Proposal: OTT - PHI

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think something around Hoffman for 14th could make sense, this does not, however.

Maybe Hoffman for Gudas + 14th or 19th. Gudas would fit Ottawa's salary needs and would fill a hole on the 3rd pairing right side.

Ottawa doesn't have a hole on the third pair. They have a big hole in the topic 4.

And if they trade hoffman they have a big hole 2 holes in the top 6.

None of these trades make any sense for Ottawa at all.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ottawa doesn't have a hole on the third pair. They have a big hole in the topic 4.

And if they trade hoffman they have a big hole 2 holes in the top 6.

None of these trades make any sense for Ottawa at all.

Gudas is mostly included as a way to even out caphits, Ottawa also could definitely stand to improve their 3rd pairing. A more reliable 3rd pairing RD would lessen our need to lean on Ceci like a #1D.

If you’re against trading Hoffman unless we get a top 6 replacement, that’s a different story entirely.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
So the Flyers add cap and have Ryan for 2 more years at 7.5 and they have to add a pick? Why would they do that? They can do a hundred other things without taking that contract.

It's a near lateral move where we move a high salaried veteran whos replacement we have for a high salaried veteran whos replacement we don't. Keeping Simmonds would cost about the same in cap and lock us into a longer term.
You must have missed the last 1/4 of the season where Patrick took Simmonds spot on the power play. He is our net front presence now.

Ryan isnt bridging the gap to anything except LTIR.

I think Patrick is a more dynamic player who would be better utilised driving our useless pp2 than his limited role on pp1 we saw later in the year.

And say Ryan is ltir all it costs is cash and McDonald who has no future with the team anyway.

I may be off on value but i think the following things hold true. 1 the flyers have the cap room to absorb ryan in the short term. 2 the flyers have a need for depth scoring and a net front presence. 3 the flyers d prospects are ready Now to push andy out of the lineup.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
It's a near lateral move where we move a high salaried veteran who's replacement we have for a high salaried veteran whos replacement we don't. Keeping Simmonds would cost about the same in cap and lock us into a longer term.
So Ryan would be Simmonds' replacement? If you are planning on not having Simmonds, I would rather spend the cap space better than getting a guy who had 58 points over the last 2 seasons and has 4 years left at 7.5 per. There are other options. MacDonald only has 2 years left. His contract is more manageable for someone to take at this point. They could just buy him out and have less than a $2 million cap hit for the same 4 years if they were so worried about a roster spot.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Pretty terrible for ottawa. I think people understimate ryan. Yes hes paid 1-2 million too much but he has been plagued with injuries for years

He was a monster during the playloffs last year, if our team bounces back next year with the youth movement and he stays healthy and motivated I think he will suprise alot of people and can elevate his game like he did in the playoffs

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's a near lateral move where we move a high salaried veteran whos replacement we have for a high salaried veteran whos replacement we don't. Keeping Simmonds would cost about the same in cap and lock us into a longer term.

I think Patrick is a more dynamic player who would be better utilised driving our useless pp2 than his limited role on pp1 we saw later in the year.

And say Ryan is ltir all it costs is cash and McDonald who has no future with the team anyway.

I may be off on value but i think the following things hold true. 1 the flyers have the cap room to absorb ryan in the short term. 2 the flyers have a need for depth scoring and a net front presence. 3 the flyers d prospects are ready Now to push andy out of the lineup.

You dont need to convince me that Macdonald doesnt have a future here. And while we may both agree he doesnt really have a place on this team, it only matters what the coach thinks.

I'd much rather have Macdonald for 2 years while we wait for Hart (let's be honest, we arent going to be Competitive until we have a real 1G), than have to play the LTIR game with Ryan every summer and have him eat the 10% overage we're allowed.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Gudas is mostly included as a way to even out caphits, Ottawa also could definitely stand to improve their 3rd pairing. A more reliable 3rd pairing RD would lessen our need to lean on Ceci like a #1D.

If you’re against trading Hoffman unless we get a top 6 replacement, that’s a different story entirely.

A top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman are the only pieces I'd trade Hoffman for.

Unless they can replace him in other ways

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty terrible for ottawa. I think people understimate ryan. Yes hes paid 1-2 million too much but he has been plagued with injuries for years

He was a monster during the playloffs last year, if our team bounces back next year with the youth movement and he stays healthy and motivated I think he will suprise alot of people and can elevate his game like he did in the playoffs
I dont think is anyone here that would disagree....

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
To PHI:
4th Overall Pick
Bobby Ryan

To Ott:
14th Overall Pick
2019 3rd Round Pick
Scott Laughton
Rights to Robert Hagg

Who adds?

Hagg is nothing to the Sens. Laughton is a decent player but the Sens need top end talent, not middle/bottom 6 forwards. We could add our other 1st this year and the Sens still say no.

Me personally, if the Sens want to do the original deal I'd say sure. Taking on Ryan to get the 4th oa is something I'm fine with. I'm sure we could find a taker for him and have it not cost us much

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
A top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman are the only pieces I'd trade Hoffman for.

Unless they can replace him in other ways

I can see where you're coming from, I'm just not sure if Hoffman is a good enough piece to return a legit top 4 DMan. If he can, that would be my priority. Beyond that, I'd look primarily at futures.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can see where you're coming from, I'm just not sure if Hoffman is a good enough piece to return a legit top 4 DMan. If he can, that would be my priority. Beyond that, I'd look primarily at futures.
He's a legit top 6 winger. Can look solid on a top line too, just had warts in his game. But he can skate and he can score.

I think if a team has some depth in the top four and a lack in the top six a swap would make sense.

It all depends though, if the Sens can land a top six forward through free agency or something, then they might be able to look at trading him for futures. But defense is the major need.

Considering what kane just got from San Jose, Hoffman is a bargain for a legit snipper. I think he has value.

Unless of course the Sens are tearing it all down, then by all means move him for futures. We will know more when we find out what happens to karlsson.

I for one don't want to see a rebuild just yet. Not having that first round pick . . . Ugh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad