Post-Game Talk: OTT @ MTL 15-Mar-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
No he doesn't.

And Andy has gotten us a lot further in the past than Lehner or any goalie for that matter in the last 7 years so he gets a pass for struggling this year.

If the rumors of Lehner forcing Murray's hand to trade Bishop are true (that he threatened to return to Sweden) then he deserves criticism for how he's played lately. Is it five games now with 5 or more goals against? The team D is bad but that isn't good either.

It is 5 or more goals allowed in each of the past 5 starts. I believe he came into a game in relief during that stretch and gave up less goals in more limited time.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Habs fan coming in peace. Before the game ended I had actually planned on coming here to say good deserved win and to mention how Karlsson actually had played one of his best games against Montreal that I can remember.

As I'm waiting for the game to end for UFC to begin, all hell broke loose.

Just wanted to say the officiating was an embarrassment. We've been on the receiving end of bad calls a lot this year but nothing can excuse the poor officiating last night. The Markov call is one that happens against us all the time, it was a dive and pretty much blows when games are decided on calls like that.

Overall the officiating was a disgrace last night, even being a Habs fan I find it pretty disgusting. At least you guys got a point after losing a game that should have been a guaranteed win. Luckily with Hemsky being a solid acquisition you guys could still pull through and land a spot in the playoffs. Good luck finding a way guys, this game was just ugly. I would be super pissed if it were the other way around.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
No he doesn't.

And Andy has gotten us a lot further in the past than Lehner or any goalie for that matter in the last 7 years so he gets a pass for struggling this year.

If the rumors of Lehner forcing Murray's hand to trade Bishop are true (that he threatened to return to Sweden) then he deserves criticism for how he's played lately. Is it five games now with 5 or more goals against? The team D is bad but that isn't good either.

Lehner and Bishop got us just as far as Andy did last year. Andy is softer than Leclaire

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
48 shots against. Many from in close.

This point that seems to be a bit lost in this thread. Without Lehner, the game could have been over by the end of the first. Some egregious defensive lapses from both teams but the Sens were worse on this night. Spezza was wonderful but the Sens' team defense was abysmal.

And that IMO is the number one reason for the loss, ahead of iffy reffing and rebound control.

The goals that made it 4-2 and 4-3 were on Lehner:
-He tries to go all Tim Thomas and it spectacularly fails to make it 4-2
-He goes down super early to make it 4-3

I like Lehner a lot, he's like Emery and this team needs fire more often than not

But this loss is on him even though he kept us in the game in the first

Lesson learned. As far as the OT goal while it's certainly reasonnable to expect the ref to blow the play dead Lehner could have, nay, should have moved or done something rather than stay put: you make your own luck.

Lehner lost us the game. The refs gave it to Montreal

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Lehner and Bishop got us just as far as Andy did last year. Andy is softer than Leclaire

Whatever makes you feel better...

It's clear you're upset at the criticism that Lehner is getting by deflecting to Anderson but the fact is Lehner is just as responsible as the refs for last night's meltdown.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1. I was looking forward to Lehners post-game interview but it seems as though he opted out :laugh:

2. Redefining greenings goal, the OT goal and not giving Prust an extra two minutes for instigating with Michalek were by far the worst calls IMO. Vanek was pushed into Lehner so I'm not overly upset about that one.

3. Regardless of the horrendous officiating, the sens should have been able to close that one out.

Prust didn't instigate with Michalek. He slew footed Hemsky, and then knocked down Michalek away from the puck. If anything, Michalek instigated the fight after getting fed up with it. That said, Prust definitely deserved the extra 2.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Prust didn't instigate with Michalek. He slew footed Hemsky, and then knocked down Michalek away from the puck. If anything, Michalek instigated the fight after getting fed up with it. That said, Prust definitely deserved the extra 2.

I've said this a ton, but I've always been jealous of Boston's roster. They would have beat the Habs up on the ice and on the scoreboard, and would have shut them down completely after a 4-1 lead.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
The goals that made it 4-2 and 4-3 were on Lehner:
-He tries to go all Tim Thomas and it spectacularly fails to make it 4-2
-He goes down super early to make it 4-3

I like Lehner a lot, he's like Emery and this team needs fire more often than not

But this loss is on him even though he kept us in the game in the first

Lesson learned. As far as the OT goal while it's certainly reasonnable to expect the ref to blow the play dead Lehner could have, nay, should have moved or done something rather than stay put: you make your own luck.

Lehner lost us the game. The refs gave it to Montreal

It's easy to blame the goalie, but that's just part of the problem. Chris Phillips and the defensive end coverage by the d in general is a grease fire. Murray made a bad move with that contract. Defence is lost and they sorely are lacking identity. They can't blame the refs all that much for blowing a 3 goal lead. They collapsed because they just aren't a good team ....

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
I've said this a ton, but I've always been jealous of Boston's roster. They would have beat the Habs up on the ice and on the scoreboard, and would have shut them down completely after a 4-1 lead.

No worries. I hope MTL slips down to the last WC spot so that they're forced to endure a 4-game Boston creaming in the first round of the play-offs :laugh:.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
I'm still angry the day after. I didn't expect us to make the playoffs, and I didn't expect to win last night, and Ottawa didn't deserve to win, but nothing trumps what transpired from officiating last night.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
This is nowhere close to the worst collapse ever. I can think of more painful collapses. How about the flu game vs the leafs that cost us home ice vs them in 2004? Lalime looked like Lehner in that game. Game 6 vs the pens 4 years ago was a terrible collapse as well. Up 3-0 and a chance to force game 7 instead the team sits back and never recovers from the Fisher disallowed goal. Ricard Persson game was ten times worse in the collapse scale considering it was against the leafs B team. If anything this game pretty much sums up the season in a nutshell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm still angry the day after. I didn't expect us to make the playoffs, and I didn't expect to win last night, and Ottawa didn't deserve to win, but nothing trumps what transpired from officiating last night.

Going into the 3rd I was thinking a few things;
-We don't deserve to be up 4-1 the way we played.
-Lehner was getting the job done, but didn't look great doing it.
-The officiating had been poor quality, but at least it wasn't costing us.

After the game;
-What in gods name were those refs thinking
-Lehner's rebound control has been brutal
-We don't need help losing games, were perfectly capable of that ourselves.

I fully anticipate Kerry Fraser's next article on TSN to be about that game, I can't think of anything else from an officiating standpoint more controversial.

Had you told me before the game we'd lose it in OT, I'd have been ok with that. Had you told me we'd blow a lead late in the game, no problem. Had you told me questionable goaltending was the culprit, I'd have said that's status quo, so in the end, I'm really not all that surprised with the result, or even disappointed with it, I just find the way it unfolded hard to swallow.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
TSN
Did You Know:

The Canadiens became the 1st team in NHL history to win a game after trailing by three goals in the final five minutes of the third period.

Montreal was down 4-1 but scored 3 times in the final 3:22 before winning in OT.

Stat via the Elias Sports Bureau

Great.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Anyone else notice the massive disparity between subban and karlsson last night. Karlsson can show up any time for these big games. Last HNIC against the leafs he was asleep. Ceci was pretty much doing everything he should have done. I know I hate on him. But I mean. He has to start doing what elite defensman do. That is, if he is one.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Anyone else notice the massive disparity between subban and karlsson last night. Karlsson can show up any time for these big games. Last HNIC against the leafs he was asleep. Ceci was pretty much doing everything he should have done. I know I hate on him. But I mean. He has to start doing what elite defensman do. That is, if he is one.

Is there anyone who identifies as a Sens fan on these boards that has a bigger vendetta against Karlason than you?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is there anyone who identifies as a Sens fan on these boards that has a bigger vendetta against Karlason than you?

No vendetta. I just think if everyone else on our team can be criticized. Why not karlsson? Especially when he was arguably our worst d man last night. Naturally you should be harder on your stars than you are on your role players.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

He got two assists. What more do you want him to do?

As for the Leafs games, no one apart from the GSN and MacArthur line shows up for those games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's the thing. So many people keep throwing around "elite" "generational". But them they make excuses for him. That doesn't fit.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Karlsson was not why we lost last night. He set up two beautiful goals and was all over the ice. The only way you blame Karlsson for last night was if he was the goalie on the ice because he's the reason we lost. I'm sorry but 3 of those 5 goals were horrible. The last two games we lost to Montreal was because of bad goaltending. There is no way we lose that with Anderson in net because his rebound control is nowhere near as bad as Lehner's is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad