Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Ron Hainsey signs with the Senators (1 year, $3.5M)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yep, Always thought DJ Smith was a potentially good NHL coach. When his name came up for the Isles last year, I endorsed it. That was until Trotz was available. Do you disagree with NHL players that voted him the best next NHL coach when a NHLPA poll was released asking this. Just look at the proof in Hainsey and Zaitsev then.

Cup contenders with these kinds of signings. :biglaugh:

You were the guy that said the Leafs would have to retain on Zaitsev, now he’s Bobby Orr. Hainsey just signed the contract of his life, no other team was going to offer him more than 3M.

What’s your prediction of where the Sens finish with these massive offseason moves and the addition of DJ Smith?

Reactions: justafan22

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Yes, I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing if the Leafs resigned him...

He said in another thread it's just guys wanting to get away from Babcock. Of course it had nothing to do with the 3.5M that Toronto in no way shape or form were offering him. You gotta give TWS credit though, he really puts in the work to twist any scenario around in an attempt to make it look bad for the Leafs.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Comes exactly as advertised. Really liked him the last 2 seasons, he was a calming presence on a weak blue line. Consistent.

I think the Sens overpaid by 1.5M and he’s also 38 now, was looking kinda slow the second half of the season. I think this contract sets him up for retirement.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013

You were the guy that said the Leafs would have to retain on Zaitsev, now he’s Bobby Orr. Hainsey just signed the contract of his life, no other team was going to offer him more than 3M.

What’s your prediction of where the Sens finish with these massive offseason moves and the addition of DJ Smith?

Leafs paid $3mm bonus, so year one Zaitsev costs $1.5mm. He is no Bobby Orr but he is a LOT better than Cody Ceci who is a walking disaster. Hainsey made $3mm with Leafs last year and now $3.5 with Sens. HUGE. lol. Nobody claims we are cup contenders. We are in rebuild. I think you should be more focused on your team just once winning a single round in the playoffs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs paid $3mm bonus, so year one Zaitsev costs $1.5mm. He is no Bobby Orr but he is a LOT better than Cody Ceci who is a walking disaster. Hainsey made $3mm with Leafs last year and now $3.5 with Sens. HUGE. lol. Nobody claims we are cup contenders. We are in rebuild. I think you should be more focused on your team just once winning a single round in the playoffs.

Yeah, and Hainsey is getting older not younger. Do you realize how many years are left on Zaitsev’s contract?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Good for Ottawa. Clearly won the Zaitsev Ceci deal because Ceci is utter garbage and shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL. Hainsey is solid.

Toronto in shambles. Just when you thought the D couldn't get worse in Toronto you add Ceci the loser.

Reactions: Sensin5

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Yeah, and Hainsey is getting older not younger. Do you realize how many years are left on Zaitsev’s contract?

Yup. Don't think it will be an albatross going forward. Hainsey one year. Strangely have liked Zaitsev. I could be wrong. I do know that I am not wrong on Ceci. A disaster. You will find out with more opportunity to watch him up close. I have no faith in Sens management but do not hate these moves. I do wonder why almost all Leaf fans have near blind faith in their management despite the record.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Hopefully the Sens finish last and get the first overall pick. A guy like Hainsey will be traded at the deadline.
Right now though the Leafs are actually worse on D and need to make some more moves.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I liked Hainsey. I know he had his shortcomings (age was a lot of it), but he played hard and was a good team guy. He has a good personality and tries.

It might be best for the Leafs to move on from him. I don't hate losing him because of this, but will miss him.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
LEAFS: We need better D
LEAFS: Acquires the two worst defensemen from the worst team in the league last season

Zaitsev + Hainsey >> Ceci + Harpur

Harpur will be a marlie. Ceci at 10-15 minutes a night > Hainsey at 25.

More importantly bad contracts moved out and we will still be a playoff tean where the Sens will continue to be the laughing stock of the league.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Harpur will be a marlie. Ceci at 10-15 minutes a night > Hainsey at 25.

More importantly bad contracts moved out and we will still be a playoff tean where the Sens will continue to be the laughing stock of the league.

I don't get statements like this. Compare the last 15 years of the Ottawa Senators vs the Leafs. Who has had more success by leaps and bounds?

Pro sports goes in cycles; it's Toronto's time to compete and Ottawa's time to rebuild.

To date, Toronto's team doesn't resemble a contender in the least bit whereas at least Ottawa is doing their best at sucking.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Some weird moves here the past few days between the 2 teams. If I'm Ottawa I concentrate on getting younger and not signing players like Ron Hainsey.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Some weird moves here the past few days between the 2 teams. If I'm Ottawa I concentrate on getting younger and not signing players like Ron Hainsey.

We couldn't possibly be any younger, it's impossible. We had 3 players over the age of 30 before this signing and 9 under the age of 25.

Repeat: 9 under the age of 25. Believe you me, this is a GREEN team that is built to suck and get a high pick, then repeat, then be decent, then hopefully be good.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

The problem with that, is having young defenders getting scored on repeatedly doesn’t help them develop.

Having a veteran like Hainsey should help in that regard.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't get statements like this. Compare the last 15 years of the Ottawa Senators vs the Leafs. Who has had more success by leaps and bounds?

Pro sports goes in cycles; it's Toronto's time to compete and Ottawa's time to rebuild.

To date, Toronto's team doesn't resemble a contender in the least bit whereas at least Ottawa is doing their best at sucking.

How is the last 15 years relevant to today team? Also why not go back 20 years? That allows the Leafs smashing Ottawa year in and gear out during the playoffs.

What is important is who is curently good. I dont care about anything beyond last year, teams change, players mature and only losers look to the past to feel good about their shortcomings.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
How is the last 15 years relevant to today team? Also why not go back 20 years? That allows the Leafs smashing Ottawa year in and gear out during the playoffs.

What is important is who is curently good. I dont care about anything beyond last year, teams change, players mature and only losers look to the past to feel good about their shortcomings.

You said Toronto will continue to be a playoff team (true, despite not having actually won a series since 2004, which is remarkable) and Ottawa will continue being the laughing stock of the league. Continues implies you're using the past in an effort to predict the upcoming season.

Ignoring the past in pro sports completely as you suggest is strange. Most teams would willingly give up 5-10 years of non-contention for a single championship.

It's also strange when you consider the very nature of pro sports is cyclical. It's designed that way. My point is - to attack a team for being poor in the midst of a rebuild is bizarre.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You said Toronto will continue to be a playoff team (true, despite not having actually won a series since 2004, which is remarkable) and Ottawa will continue being the laughing stock of the league. Continues implies you're using the past in an effort to predict the upcoming season.

Ignoring the past in pro sports completely as you suggest is strange. Most teams would willingly give up 5-10 years of non-contention for a single championship.

It's also strange when you consider the very nature of pro sports is cyclical. It's designed that way. My point is - to attack a team for being poor in the midst of a rebuild is bizarre.

Agaon, loser mentality to go back to 2004. Whats relevant is they were a playoff team last, while Ottawa couldn't go more than a day without embarrassing themselves.

Ottawa isnt rebuilding, rebuilding inplies a plan. The only plan in Ottawa is to wait for Melnyk to sell and pray a better owner comes in.

Again, Laughing Stock of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad