Ott to Montreal for 2018 6th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Steve Ott fetching a 6th is not an argument for spending to the cap ceiling every year.

He was a 4th line player getting paid 4th line money.
Vanek will get a good return if we move him. Green will get a good return if we move him (next year likely). Moving players like Jurco/Smith/Sheahan is made an easier decision when you sign guys like Nielsen, Helm etc, guys who in turn will possibly be moved down the road if we're still struggling. You want that flexibility of having assets you can sell if you're way out, but if you actually start putting things together those same players can actually help you win.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Vanek will get a good return if we move him. Green will get a good return if we move him (next year likely). Moving players like Jurco/Smith/Sheahan is made an easier decision when you sign guys like Nielsen, Helm etc, guys who in turn will possibly be moved down the road if we're still struggling. You want that flexibility of having assets you can sell if you're way out, but if you actually start putting things together those same players can actually help you win.

if you're picking at the top of the draf there's an argument to be made that you're better off not bothering and just bottoming out though

I mean take Vanek,that turned out pretty nicely cheap one year deal and lets say we get a first for him today

would the Wings have been better off from a value standpoint not signing him and picking say 4th instead of 7th instead of picking up that late 1st? maybe maybe not but i'd say it's at least debatable

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I would rather have not had Helm at all and instead inserted a prospect into the lineup or a cheap guy off free agency. Most people didn't have an issue with Vanek because he was cheap. Most people didn't have a problem with Green because Datsyuk was still on the roster.

The players most people had an issue with signing (or at least signng for their specific contract) are those who likely won't be traded and overall have little to no value in the rebuild. Helm, Abdelkader, Nielsen in particular.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Good luck to Ott, I was not a fan of his signing at first. But I liked the way he played. I think he was a good example for the young guys to see. He worked hard, hit everything that moved, and appreciated his time wearing the winged wheel.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is why it makes no sense to not always try and stay close to the cap ceiling. Maximize sellable assets. Spend some money in the summer, get some picks out of it in the spring.

Nice to see us get a couple of extra picks in '18.

I'm very encouraged and happy that Holland was willing to alter his plan, but this certainly was not the plan when these players were signed.

If we were just a few points higher in the standings even, I doubt we see this. I don't expect us to be a playoff team in the immediate future, but with him saying they hope to be right back in it as soon as next year, if we are in even the bubble territory at the time of the TDL I don't know that we will be sellers. Which seems to be what the team is hoping for. Whether they get it or not, we'll see.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I like this trade simply from the standpoint of moving Ott off the team. I don't think the 6th round pick is going to amount to much, so this is the least impressive deal. Not complaining, just not as happy as I am with trades that bring in 2nd and 3rd round picks, particularly when the 2nd rounder is in what is considered a very deep draft.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Good luck to Ott, I was not a fan of his signing at first. But I liked the way he played. I think he was a good example for the young guys to see. He worked hard, hit everything that moved, and appreciated his time wearing the winged wheel.

This. I like Ott. I like what he brings to the game: passion, tremendous work ethic, the ability to have fun doing it, and the willingness to stick up for his teammates. Add to that the fact that he's a good PK guy, and above average on faceoffs, and I think we were fortunate to have him for the year (at 800K). It's also good to get another draft pick for him.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Steve Ott fetching a 6th is not an argument for spending to the cap ceiling every year.

He was a 4th line player getting paid 4th line money.

And we got a 6th out of him. And we'll get a good return for Vanek. His point still stands.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
if you're picking at the top of the draf there's an argument to be made that you're better off not bothering and just bottoming out though

I mean take Vanek,that turned out pretty nicely cheap one year deal and lets say we get a first for him today

would the Wings have been better off from a value standpoint not signing him and picking say 4th instead of 7th instead of picking up that late 1st? maybe maybe not but i'd say it's at least debatable

Drafting is kind of a crapshoot. I'd rather get as many picks as possible to maximize our possibility of getting good players.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
And we got a 6th out of him. And we'll get a good return for Vanek. His point still stands.

If you only look at adding pieces like Vanek and Ott, yes his point makes sense. But part of the reason the Wings were the highest cap team in the league was because of contracts like Abby's and Helm's and signing Nielsen.

I'd say more specifically that it makes sense to sign free agents like Ott and Vanek for short term even if you're planning to rebuild because you could flip them for picks. But that's not exactly a novel rebuild strategy. You don't just want to fill a roster with kids. It's good to have some vets while maintaining cap flexibility.

That's not what Holland has been doing but it's good that Vanek and Ott are at least silver linings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This is why it makes no sense to not always try and stay close to the cap ceiling. Maximize sellable assets. Spend some money in the summer, get some picks out of it in the spring.

Nice to see us get a couple of extra picks in '18.

As long as they're 1 year deals, spend to the cap every year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

No it doesn't, because people weren't having an issue with either Vanek or Ott being signed to those single year deals.

And Vanek didn't exactly fetch a tremendous return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad