Post-Game Talk: OTT @ MTL 15-Mar-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can the GSN line (the fourth imo) get less ice time than the other 3 lines today please.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
That's the thing. So many people keep throwing around "elite" "generational". But them they make excuses for him. That doesn't fit.

He has elite, perhaps generational offensive skills, but he is not playing the defensive side of the game as well as he should. What I see is a kid that has not yet learned to control the game on both sides of the puck. He makes far too risky moves that he expects it to work all the time. He also pouts when things do not go his way.

He is still a kid inside.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has elite, perhaps generational offensive skills, but he is not playing the defensive side of the game as well as he should. What I see is a kid that has not yet learned to control the game on both sides of the puck. He makes far too risky moves that he expects it to work all the time. He also pouts when things do not go his way.

He is still a kid inside.

I think when you are surrounded by a D core that has one legitimate NHL d man and a rookie its hard to be generational. I don't think he is commited right now but its probably pretty frustrating to play with terrible players constantly.

When you are up a goal with 2 minutes left and you are going on the PK with Phillips and Gryba as your top 2 defensive D men its truly incredible you're leading in the first place.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Karlsson got as many points last night as Spezza, yet the usual suspect(s) call out Karlsson and applaud Spezza. The agenda is getting blatantly obvious.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh, Lehner will learn from it, the defense will learn from it. We'll be better from it in the future, this season is done anyways.

I think games like this are a true sign that this is not the right core. I heard learn from it when they kept losing to the leafs in the playoffs, they never did. It takes a spectacular group to lose they way this team is losing this year.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I think games like this are a true sign that this is not the right core. I heard learn from it when they kept losing to the leafs in the playoffs, they never did. It takes a spectacular group to lose they way this team is losing this year.

I'm just saying it from the point that I'm tired of dumping on the players. The season is lost, just reset it for next season and hope for the best.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only thing we can do is hope the kids get better since we won't be able to bring any kind of outside help since the team is broke despite a huge TV deal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hughson's comments at the end were so pathetic

''4-1 lead is the worst lead in hockey'' sarcasm and more

such an *******

we Leafs fans have been dealing with this kind of back-hand horse-puckey for years now from that so called broadcast team.......now you know so don't you guys call us crazy anymore

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Reffing aside, Lehner's rebound control...eeeep

Who the h**l is the Sens goalie coach? Rebound control and going down too early have been obvious problems for Lehner. Also, controlling the puck on shoot-arounds behind the net...poor by both Lehner & Anderson IMO. Neither goalie is worth **** at handling the puck. What DO they practice during practice? :shakehead

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Who the h**l is the Sens goalie coach? Rebound control and going down too early have been obvious problems for Lehner. Also, controlling the puck on shoot-arounds behind the net...poor by both Lehner & Anderson IMO. Neither goalie is worth **** at handling the puck. What DO they practice during practice? :shakehead

Ya..no, Anderson is a great puck handler. Much, much better than most goalies in the NHL.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ya..no, Anderson is a great puck handler. Much, much better than most goalies in the NHL.

Yeah I was surprised by someone says Anderson isn't good at playing the puck, he's really good IMO. Makes the smart play almost every single time, rarely ever flubs it, makes quick decisions, and communicates well with his teammates.

He doesn't play the puck up the ice much, but on shoot arounds he's top notch.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Yuno, there may be a silver lining in this OT loss to Habs if it gives them a leg up over Detroit in scramble for the last wildcard spot. ABBA. We are toast.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009

Actually, they did learn from those losses... In 2007 they took care of business against the East. There are many examples of young teams taking their lumps and then coming back stronger from it. Edmonton dynasty had to lose the Islanders before they began their playoff dominance, Crosby and the Penguins lost their first few years, look at the Leafs this season after that brutal collapse against Boston, they look like they've taken a step forward this year.

If Ottawa learns nothing from this year and the games like last night against Montreal, then they truly lack any sort of character and mental toughness.

My take is that they are missing leadership and character in their top 6. Spezza has been ok, good offensively and the usual lack of attention to detail on defence. He needs to be better in that department, obviously, but who else is is helping out? Milan Michalek has been nothing short of garbage this season, Ryan has been a passenger since December, and Turris has cooled off after an impressive start.

There is a lot of blame to go around, but the defence is where it starts for me. So, so many mistakes piling up and I guess that's what happens when you have Weircioich, Karlsson, Cowen, Gryba, and Ceci all making rookie mistakes. This offseason better be used to get a dependable dman. Guys like Phillips and Corvo won't cut it this time around Mr. Melnyk.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
The Kings support the Ottawa fan base's opinion that they really got screwed over last night

and that game was the difference between making the post season or not

can't believe how dumb the refs were last night

i feel for Lehner... my frustration would have been much worse than Lehner's...Hextall like if i were him

sorry guys :shakehead

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Bruins fan here and also like your team...what a screw job you guys got last night...the " too loud" excuse from the ref was laughable....but typical of the NHL they will sweep it under the rug and let the inept refs continue to do their thing...

I saw PJ Stock saying during the game that the disallowed goal should have been allowed ( which I agree with)

I didn't have chance to watch CBC panel after the game...what did they say about the finish?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
worse part is Ottawa is built for the playoffs...Montreal? is laughable

these kind of things really grinds my gears :rant:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The Kings support the Ottawa fan base's opinion that they really got screwed over last night

and that game was the difference between making the post season or not

can't believe how dumb the refs were last night

i feel for Lehner... my frustration would have been much worse than Lehner's...Hextall like if i were him

sorry guys :shakehead

it's Montreal and it happens way too often and for far too long

ask Philly, Boston or the Rags fans, I'd say to ask us Toronto fans but you'd just say I was being paranoid

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Bruins fan here and also like your team...what a screw job you guys got last night...the " too loud" excuse from the ref was laughable....but typical of the NHL they will sweep it under the rug and let the inept refs continue to do their thing...

I saw PJ Stock saying during the game that the disallowed goal should have been allowed ( which I agree with)

I didn't have chance to watch CBC panel after the game...what did they say about the finish?

I didn't hear it myself but I assume that Healy said something stupid.

It's funny reading the thread in the main board. It's all Hab fans vs the rest of the league in trying to understand why the reffing was dubious.

I had a low opinion of Habs fans knowledge of the game after we *****-slapped them in the playoffs, but last night confirmed how dumb they are about the game.

In b4 24 Cups.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal will be knocked out in the 1st round no matter who they face. We would destroy them in a playoff series again if we faced them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad