Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Senators sign Jake Sanderson to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'd call him a bust, but with those ears, he'd hear me.

(Going to be a great defenseman, Ottawa got a good one)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When can he start playing?
17 games left in the season. Was hoping we would only play him for the final 9 to not burn a contract year.

Edit: Injury suggest he might play the final 5 or so
Broke his hand mid March, had surgery and the prognosis at the time was 4-6 weeks which on the long end has him cleared to play for the game or two of the season, so no guarantees he suits up this season.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'm stoked, very curious to watch him.

Who would he compare to, is he sort of a Ryan Suter type?
I agree with @ReginKarlssonLehner , Heiskanen is probably the closest comparable at this point. He had similar numbers to Makar in his 2 years of NCAA hockey, but Makar is on another level right now and it wouldn't be fair to either of them to compare Sanderson to him. I think the majority of hockey analysts would be shocked if he wasn't a Top pairing D sooner rather than later. He's just very good at so many things - having one of him or Chabot on the ice for 50 minutes a night will do wonders for Ottawa's D core.

I think Seider is another recent close comparable - again just so good at so many different aspects of the game.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I agree with @ReginKarlssonLehner , Heiskanen is probably the closest comparable at this point. He had similar numbers to Makar in his 2 years of NCAA hockey, but Makar is on another level right now and it wouldn't be fair to either of them to compare Sanderson to him. I think the majority of hockey analysts would be shocked if he wasn't a Top pairing D sooner rather than later. He's just very good at so many things - having one of him or Chabot on the ice for 50 minutes a night will do wonders for Ottawa's D core.

I think Seider is another recent close comparable - again just so good at so many different aspects of the game.

Yeah, I think its hard to find a comparison. I feel like he's probably going to be stronger and more physical than Heiskanen, but less so than Seider. I think it will take a few years for him to really become the player he's set to be, and I think part of that will be that he's gonna be behind Chabot... kinda like how it took him some time to emerge behind Kiersted at UND. Not to say he won't bring an immediate impact, but he's not gonna step in and immediately play the style he's been playing all season in UND, imo. But he will get there.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really think Ottawa is building a strong team. Still some pieces to figure out, but I think they’re along the right path. Hopefully their management team can be a positive impact and spend some money to maximize this teams potential.

They're building a strong team if they spend on the support pieces. The East is loaded and they need to improve a lot.

Sanderson in and Zub out is like running on a treadmill. They've got to extend Zub long term.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No chance
Oh, I wouldn't say that. We've been without Pinto all year, Sanderson is coming in, rumours (yes, I'll believe it when it happens) are floating around about possibly Fiala and/or Giroux. Ridley Greig is coming up quick. Stutzle is about ready to take the next step. Batherson is ready to have a huge season (as long as a scrub goalie doesn't take him out again). Formenton is starting to blossom. The future might be sooner than people think.

Reactions: sens13

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Kid is going to have a shit load of pressure on him to preform since Dorion isn't willing to bring in a legit top 4 guy.

Hopefully he's up to it since he's going to be expected to carry the second pair. If he is though, the Senators should be vastly improved.

But damn that's a lot to ask of a rookie. Even a blue chipper like Sanderson.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Oh, I wouldn't say that. We've been without Pinto all year, Sanderson is coming in, rumours (yes, I'll believe it when it happens) are floating around about possibly Fiala and/or Giroux. Ridley Greig is coming up quick. Stutzle is about ready to take the next step. Batherson is ready to have a huge season (as long as a scrub goalie doesn't take him out again). Formenton is starting to blossom. The future might be sooner than people think.
Most of the points you stated are true, but they still need another good RD, and a top 6 winger to play with Stutzle. And yes, we very much need to find a way of extending Zub because the right side of the defense is weak as is, and would really be weak if Zub departs. And, that assumes that Forsberg plays as well next year and beyond as he has this year. So, hopefully the goaltending situation will hold and the Senators don't have another hole to fill. The other thing is if the Senators manage to acquire Fiala, something will get subtracted from the organization. That very well could be a good young prospect like Greig who you mentioned in your post.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Most of the points you stated are true, but they still need another good RD, and a top 6 winger to play with Stutzle. And yes, we very much need to find a way of extending Zub because the right side of the defense is weak as is, and would really be weak if Zub departs. And, that assumes that Forsberg plays as well next year and beyond as he has this year. So, hopefully the goaltending situation will hold and the Senators don't have another hole to fill. The other thing is if the Senators manage to acquire Fiala, something will get subtracted from the organization. That very well could be a good young prospect like Greig who you mentioned in your post.
Yes, i agree, Ottawa has holes to fill big time. Fiala and or Giroux would go a long way, as would sending Zaitsev to the moon and playing Thomson.

I think offering this year's first, outside the top 5, means Greig is safe. I would have a hard time trading Greig, probably would be a deal breaker for me in Fiala talks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm stoked, very curious to watch him.

Who would he compare to, is he sort of a Ryan Suter type?

The handful of times I got to watch UND last year, Sanderson was doing some subtle Niedermayer-esque things that might not show up on the scoresheet. The way he could effortlessly diffuse things in the defensive zone with his skating was fun to watch. I don't have a strong memory of Suter at Wisconsin, but I feel like he wasn't as eager to join/start the rush as Sanderson has shown.

I don't think he'll bump Thomas Chabot off the top PP unit, so points might not be the best gauge of Sanderson's game over the next few seasons. In the near future, I could see Sanderson taking a couple minutes a game from Chabot at even strength and both settle in as 23-24 minute/night defenders on separate pairs.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, i agree, Ottawa has holes to fill big time. Fiala and or Giroux would go a long way, as would sending Zaitsev to the moon and playing Thomson.

I think offering this year's first, outside the top 5, means Greig is safe. I would have a hard time trading Greig, probably would be a deal breaker for me in Fiala talks.
The draft lottery can be held after the regular season ends. Not sure exactly when it would occur, but I think it happens before most playoff teams are finished the playoffs. So, Ottawa will know before the playoffs are over where (the position) they will draft. Minnesota on the other hand could still be in the playoffs at that time and presumably might not be doing much wheeling & dealing during this (playoffs) timeframe. If Ottawa drafts top 5 this summer, presumably that means they'd be trading their 1st overall for 2023. If they protect the 2023 pick, and the end up picking in the top five again, that means the pick will slide to 2024. We obviously think we'll finish higher, but all it takes is one injury to a key player like Batherson or Chabot which is something we've seen this year. I'm not sure how motivated the Wild will be if the 1st that we trade will be for 2024. I'll guess the Wild will figure this out. This is kind of complex, but ultimately it might mean that the Wild are more interested in one of our top prospects.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The draft lottery can be held after the regular season ends. Not sure exactly when it would occur, but I think it happens before most playoff teams are finished the playoffs. So, Ottawa will know before the playoffs are over where (the position) they will draft. Minnesota on the other hand could still be in the playoffs at that time and presumably might not be doing much wheeling & dealing during this (playoffs) timeframe. If Ottawa drafts top 5 this summer, presumably that means they'd be trading their 1st overall for 2023. If they protect the 2023 pick, and the end up picking in the top five again, that means the pick will slide to 2024. We obviously think we'll finish higher, but all it takes is one injury to a key player like Batherson or Chabot which is something we've seen this year. I'm not sure how motivated the Wild will be if the 1st that we trade will be for 2024. I'll guess the Wild will figure this out. This is kind of complex, but ultimately it might mean that the Wild are more interested in one of our top prospects.
Then if the lottery ball falls in our favour, I'd say offer next year's 1st without protection and call it a day. It depends on how much you want this player, I guess. Sounds like a perfect addition to the team.

I also have more faith than most that we'll be good next year, especially adding a guy like fiala and or giroux.

Let's do this!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Then if the lottery ball falls in our favour, I'd say offer next year's 1st without protection and call it a day. It depends on how much you want this player, I guess. Sounds like a perfect addition to the team.

I also have more faith than most that we'll be good next year, especially adding a guy like fiala and or giroux.

Let's do this!
Ya, the 2023 draft is supposed to be a good one with some really good prospects. Hope you are right about next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad