Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Senators sign Jake Sanderson to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ya, the 2023 draft is supposed to be a good one with some really good prospects. Hope you are right about next year.
True, I had read that as well. I guess wait and see where we are after the lottery this year. 6th overall would be perfect. Here you go, let's do it. Maybe a 2nd as well.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
True, I had read that as well. I guess wait and see where we are after the lottery this year. 6th overall would be perfect. Here you go, let's do it. Maybe a 2nd as well.
We have Dorion and Melnyk to fund whatever endeavors are undertaken. Hence, that's why I tend towards the "wait and see" attitude. Going to guess it will take more than a high 1st overall, so if your proposal is based on picks, you may have to drop the word "maybe". Time will tell.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We have Dorion and Melnyk to fund whatever endeavors are undertaken. Hence, that's why I tend towards the "wait and see" attitude. Going to guess it will take more than a high 1st overall, so if your proposal is based on picks, you may have to drop the word "maybe". Time will tell.
I wouldn't pay more than a high first and a 2nd, that's an excellent haul for minny imo.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I wouldn't pay more than a high first and a 2nd, that's an excellent haul for minny imo.
It's up to the Minnesota Wild. It takes 2 teams to consummate a trade. One would logically guess that they'll have interest from several teams and multiple offers. My speculation is worth the same as any fan's speculation - not much really. I will say that many fans spend little time thinking about what the potential trading partner needs or wants. Time will tell.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's up to the Minnesota Wild. It takes 2 teams to consummate a trade. One would logically guess that they'll have interest from several teams and multiple offers. My speculation is worth the same as any fan's speculation - not much really. I will say that many fans spend little time thinking about what the potential trading partner needs or wants. Time will tell.
Oh, I agree, it's a fool's game. Just looking at where we're at though, this is a good fit, but from my pov i wouldn't want to pay more than a top 10 pick and a 2nd. Maybe a B prospect as well, but that to me is a very food haul.

Reactions: Big Muddy

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
1649091838168.png

The young man has arrived.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Good signing, I think he's a guaranteed regular in the NHL but not sure if he'll pan out the way people expect him to - i.e. top pairing
As a UND fan I agree to an extent. I also think his defense is overrated by fans and his offense is underrated. He’s a good player but nothing jumps off the page. Excellent in nearly every area but has limits as well. Doesn’t have a great shot or hands so his offense won’t be elite imo and defensively he’s not physical or aggressive enough to be truly elite there either.

I think he’s a top 4 lock though. Never really liked Sandy as much as most UND fans who think he’s Makar/Fox 2.0. Also not really a fan of his personality/character. Acts like he’s too good for everything and he’s not the brightest guy either. Hearing him talk frustrates me. I truly can’t understand how this guy is considered a leader but then again I don’t have much info on the locker room. (although I have a few tidbits) I can’t stand his face either but these are my only gripes with him lol

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
As a UND fan I agree to an extent. I also think his defense is overrated by fans and his offense is underrated. He’s a good player but nothing jumps off the page. Excellent in nearly every area but has limits as well. Doesn’t have a great shot or hands so his offense won’t be elite imo and defensively he’s not physical or aggressive enough to be truly elite there either.

I think he’s a top 4 lock though. Never really liked Sandy as much as most UND fans who think he’s Makar/Fox 2.0. Also not really a fan of his personality/character. Acts like he’s too good for everything and he’s not the brightest guy either. Hearing him talk frustrates me. I truly can’t understand how this guy is considered a leader but then again I don’t have much info on the locker room. (although I have a few tidbits) I can’t stand his face either but these are my only gripes with him lol
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the analysis you come to HFBoards for.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I appreciate his input, even if I hope he’s wrong on some points. It’s nice to hear people’s differing opinions on things, even if it doesn’t line up with mine. Reading people just agreeing with each other would make this site very boring.
This is a user who criticized his character/personality despite his coaches and teammates raving about him. He was captain of the WJC team and captain at UND. He apparently has an annoying looking face? Sorry, is this what you appreciated hearing?

The first paragraph is a slew of generalizations. Nobody is expecting him to be Makar 2.0, despite Sanderson actually putting up comparable/better numbers are the college level.

Again, nobody is expecting him to be the premier offensive d-man in the league. I'm not sure why some other user tried to say he's a "soft Brent Burns"? There is literally zero stylistic comparison.

If there's an NHL equivalent, it's Slavin. That is who the Senators hope he becomes. Maybe he puts up higher numbers than Slavin over his career...who knows. I'd label Sanderson as a smooth skating, two-way D with a fierce competitiveness to him. His offense is unlikely to be elite but is underrated by most people who have watched 2-3 games of his.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Maybe closer to mcacoy?

I think that's the ideal outcome, although probably a bit less physical and definitely less physically punishing. Not sure he can ever get as thick as McAvoy, but is longer and should be able to use that to defend.

He might never be quite as good as McAvoy... that's probably just about his ultimate upside... but there are stylistic similarities for sure.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad