Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJS] Dylan Gambrell for 2022 7th round pick

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Gambrell can play acceptable defense for a 4th liner and kill penalties but he’s terrible at face offs and provides nothing offensively on the regular. I don’t get the comparisons to Tierney. Tierney is literally better at every facet of the game.

And Gambrell is a way better checker than Tierney while Tierney is just smarter out there.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He was given playing time in San Jose many times. While he can kill penalites, that's about it. He just doesn't have any offense at all, and isn't really good at anything in particular.

Pinto should be back soon pushing Tierney to 3c so a penalty killing seldom used 4c is just what they need

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Didn’t he recently clear waivers? Glad we got a pick out of it

Considering I was surprised that he wasn't claimed by Ottawa when he was put on waivers, getting a 7th for him is a win.

Can Ottawa send him down without waivers now ? Maybe some ahl help

He's coming to Ottawa, says in the press release and we only have two legit NHL options at C (not that Gambrell changes that)

Doesn't a waiver cost money? Melnyk probably was willing to part with the 7th to save a few bucks ......

That he cleared waivers likely added value from Ottawa's point of view. If he cleared on 10th October it means he can be sent down to the AHL between now and 9th November without needing to clear again. By 10th November (6 games) they should have some troops back on deck and will have a good idea of whether or not Gambrell is good enough to stick around with the NHL team as a 13th/14th forward. His one-way contract likely means that they will keep him up.

It's also a bit of insurance for if/when other players return and they try to send down Logan Shaw - who will need waivers.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not quite sure I agree... Neither are particularly physical, if there's any difference it's not noticeable to me

Thanks for the input. I wasn't necessarily talking about hits but more like being first in corners but I have to admit you likely are more informed than I am gor Gambrell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad