a discussion of Mete (and players like him). GM/coach was talking about evaluating some "defensive genius" they were considering acquiring. Someone who had this league wide reputation as a defensive stopper.

Reviewing the tape, the GM/coach talked about how the guy was great defensively, but when they dug deeper they realized that he was CONSTANTLY recovering from bad defensive situations. The issue was that he couldn't pass or handle the puck. So whenever they puck ended up in the defensive zone, it never got out and ended up as a scoring chance or a faceoff in the defensive zone. The guy had tons of turnovers in the defensive zone.

The GM/player then contrasted that with Yandle and how, despite his terrible defensive reputation, his metrics weren't that bad. Yandle wasn't nearly as good defensively as "Player X", but he got the puck out so much easier, there was less opportunity to exploit the shortcoming, and less opportunity to cycle the puck or generate a turnover in the offensive zone for the other team. Which was why, the gm/coach theorized, Yandle was still able to be so positive 5 v 5.

That's kind of how I feel about Mete. If you look at him defensively in a play-by play situation, he'll disappoint you. He can't move someone out of the crease, he'll get outmuscled sometimes, etc.. but if you look at the underlying metrics, they will never be that bad as you would imagine they would be. Missed in the tape is the 2-3 situations in a game where Mete was able to easily get the puck out where a guy like, say, Gudbranson would have turned the puck over.

He'll probably never win a Norris or play 20 minutes a night on a contender, but if you play him 82 games, I think you'll do better in "goals against" than you would think.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It was an odd choice to let Mete go and then acquire Merrill and Gustafson
Gus was obviously a failed attempt to improve the PP with an offensive minded dman. Merrill will be on the taxi squad once the Habs are fully healthy.

Habs waived Mete as a win-win situation. Its a win for Mete if someone picked him up and an opportunity to play hopefully fulltime rather than being healthy scratched. It was a win for the Habs having him off the cap and in the taxi squad had he cleared waivers. Losing Mete has zero impact on the Habs as Mete has very little upside.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Gus was obviously a failed attempt to improve the PP with an offensive minded dman. Merrill will be on the taxi squad once the Habs are fully healthy.

Habs waived Mete as a win-win situation. Its a win for Mete if someone picked him up and an opportunity to play hopefully fulltime rather than being healthy scratched. It was a win for the Habs having him off the cap and in the taxi squad had he cleared waivers. Losing Mete has zero impact on the Habs as Mete has very little upside.

Looking at his play since he arrived in Ottawa it’s clear that he either had untapped potential or was being misused or both, because he’s played well in all facets of the game and at this point I’d say it’s a lock that he’s played himself into a new contract with Ottawa.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Looking at his play since he arrived in Ottawa it’s clear that he either had untapped potential or was being misused or both, because he’s played well in all facets of the game and at this point I’d say it’s a lock that he’s played himself into a new contract with Ottawa.

I think a fresh start did him some good as well. When he played against Ottawa earlier in the year he stood out in a bad way. Particularly on Batherson's goal.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He’s the same player. No difference. I think Sens standards are so low that a#6/#7 nhl speedy dman looks like a star! ;)

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Some players need to move on. Mete seems to be one of those guys. The question I have is whether he will be Ottawa Mete or Montreal Mete next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad